Winelands Cycle Race in September

Paarl Rotary

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Might be worth emailing them. Don't think they got 1500 entries.
image.png.3189c4e9023f8e46f4df9925d7e64af5.png

I'm on the last page of entries. they're still accepting.

but if you don't like riding in the rain, then don't bother

28 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I'm on the last page of entries. they're still accepting.

but if you don't like riding in the rain, then don't bother

Geez that escalated quickly, when I entered no rain was predicted

56 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Geez that escalated quickly, when I entered no rain was predicted

im pretty confident it wont rain. The predicted rain has moved earlier to friday…so obviously that weather cell is moving quicker than anticipated. Sunday seems like the first day of a hotter week after the cold front is finished with its business here. 

5 hours ago, MORNE said:

im pretty confident it wont rain. The predicted rain has moved earlier to friday…so obviously that weather cell is moving quicker than anticipated. Sunday seems like the first day of a hotter week after the cold front is finished with its business here. 

Im going to hope you're right and Windy is wrong ... forecast for Fri, Sat and Sunday in Wellington looking a tad moist

Let’s see on the day, I’ve done so many freezing cold and wet rides lately that I don’t mind one more as long as it’s not too windy! Probably the reason why I feel a little sick !

Test came back negative though so let’s do this !

3 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Let’s see on the day, I’ve done so many freezing cold and wet rides lately that I don’t mind one more as long as it’s not too windy! Probably the reason why I feel a little sick !

Test came back negative though so let’s do this !

The gravel grinders are recruiting - regular rain, mud, wind experience a must, and a beard! ???????? 

2 hours ago, Kom said:

Im going to hope you're right and Windy is wrong ... forecast for Fri, Sat and Sunday in Wellington looking a tad moist

It changed again in the time from my post and your reply haha. Another wet day slipped in there and the warm weather moved a day or two on. Do who knows.

i think ill also just wait and see then. 

ps, after this week and  all the ‘severe storm warnings’ - ive decided that the cape town weather man also only reads apps or is totally melodramatic.
All the scare mongering literally culminated in some mild rain and and a bit of cold….

After that “storm of the century” a few years back that basically ended up in some foam on the prominade…I decided that cape townians dont know what severe weather is.  
When you get a weather warning in GP, you sure as hell better be home, in the dark with all your chit removed from the sockets and your car parked under a roof or higher ground haha. There the weather man is backed up by the messages you receive from your insurance to do what the hell he tells you to. 

Morne my birthday is next week, so for many decades the weather at this time of year has impacted on our planning for the day ....

On the odd occasion it is an early winter, and September is nice .... and weather predictable ....

This week last year it was snowing on Swartbergpass, and the Cape town weather "very changable" ....

Thus far, August 2021 has thrown down some extreme changable weather in the Cape .... the more than 100mm rain for August certainly far exceed our normal rainfall.

Certainly seems the weather prophets have not figured out what September is holding in stock for us ....

Hope the riders get a good day for the event

The August rainfall is nothing out of the ordinary. See the long term averages. In fact, before last week's rain, the rain for August were way below the average....

Capture.JPG

Edited by Titleist

Hi folks. I have signed up for Sunday's race, it will be my first race and I am going alone, riding a 1987 Battaglin steel frame. I have done quite a few 50-85km rides but this will be my longest yet. I intend to take it relatively slow and try not to get in anyone's way. I am also doing the Greyton Pie Run gravel race (on my MTB) later this month, and the Cape Town Cycle Tour next month, so I am joining this one as a practice run. 

Any other relative beginners doing this ride?

Any tips from more experienced riders?

Thank you! 

Hi, just try not be alone as it gets much harder especially if it's windy. If you find a group that you can hang on to comfortably make sure you don't lose it and also try to take a few turns when you can so that you're not just a passenger (depending on the size of the group, if it's a big group you can easily hide and let the others do the work, but in a smaller group it's not cool ;))