Winelands Cycle Race in September

Paarl Rotary

15 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Smallish bunches with start chutes spread far apart on a big school grounds. Why wouldn't it go ahead?

i dont know about "shouldn't" but the how is important. At some piint 50 to 100 people are going to congregate in a bunch and sweat all over each other

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

i dont know about "shouldn't" but the how is important. At some piint 50 to 100 people are going to congregate in a bunch and sweat all over each other

It's a cycle race, not a festival moshpit...????

Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 14.55.20.png

Edited by capediver
Sorry, I just couldn't help myself, this image sprung to mind...!!!

First group heads off at 7:00. If you do 20 groups of 75 they could start 6min apart and we're all on the road before 9:00. You would be virtually guaranteed to never have bunches bigger than 75 out on the road since merging is typically less than half of one start group catching less than half of another. That is if big bunches is your biggest concern.
I'm sure they had to submit some crazy detailed plan that some fat cat barely looked at for a few minutes.

4 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Wish all "small" races could just follow the self-seed approach of WP.
Few people would really willingly join a bunch that's way too strong for them, and at this point so many people have no recent events to indicate current ability. 

Completely different type of crowds at WP League races and PPA funrides, think quite a few at PPA events will over-estimate their abilities. Think most people deciding to try their hand at WP League races have done enough funrides to more or less know the limit of their abilities.

Think I'm going to enter this one, really keen to get going again. By some miracle I still have a B seeding so hopefully an early start ????

2 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Completely different type of crowds at WP League races and PPA funrides, think quite a few at PPA events will over-estimate their abilities. Think most people deciding to try their hand at WP League races have done enough funrides to more or less know the limit of their abilities.

And for most not having a recent seeding is probably no big deal. I'm stuck with 18 + 10 penalty, where even the 18 would be selling myself short at this point. ????

1 minute ago, bleedToWin said:

And for most not having a recent seeding is probably no big deal. I'm stuck with 18 + 10 penalty, where even the 18 would be selling myself short at this point. ????

Ja the seeding system only really works when there are multiple races to build up a proper seeding index... Think with the covid  & events cancelled seeding is going to be messy for a long time still. 

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

How is this event even going ahead under Level 3?

SAME can, and SHOULD, be asked of ALL events ..... :cursing:

We have only barely reached 10% vaccination, not the 60 to 60% that is used to motivate most European events.

We are in the midst of a very serious third wave.

Our hospitals are FULL !!!  We are talking in hours from a person away to the next being hooked up to his\her ventilator.  This is not event considering the number of ambulances turned away from private hospitals, as they simply dont have spare beds !!

And PLEASE, let's not kid our selfs with "covid protocols" at events ....

Masks are NOT worn in start shoots .... just look at the photos posted this weekend.

Masks are not worn after the event, and people gather in groups - as reported by riders of these events.

Organisers asks that riders keep at least a bike between each other before\after the event .... NOPE, rather stand hugging each other for the pics, obviously no masks ....  The organisers TRIED, the RIDERS gave a rats arse and dont comply ... guess who will be moaning when events are clamped down again.

NO, this is NOT an "emotional post".  These are merely the facts from the posts and pics after the weekend's events, as posted by Hubbers.

Hier nog BAIE mense onnodig dood gaan, ons wil mos nie saam werk nie.

37 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

SAME can, and SHOULD, be asked of ALL events ..... :cursing:

We have only barely reached 10% vaccination, not the 60 to 60% that is used to motivate most European events.

We are in the midst of a very serious third wave.

Our hospitals are FULL !!!  We are talking in hours from a person away to the next being hooked up to his\her ventilator.  This is not event considering the number of ambulances turned away from private hospitals, as they simply dont have spare beds !!

And PLEASE, let's not kid our selfs with "covid protocols" at events ....

Masks are NOT worn in start shoots .... just look at the photos posted this weekend.

Masks are not worn after the event, and people gather in groups - as reported by riders of these events.

Organisers asks that riders keep at least a bike between each other before\after the event .... NOPE, rather stand hugging each other for the pics, obviously no masks ....  The organisers TRIED, the RIDERS gave a rats arse and dont comply ... guess who will be moaning when events are clamped down again.

NO, this is NOT an "emotional post".  These are merely the facts from the posts and pics after the weekend's events, as posted by Hubbers.

Hier nog BAIE mense onnodig dood gaan, ons wil mos nie saam werk nie.

With MTB events I'm not so fussed, we end up socially distanced within a few km anyway. Start close, socially distance quickly. Road is the opposite, start apart and group together. Even on my weekend rides. I leave home alone and before Fish Hoek I have like 20 okes wheelsucking. It is the way of the roadie. Roadies are like Liverpool fans, they never ride alone

Had to paste this here - sorry!

I tend to mostly agree with the vandals in this hood though ...

778B8E6A-9304-47DD-8439-E7E8ECD97F9C.jpeg

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

snip

snip

i'm sorry to call you out on this again Chris,  but this was an indirect response to something I said in another thread - so ill tend to disagree again.

Heres why:

Without knowing anything about you It's VERY obvious from this and your related posts on this matter, that you are posting from a position of knowing or having close ties to someone working in a hospital or the medical field. I might ofcourse be wrong but to me it is pretty obvious from how it gets you riled up every time.  That inherently means your opinion on these matters are more emotional.

Again...the last post with the picture of the bakkie...and yours is no different to me. They both do the same thing from different angles. He annoys you...you annoy him.  They come from the same place...just different addresses. 

Edited by MORNE

5 minutes ago, MORNE said:

i'm sorry to call you out on this again Chris,  but this was an indirect response to something I said in another thread - so ill tend to disagree again.

Heres why:

Without knowing anything about you It's VERY obvious from this and your related posts on this matter, that you are posting from a position of knowing or having close ties to someone working in a hospital or the medical field. I might ofcourse be wrong but to me it is pretty obvious from how it gets you riled up every time.  That inherently means your opinion on these matters are more emotional.

Slight difference between "factual" and "emotional"....

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

With MTB events I'm not so fussed, we end up socially distanced within a few km anyway. Start close, socially distance quickly. Road is the opposite, start apart and group together. Even on my weekend rides. I leave home alone and before Fish Hoek I have like 20 okes wheelsucking. It is the way of the roadie. Roadies are like Liverpool fans, they never ride alone

20 okes ? I always start alone, and am alone almost all the time, I sometimes get a couple followers around suikerbossie but never for too long, maybe you should go faster or slower ????

Not actually sure faster works, the other day there was that dude who passed everyone with his ebike-road bike (first time I saw one of these) up suikers south. Well he created quite a nice peloton of wheelsuckers (including me) all the way to green point????.