Merida carbon hard tail *PLEASE HELP*

Karlhub

Hi everyone, 

I have a problem. 
i have started to ride more and more aggressively (came from XC) and now I bought myself a new bike, a 2018 Merida team big nine hardtail,

it is an amazing bike and the frame weighs just 900g but I NEED a dropper post, I bought one now assuming it would work but apparently this model cannot use a dropper post, so now I sit with a dilemma I have a amazing bike but the frame isn’t working for me. I was wondering if anyone has or knows anyone who has a Hardtail 29 frame medium or large that is INTERNAL DROPPER POST READY (30.9 or bigger) who is willing to trade for my frame, even something less high of a spec. It’s a medium 29 inch frame! 
Let me know! 

Ps if anyone has a way of making it work on my frame it would be Appreciated.

8031AE4B-0737-4A0C-8110-56464CDC8A1E.jpeg

57FC2FBD-4318-4CE9-BFB9-B9238B33E0A6.jpeg

EBE01527-F050-40E3-B740-CF1340C3A5A0.jpeg

4379A7B6-F306-44EF-987B-91E48FF4C406.jpeg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Karlboi16 said:

Hi everyone, 

I have a problem. 
i have started to ride more and more aggressively (came from XC) and now I bought myself a new bike, a 2018 Merida team big nine hardtail,

it is an amazing bike and the frame weighs just 900g but I NEED a dropper post, I bought one now assuming it would work but apparently this model cannot use a dropper post, so now I sit with a dilemma I have a amazing bike but the frame isn’t working for me. I was wondering if anyone has or knows anyone who has a Hardtail 29 frame medium or large that is INTERNAL DROPPER POST READY (30.9 or bigger) who is willing to trade for my frame, even something less high of a spec. It’s a medium 29 inch frame! 
Let me know! 

Ps if anyone has a way of making it work on my frame it would be Appreciated.

Nice bike, such a pity it does not cater for a dropper.  Must say I'm a bit surprised a 2018 model doesn't take a dropper.  My 2013 Rocky Mountain does cater for a dropper, maybe its a full sus vs hardtail thing ???

Just saw @Jono post, maybe it can take a dropper after all, holding thumbs for you.

I think the ptoblem is the cable coming out to the bar. This is a 1x frame so only has holes for rear mech and rear hydraulic.

Easiest and cheapest fix: improve your confidence and skills. Not sure what and where you ride, but I used to ride a hardtail down anything and everything. Sure, it was rough at times but never an issue. This was when droppers didn't exist. #justsaying

Not being facetious....

3 minutes ago, mrcg said:

Easiest and cheapest fix: improve your confidence and skills. Not sure what and where you ride, but I used to ride a hardtail down anything and everything. Sure, it was rough at times but never an issue. This was when droppers didn't exist. #justsaying

Not being facetious....

Just because you don’t have doesn’t mean you shouldn’t. 
Riding with a dropper is amazing.

Why don’t you still ride the same bike you did 20-25 years ago? It would survive, but it’s a lot more fun on modern bikes.

I'm pretty sure you could run an internal routed dropper there. The other cables are routed. 

Maybe take some snaps of the cable ports on both sides of the head tube junction?

I reckon it's an easy fix. I'm more than happy to take a look for you

Run it into the frame on the left where the other cables go in. If the insert only allows for 2, you should be able to get another insert to allow a 3rd cable in.

3 hours ago, Jono said:

Seems like you can fit a dropper...

Screenshot_20211031-141329_Chrome.jpg.becfe93203d7682e8cd4573cf7453bb6.jpg

Trust me I have read that paragraph 100 times, mine is different year model 

2 hours ago, Barry said:

I think the ptoblem is the cable coming out to the bar. This is a 1x frame so only has holes for rear mech and rear hydraulic.

Exactly.

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm pretty sure you could run an internal routed dropper there. The other cables are routed. 

Maybe take some snaps of the cable ports on both sides of the head tube junction?

I reckon it's an easy fix. I'm more than happy to take a look for you

That would be much appreciated, I took the bike past complete cyclists Hout Bay and they said “buy a new bike” 

they said it was impossible, but when I look at the exit by the head tube there looks like there should be space for 3 cables not just 2

1 hour ago, Alouette3 said:

Run it into the frame on the left where the other cables go in. If the insert only allows for 2, you should be able to get another insert to allow a 3rd cable in.

image.jpg

Dremel tool or needle file will sort out that insert quick quick. I important thing is that there is already a hole in the frame, so you are not modifying the frame. Otherwise toss the entire insert and just a grommet of sorts around the cables.

Drill it. I was going to suggest just that. 

Obviously drill it OFF the bike, not on place.

So just take it out, set it on the drill press or in a bench clamp and boom

13 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Drill it. I was going to suggest just that. 

Obviously drill it OFF the bike, not on place.

So just take it out, set it on the drill press or in a bench clamp and boom

Agree, should not be a problem to drill it.

I would drill it as well, the only problem I see with drilling it though, those holes are not straight, and it is going to be pretty difficult making a new hole at an angle like that