How to disable ERG mode

Frosty

22 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Slightly off topic... why would 500W for 15-20 seconds be a struggle?

image.png.4f79ff3a1878630745c9ec45ad244676.png

image.png.3f3c2bb369c9aac15a628f6c9e1f19d4.png

On a trainer with ERG engaged it is due to the ramp up. Its best to conduct these workouts in free mode.

I have the same problem with a Tacx Neo in zwift or TTS4. Even with trainer difficulty wound down its still a severe ramp up

Just now, DieselnDust said:

On a trainer with ERG engaged it is due to the ramp up. Its best to conduct these workouts in free mode.

I have the same problem with a Tacx Neo in zwift or TTS4. Even with trainer difficulty wound down its still a severe ramp up

Makes sense on ERG mode, which is why I'm trying to get them to do these types of workouts in free mode.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

the 15s includes getting up to speed. Basically an all out but sustainable effort, like closing a gap, repeatedly.
It's definitely not an FTP thing.

One is using Zwift, another Rouvy and the other just the Garmin.
  image.png.27389e7c8b954b269a12e3c9fa448963.png

Zwift and Rouvy have an option in the setting menu to disable ERG.

Garmin I think you have to set the target power range ( I don't use my garmin to control the trainer when doing a workout pulled into zwift. - to many ANT+ dropouts).

But if they have a pm on the bike I'd rather pair that and set the trainer to a constant slope of say 1% or 2% to provide some resistance.

Edited by DieselnDust

58 minutes ago, Marcv said:

depends who you are i guess, for me thats 8.5 W/kg......i could maybe do 5 intervals like that and then fall over :) 

For Zwift I just use the companion app to turn erg mode on and off. decent article on the options: How to Use ERG Mode In Zwift - SMART Bike Trainers

It's only 15 sets of 15-20s at 200-220% of FTP... not that hard. The person's FTP is 257.
A good workout.

I received another recommendation for Zwift.

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Zwift and Rouvy have an option in the setting menu to disable ERG.

Garmin I think you have to set the target power range ( I don't use my garmin to control the trainer when doing a workout pulled into zwift. - to many ANT+ dropouts).

But if they have a pm on the bike I'd rather pair that and set the trainer to a constant slope of say 1% or 2% to provide some resistance.

For one it's possible; the others unfortunately the trainer is their PM.

49 minutes ago, Frosty said:

It's only 15 sets of 15-20s at 200-220% of FTP... not that hard. The person's FTP is 257.
A good workout.

I received another recommendation for Zwift.

Mine is also 257, let me try it. what are the rest periods between intervals?

I have done these workouts before in Zwift without issues using erg mode. I found that attacking the effort before it actually starts allows you to prevent the spiral of death. I am using a Cyclops Hammer H2 

1 hour ago, Marcv said:

Mine is also 257, let me try it. what are the rest periods between intervals?

1m40 if you do 20s
1m45 if you do 15s

You should be able to do the same power on interval 15 as you do on number 1. Likewise, don’t hold back early on and save it for the last few.

once done, you should feel like you can do another set, or more. Climb off your bike, not fall off.

edit: if you want the ERG, ZWO or MRC file, I can download and save here.

15x15s_NP_bursts.zip

Edited by Frosty
Added the workout files

And make sure you well rested are coming into it with a least two days after a hard workout. I’ve been training polarised (2 hard sessions out of 10) for 3 months, and find the hard workouts easier to complete than before I changed to the 3-zone model.

Edited by Frosty