1x11 Upgrade Conversion on Giant Talon 2019 with 12 Speed parts

jdcallan

I would like to convert my Giant Talon 3 2019 to a 1x System.
It currently has a 3x8 with the following specs: https://99spokes.com/en/bikes/giant/2019/talon-3

I have sourced the following parts locally and want to know if these would all fit on my Talon. I know the Talon doesnt come with a microspline hub hence the choice of a 11 speed cassette. However I would like to use all the other 12 parts where possible.

Any assistance with the upgrade would be appreciated. 

SHIMANO DEORE M6100 SGS 12 SPD REAR DERAILER
SHIMANO DEORE M5100 CASSETTE 11-51T 11SPD or SUNRACE MZ903 12-Speed Cassette 11-51T
SHIMANO HG701 11 SPD CHAIN
SHIMANO Deore M6100 Right Shift Lever 12-Speed
CSIXX Shimano XT TT Chainring - 96 BCD

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-deore-m6100-sgs-12-spd-rear-derailer
https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-deore-m5100-cassette-11-51t-11spd
https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-hg701-11-spd-chain

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/shimano-deore-m6100-right-shift-lever-12-speed?variant=32537046417492
https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/drivetrain-components-1/products/sunrace-mz903-12-speed-cassette-11-51t
https://bike-addict.co.za/products/csixx-shimano-xt-tt-chainring-96-bcd?variant=2352967417865

Your problem is not really not having microspline...the sram12 speed  nx fits on HG body...but your HG body on your hub might not be wide enough for 11 or 12...some hubs you'll be able to put on a newer freewheel body 

Thanks @HowardSteele, I have been looking for more into on the standard hub: Giant Tracker Sport QR but cant really find any specifications. 
Would you suggest not proceed with with a 11 or 12 rather come down to a 1x10?

The easiest option is to just take your bike to your  bike shop ..they will check your frame ,it might not be wide enough to accept the extended fwb and  and tell you if its possible..or the biggest conversion you can do...H.

My thoughts are as follows:

1. Check if it is MTB or road bike (dont laugh was thread a week ago where this was not clear and it caused confusion) ... thr Talon is a MTB, thus up to 11 speed cassettes fit.  Correction, now even a few 12 speed cassettes do.

2.  11 vs 12, ..... uhm ja .... ONLY consider 12 speed if you the best of all parts !!  Even 1x12 with sran GX was iffy at best .... continually tuning the barrel adjuster during a ride gets old quickly.

In contrast the 1x11 seems to just WORK

3. Real world advantages of 12 vs 11?  Well on the standard hub you stay with the 11.tooth. you need to go all in to get the benefit of the 10 tooth.

Slightly better spacing between the larger gears.

4. What parts to use? What is available seems to be the more prudent question ..... after MONTHS of stock issues I finally got a mix of Deore and SLX parts last week for a 1x11 upgrade.

5. Get a long cage derailure .....

DISCLAIMER - Having owned two bikes with 1x12 sram GX we now have four bikes all with Shimano 1x11 ... HAPPINESS :)

My two cents: don't worry about 12 speed and go for 11. You can get a 11/50T cassette for the back if you really want the range. The other thing is that you will need a 104BCD NW chainring and not a 96BCD. You can confirm by measuring the diagonal bolt spacing but I am almost 100% convinced that a 3x crank will be 104.

Then: the crank you currently have on the bike is a square taper crank which adds quite a bit of weight. I would also replace that with a hollowtech Shimano with a threaded BB, it will fit

Edited by RobertWhitehead
Added some more advise

If you stick to the Shimano parts as you listed with a sunrace cassette, I see no issue going 11 or 12, your choice.  I was on 1x11 for a while, believe me that one extra gear on 12 does make a difference since the gaps between gears are much better.

Only drawback of HG and not Microspline is the smallest cog can only be 11 teeth and not 10.  You can offset that though in front with a bigger chain ring should you want more speed.

Edit 01:  Like Robert said, just make sure of the PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter, from center to center on 2 diagonal bolt holes) on your chainring, its probably 104, but rather measure it to be sure.

Edit 02:  If you go 11sp, you can go for a 12sp DR BUT chain, cassette and shifter must be 11sp.  If you go 12sp, everything needs to be 12sp obviously.  You can get a XTR shifter that can do 11 or 12 speed (with selection switch) but they are very pricy.

Edited by TheoG

Guys guys guys 

He has 12spd shifters, derailer and chain 

He wants to puts on the 11spd cassette cause he can't otherwise and wants to know how well everything is going to work together, not if either is better or worse than the other 

22 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Guys guys guys 

He has 12spd shifters, derailer and chain 

He wants to puts on the 11spd cassette cause he can't otherwise and wants to know how well everything is going to work together, not if either is better or worse than the other 

As I read it, he have no new components yet, he want advise what to buy and what to do ....

Thanks all for the insightful feedback. 

For clarity I have not yet purchased the parts, I was looking for guidance as TheoG mentioned. Some of the key factors was the parts availability, I started looking into the upgrade only because I saw 12 speed upgrade kits/parts on sale but couldnt find much for 10 or 11 speed.

From the the info above I have two options:

R999 - SHIMANO DEORE M6100 SGS 12 SPD REAR DERAILER
R470 - SHIMANO Deore M6100 12-Speed MTB Chain
R670 - SHIMANO Deore M6100 Right Shift Lever 12-Speed
R2500 - SUNRACE MZ903 12-Speed Cassette 11-51T
R810 - RACE FACE Narrow Wide Chainring 104BCD (Keep standard crank for now)

Total: ~R5450

OR 

R840 - SHIMANO DEORE M5120 SGS 10/11SPD REAR DERAILER
R500 - SHIMANO HG601 11 SPD CHAIN
R1700 - SHIMANO DEORE M5100 CASSETTE 11-51T 11SPD
R670 - SHIMANO Deore M6100 Right Shift Lever 12-Speed (Unable to find any 11s shifters online, this should work?)
R810 - RACE FACE Narrow Wide Chainring 104BCD (Keep standard crank for now)

Total: ~ R4520

Any final thoughts on this? Value for money or should I hold off for black friday?

Yes, no adds for 11 speed kits.

But I managed to get all the parts for under R4 500, start of October 2021.

If your can't mix 11 & 12 SPD components. You must either get all 11spd or all 12spd.

My opinion go all 11spd, there are plenty upgrade kits available new and used in the the classified section.

#shimanoforfishing #SRAMforracing ????

12 speed shifter will not work on 11sp, the spacing between gears is not the same.

I would go 12 speed, but that's just me, still your choice, any of the 2 is a huge improvement on what you have now.

Edit:  I have a used but still very good condition XT 12sp shifter for you if you interested.  You can have it at half RRP, just let me know.

Edited by TheoG

Can I ask why you want to upgrade the drivetrain? Are you experiencing issues with it or do you just want to move to something better?

If your bike is still the same spec as in the link I'd much rather spend money on upgrading the fork if I were you. Not helpful to your questions but thought I would put it out there.

I don't do long marathon ride but I run a 1x9 and I am perfectly happy with it. Will move to 1x11 when the parts wear out.

@Rolf Hansen excellent question. ????

I was looking for a fork but was unable to find something that would suit the budget and spec. 

I have a small frame, 27.5 Fork. No deals or stock anywhere for that including the used market. 

The drivetrain I have currently works fine but I want to transition to the 1x for ease of use. 

Would most likely upgrade to a better spec bike when I'm ready.