What causes this on a 1.5 year old tyre

Steady Spin

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great knobs, bad sidewall...mmm had me some Butchers like that, they don't like to be under-inflated and brand new and two weeks of riding the F-place, they looked exactly like that..had to ditch them with perfectly good tread cause they started rolling and burping....looked good hanging outside the chalet window when we left!

So, what brand?

Edited by capediver

Is this only pressure? As I also tend to get this and I’m VERY specific on my pressure.

I do tend to ride my bike pretty hard especially into corners though, could this be the cause?

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Age and too low pressure for too long.

Can't put it more simply

+1

18 month old Specialized Butcher with 1500km on the tyre  

Normally run at 18 PSI on the front. 

New tyres not quite in the budget right now so the main question is will it hold another 6 months? Best to start running it at 20 instead?

41 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Those marks are due to underinflation

No other reasons? I run 30 psi on a 2.4 with 29mm internal rims, which is on the higher side pressure wise.

33 minutes ago, AkwA said:

No other reasons? I run 30 psi on a 2.4 with 29mm internal rims, which is on the higher side pressure wise.

Generally no, as the tyre rolls along it deforms.if it's underinflated it doesn't have enough spring in it and a wave forms in the tyre. The wave travels along the plies and sheds rubber over time. Having sealant in there adds to the effect. 

Consider it a wear and tear indicator. If it gets bad enough the tyre can fail against rocks. There are ways to avoid it like not riding on the road when the tyre is underinflated or using lower rolling resistance tyres or reducing the load on the tyre or higher pressures closer to the recommended minimum.

I heard from another guy that the tires do that because of the ammonia in the sealant. Apparently Stan's is the culprit, he sounded very sure of his facts but I can not confirm nor deny that this is in fact true ????. Although, mine does not look like this and I do not use Stans 

29 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I heard from another guy that the tires do that because of the ammonia in the sealant. Apparently Stan's is the culprit, he sounded very sure of his facts but I can not confirm nor deny that this is in fact true ????. Although, mine does not look like this and I do not use Stans 

And the ammonia is on the inside 

I am interested in @DieselnDust's waveform view. I've often thought that it must be the flexing of the sidewall that does this over time (a less erudite way of saying much the same thing?). I can't see what else it can be, other than perhaps also some degree of natural abrasion if you ride trails and rocks etc. a fair bit. I have a few tyres like that with still usable tread but generally I replace them at a certain point even if the tread is still okay. Whether it is underinflation depends upon your view. I typically run the 2.2 tyres in question around 1.6 (front) and 1.8 bar (rear) on a 23/24mm internal width rim and I'm the low 80's. So more or less within spec AFAIK. But they end up like that over time anyway. So for me, it's just part of the normal tyre wear factor. Sidewalls wear just like the tread does - for me anyway.

@RobertWhitehead, I think he's smoking his socks. But I am now using a water based sealant (Ryder) and I suspect the same thing will happen again anyway.