What causes this on a 1.5 year old tyre

Steady Spin

11 minutes ago, MudLark said:

I am interested in @DieselnDust's waveform view. I've often thought that it must be the flexing of the sidewall that does this over time (a less erudite way of saying much the same thing?). I can't see what else it can be, other than perhaps also some degree of natural abrasion if you ride trails and rocks etc. a fair bit. I have a few tyres like that with still usable tread but generally I replace them at a certain point even if the tread is still okay. Whether it is underinflation depends upon your view. I typically run the 2.2 tyres in question around 1.6 (front) and 1.8 bar (rear) on a 23/24mm internal width rim and I'm the low 80's. So more or less within spec AFAIK. But they end up like that over time anyway. So for me, it's just part of the normal tyre wear factor. Sidewalls wear just like the tread does - for me anyway.

@RobertWhitehead, I think he's smoking his socks. But I am now using a water based sealant (Ryder) and I suspect the same thing will happen again anyway.

Hence why it was "another guy" ????. I didn't buy it when he mentioned it but he's quite a big oke so I just let it slide and kept it for when it came up as a discussion on the hea-old hub ????. I personally believe that it is actually the way the Tyre is made, it makes sense that the rubber will come off the woven string first. I don't believe that it is structural or a problem in any way 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its quite safe to ride. All that has happened is some of the very thin outer coating has worn off, but the structure of the tyre will be intact.

My Continental Cross Kings all look like that

Edited by guidodg

When we got the Mongoose it was a few years old already, maybe 5+ years, with the original Kenda tires.

The tires had hardly any wear on it, similar "white marks" -

1300212312_Mongooserevamp-71-Copy.jpg.32acc37493b6272998a73ec95471bf5a.jpg

The tires had tubes, so certainly not as a result of some or other tubeless products.

Never found out what caused it.  Replaced it when we did the tubeless conversion.

The reason I believe it is caused by wave forms is the equal distance between the wear lines on the tyre side wall and the root being the contact patch and anchor at the tyre bead. If it were due to the trail I would expect the wear marks to be irregular in Origin, direction and end point .

The phenomenon is well researched in motor vehicle tyres, especially high performance application's were the load and speed is high. Bicycles travel much slower but the tyre is also proportionally far lighter for the load it carries. We also generally don't see these marks in road bike tyres since they are operated at much high pressure, are narrower and thinner in construction.

The waves in motor vehicle tyres seem to also start at the same point and this does over time result in a weak point. Pirelli often had these challenges with the F1 tyres when they got the construction wrong for a track or tyre pressure the cars were running. The quick fix is Jack up the pressure to change the frequency of the wave. 

It worthwhile studying this further in bicycle tyres but generally it does not result in a safety concern due to low speeds and low pressure involved.

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The reason I believe it is caused by wave forms is the equal distance between the wear lines on the tyre side wall and the root being the contact patch and anchor at the tyre bead. If it were due to the trail I would expect the wear marks to be irregular in Origin, direction and end point .

The phenomenon is well researched in motor vehicle tyres, especially high performance application's were the load and speed is high. Bicycles travel much slower but the tyre is also proportionally far lighter for the load it carries. We also generally don't see these marks in road bike tyres since they are operated at much high pressure, are narrower and thinner in construction.

The waves in motor vehicle tyres seem to also start at the same point and this does over time result in a weak point. Pirelli often had these challenges with the F1 tyres when they got the construction wrong for a track or tyre pressure the cars were running. The quick fix is Jack up the pressure to change the frequency of the wave. 

It worthwhile studying this further in bicycle tyres but generally it does not result in a safety concern due to low speeds and low pressure involved.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

14 minutes ago, DJR said:

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

I haven’t found any decent videos of this in bicycle tyres but there are some on YouTube in motor vehicle tyres

Edited by DieselnDust

18 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

18 month old Specialized Butcher with 1500km on the tyre  

Normally run at 18 PSI on the front. 

New tyres not quite in the budget right now so the main question is will it hold another 6 months? Best to start running it at 20 instead?

I'm impressed on how well u looks after your knobs after 1.5yrs lol.

Look brand new

In other tyre concerns, when is small cracks on sidewalks....safe still?

1st pic.freewheel cycology just did a warranty replacement  on these wheels for those cracks for 6month old tyres as they deemed it not safe.

2nd pic. Looking at my maxxis that's 7month old has these cracks...are they safe?

Screenshot_20211031-153608_Gallery_compress37.jpg

Screenshot_20211031-153524_Gallery_compress57.jpg

5 hours ago, guidodg said:

its quite safe to ride. All that has happened is some of the very thin outer coating has worn off, but the structure of the tyre will be intact.

My Continental Cross Kings all look like that

Never ever ever again will I buy/ride Conti MTB tires. 

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Why?

26 minutes ago, M L said:

Never ever ever again will I buy/ride Conti MTB tires. 

Yes why?  I'm running mine for more than a year now with zero issues.

Edited by TheoG

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I haven’t found any decent videos of this in bicycle tyres but there are some on YouTube in motor vehicle tyres

Well that will eventually blow out.