How to disable ERG mode

Frosty

I need to help some friends that need to do AC/NMP workouts using a Kickr Core. I don't have the luxury of using a smart trainer, so can't tell them step by step how to do it. They say the resistance is too hard for them to push power for 15-20s at power >500W.

I've told them not to pair the controllable device (the icon that shows as a trainer), but rather to let their Garmin read the power (weight icon) being produced from the Kickr. But they don't know how to do it, or it they do get it right, they find the resistance is so great that they grind to a halt.

Surely it's not that difficult to make a Kickr a non-smart trainer?
Does anyone have a step by step instruction, for people that are non-IT savvy?

37 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I need to help some friends that need to do AC/NMP workouts using a Kickr Core. I don't have the luxury of using a smart trainer, so can't tell them step by step how to do it. They say the resistance is too hard for them to push power for 15-20s at power >500W.

I've told them not to pair the controllable device (the icon that shows as a trainer), but rather to let their Garmin read the power (weight icon) being produced from the Kickr. But they don't know how to do it, or it they do get it right, they find the resistance is so great that they grind to a halt.

Surely it's not that difficult to make a Kickr a non-smart trainer?
Does anyone have a step by step instruction, for people that are non-IT savvy?

go and do some googling on Zwift power. You can set the Kickr that the Wahoo App controls it rather than Garmin or zwift as well. Just download the Kickr app and then ride from within there. It's kind of all app based and designed that way. But that's a lot of power.

TBH it sounds like your mate needs ERG mode enabled as without it at 500 watts he would really need to be a power house.

But agreed rather use the Wahoo utilities 

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

500 for 20sec is quite a lot,....maybe its an FTP probem and not an ERG problem?

What platform are they using, Zwift, TrainerRoad, Tacx Training App, Rouvy?

the 15s includes getting up to speed. Basically an all out but sustainable effort, like closing a gap, repeatedly.
It's definitely not an FTP thing.

One is using Zwift, another Rouvy and the other just the Garmin.
  image.png.27389e7c8b954b269a12e3c9fa448963.png

1 hour ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

go and do some googling on Zwift power. You can set the Kickr that the Wahoo App controls it rather than Garmin or zwift as well. Just download the Kickr app and then ride from within there. It's kind of all app based and designed that way. But that's a lot of power.

1 hour ago, Dexter-morgan said:

What about the Wahoo app, there you can switch it on and off, Not Wahoo systm but the normal Wahoo app, even the wahoo utility would work.

44 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

TBH it sounds like your mate needs ERG mode enabled as without it at 500 watts he would really need to be a power house.

Does the workout file generated in Intervals.icu make a difference when using the Wahoo system?
I've read the workouts aren't easy to push to a wahoo *device. Does that include the app?

50 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

the problem with ERG enabled is that it will ramp up sharply from the rest power of say 180W. That's where a lot of people come unstuck. I switch ERG off in Zwift for these workouts.

otherwise the trainer difficulty settings should provide the necessary ramp up feel.

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

the problem with ERG enabled is that it will ramp up sharply from the rest power of say 180W. That's where a lot of people come unstuck. I switch ERG off in Zwift for these workouts.

otherwise the trainer difficulty settings should provide the necessary ramp up feel.

That's exactly what they say, the power ramps up too quickly and they grind to a halt.
Part of the effort is to push hard on the pedals to simulate that attack required to close the gap.

1 minute ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I am sure in Garmin connect you will be able to define that portion.

the workouts are done in Intervals and sync'd to Garmin using the calendar function.
The power is also then averaged in Garmin Connect (235%) if the workout is built for say 220-250% of of FTP.

Garmin Connect can only accept 80 steps, so adding 5-10s steps in power to wind up to speed might make it difficult to comply with the number of steps limit.

The workout is basically
warmup - 4 steps
main set - 15 repeats of 2 steps (work and recover)
cool down 1-  step

So that's technically 6 steps, so I could build the workout to be
warmup - 4 steps
main set - 15 repeats of:

• 1s 80%
  • 1s 100%
  • 1s 120%
  • 1s 140%
  • 1s 170%
  • 1s 200%
  • 1s 230%
  • 8-13s 250%
  • 1m40s - 1m45s at recovery power

cooldown - 1 step 

1 hour ago, Dexter-morgan said:

What about the Wahoo app, there you can switch it on and off, Not Wahoo systm but the normal Wahoo app, even the wahoo utility would work.

So I've downloaded the Wahoo app, and I see it allows me to pair a sensor.
I assume the BLE connection it's trying to pick up will be the power meter or the controllable sensor?
If it's the controllable sensor, is it then there where the ERG mode can be turned on/off?

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

So I've downloaded the Wahoo app, and I see it allows me to pair a sensor.
I assume the BLE connection it's trying to pick up will be the power meter or the controllable sensor?
If it's the controllable sensor, is it then there where the ERG mode can be turned on/off?

It should pick up the Wahoo Kickr, when you scroll left, there should be options to switch on or off.

2 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

It should pick up the Wahoo Kickr, when you scroll left, there should be options to switch on or off.

I'll have to coach him through the app and see what happens, thanks. Very old school (not tech savvy at all).