Winelands Cycle Race in September

Paarl Rotary

Yea its a proper read with all the do and dont’s…but seems like they have a decent plan in place. Very strict protocols. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Rain or no rain, ons gaan koud kry... ????

Just pedal faster ;)

I'll bring everything and see during warm up, if it rains before/during the start I'll wear my full rain jacket + gloves.

If it doesn't rain I'll take the sleeves off of the rain jacket and wear arm warmers instead, and still go with gloves.

Doubt I'll wear leg warmers unless it's really freezing, they tend to get heavy when wet.

39 minutes ago, Lucas Swart said:

What would you folks say is the appropriate attire for this race?

Base layer, arm warmers, and leg warmers if the rain stays away.
I won't wear a jacket of any kind since it adds a lot of air resistance, but you'll be much more comfortable with a jacket or gilet (sleeveless windbreaker).

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

Rain or no rain, ons gaan koud kry... ????

Lekker bitter koud mense...

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

I'll bring everything and see during warm up, if it rains before/during the start I'll wear my full rain jacket + gloves.

If it doesn't rain I'll take the sleeves off of the rain jacket and wear arm warmers instead, and still go with gloves.

Doubt I'll wear leg warmers unless it's really freezing, they tend to get heavy when wet.

If a Frenchy is planning on wearing winter kit then you know us SAFFAS need to be considering Arctic wear!!????

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

If a Frenchy is planning on wearing winter kit then you know us SAFFAS need to be considering Arctic wear!!????

Frenchy from the south though ;)

Thanks for the advice and confidence boosters up to this point folks. Makes me glad to be joining this community. I have one more rookie question if you'll humour me a bit more.

If I'm used to riding SPDs on a different bike, but haven't used them before on the bike I'm doing this race with (my Battaglin steel frame), do you think it's wise to put SPD's on the Battaglin now, right before the race?

2 hours ago, Lucas Swart said:

Thanks for the advice and confidence boosters up to this point folks. Makes me glad to be joining this community. I have one more rookie question if you'll humour me a bit more.

If I'm used to riding SPDs on a different bike, but haven't used them before on the bike I'm doing this race with (my Battaglin steel frame), do you think it's wise to put SPD's on the Battaglin now, right before the race?

I use the same shoes on 3 bikes. (Although you’ll get stoned by the town roadies if they see you riding a road bike with mtb spds haha). Wear them with secret socks for extra effect. Its more acceptable on a gravel bike though (mtb shoes)…but then i also ride my helmet with the visor on everything because i cant be bothered to remove it because fashion says so. This is considered blasphemy in road cycling but i do what i want lol.

if your bikes are set up similarly and you are comfortable with spd’s, do it. There shouldnt then be any real difference between how they feel on the different bikes.

No it’s actually a good idea if you know your shoes well and are happy with your cleat position. Just try it today to make sure you don’t need to move your seatpost up a little, the pedals+Cleats might make your pedals a bit thicker

49 minutes ago, Jbr said:

No it’s actually a good idea if you know your shoes well and are happy with your cleat position. Just try it today to make sure you don’t need to move your seatpost up a little, the pedals+Cleats might make your pedals a bit thicker

100% this. and especially with mtb/spd shoes. Their stack is quite high compared to the less peasant orientated shoes I cant afford (read - they dont make my size). The difference between wearing flats and clipless on my bike is almost 10mm lol.

Just a few hours to go????‍♂️????‍♀️

Latest update on the weather gurus?

Starting in C Group, what can i expect? From the gun? and pace?