Kids Bike and what size

Stevie G

Hi all

Just wanted some input on buying a bike for my daughter. I think she will enjoy it and riding with me.

So i am looking for a decent entry level bike for her. She is 10 and about 1.2m

Is there any difference in the entry level bikes and what brand is preferred and which shops in CPT.

Budget is about 1k to 2.5k

Dunno much about kiddies bikes and i don't think it's not worth buying a 2nd hand kiddies bike also.

20 minutes ago, Stevie G said:

Hi all

Just wanted some input on buying a bike for my daughter. I think she will enjoy it and riding with me.

So i am looking for a decent entry level bike for her. She is 10 and about 1.2m

Is there any difference in the entry level bikes and what brand is preferred and which shops in CPT.

Budget is about 1k to 2.5k

Dunno much about kiddies bikes and i don't think it's not worth buying a 2nd hand kiddies bike also.

You want to buy a new bike for 2.5k?

That's hypermarket quality range. 

anything up from that starts at about R3k5 for the basic avalanche https://avalanchebicycles.co.za/junior-2021/

Titan are good bang for buck

Yep, new nothing decent can be had for R2.5k let alone R1k.

Get a 2nd hand Titan Calypso or Hades.  

I bought my son a 2nd hand Titan Hades 24D for R2 600. Basic front shock, disc brakes.

24 inch or 26 inch XS - i would look rather for a 26 inch XS as your daughter will be able to ride for longer

Titans are great - lots of options come up. Momsen also make some great bikes for kids but generally less bikes floating around so prices may be higher

I would not stress too much about disc brakes - a well looked after bike with rim brakes will also do the job well

53 minutes ago, JulienR said:

24 inch or 26 inch XS - i would look rather for a 26 inch XS as your daughter will be able to ride for longer

Titans are great - lots of options come up. Momsen also make some great bikes for kids but generally less bikes floating around so prices may be higher

I would not stress too much about disc brakes - a well looked after bike with rim brakes will also do the job well

I am going to have to disagree. If you intend on doing trails they don't do the job well for small (weak) hands.

4 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

I am going to have to disagree. If you intend on doing trails they don't do the job well for small (weak) hands.

Many of the entry level kids bikes have cable operated disc brakes - are these better than rim brakes? I am not so sure...Hydraulic disc brakes are very good but i am not so sure about cable disc brakes...

4 minutes ago, JulienR said:

Many of the entry level kids bikes have cable operated disc brakes - are these better than rim brakes? I am not so sure...Hydraulic disc brakes are very good but i am not so sure about cable disc brakes...

It is a moot point. 

I have since upgraded my son's brakes to hydraulic brakes so you might be onto something. 

I did only have to buy a set of used hydraulic brakes to do this though and it only put me R500 out of pocket. Not an easy task if the bike started out with rim brakes. 

Edited by Rolf Hansen

9 minutes ago, Stevie G said:

what's your opinion on this bike and what to check for any issues

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/kids-bikes/499807/avalanche-cosmic-24-girls

That will do the job. Not all that much that can go wrong there. 

Depending on the size and strength of your daughters hands she might struggle with the Shimano RevoShift but that you can sort out for a few hundred Rand if it is an issue.

Stevie based on her height this bike seems perfect size.

What must you look out for :

- The grip shift do get "tight".  Few years back it cost a few hundred rand for trigger shift for these bikes.

- The grip next to the grip shift often comes loose .... but if you swop out to trigger shifters you will be fitting proper grips in any case.

- based on these two photos is seems the bike has not been riden much ... chain, gears, wheel bearings should still be good.  May be a good idea to just do a proper service, and relube all the bearing surfaces.

- these brakes are okay for a kids weight.  Just takes a bit of time to set it up properly, part of the service.

For the money ... BUY QUICK !!!!  that bike wont hang around long.

PS - these wheels are not tubeless ready.  Get tubes with removable cores, and add "Sludge" in the tubes.  It WORKS :clap:

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

PS - these wheels are not tubeless ready.  Get tubes with removable cores, and add "Sludge" in the tubes.  It WORKS :clap:

I can attest to that. My sons' and my wife's bikes have slime in the tubes and this works incredibly well.

I have Enduro Seal in my wife's bike even though is is not specifically specified for tubes it has been running like that without punctures for several months. My sons' bikes have the Sportsmans Warehouse slime specifically for tubes. Also been going for months.

We ride trails every weekend.

Edited by Rolf Hansen

Having just gone through this exercise of purchasing for my 1.2m son( 1.2 a few months ago), I was looking at 20 inch bikes, though with the newer 24inch bikes, and their low seat heights, he was comfortable on it.
Has he been riding or starting off?
I'd suggest a used branded bike as there are plenty available in the cape i nthe 24 inch range, and most girls bikes are in a better condition than boys bikes. You would save more than 50% on a new bike.
I was also weary on the disc brakes but it is much better than the rim brakes, even on kiddies bikes, even if only mechanical disc brakes. The bikes with disc brakes are also easier to resell.
I think a 26inch will be too large for her current height.

So i bought it yesteday and he serviced it before selling it to me. Daughter very excited and happy about the bike. Now i just need some elbow and knee pads with a helmet. I saw this on takealot for a good deal.

What' your opinion of this.

https://betterbuys.co.za/product/protective-gear-kit-adjustable-sports-guard-kit-knee-elbow-wrist-guards-with-helmet-for-kids-purple-pink/

Or is there anything better out there perhaps

Is there a return policy - IF the helmet does not fit her ?

Other than that, GO for it.  A happy rider is more inclined to use "basic" equipment than possibly better quality that does not put a smile on her face.