How much to sell Mongoose Teocali Comp for?

joshbike

Hey guys,

I hope I'm posting in the right section :)

I have a Mongoose Teocali Comp Full suspension mountain bike with 26" wheels that I bought in early 2011 used, I stripped the whole bike and put it back together, changed cable housings and bearings etc. I got the shocks serviced at Mike Hopkins cycles. I did many amazing rides for about a year. It really took my skills to a much more advanced level. Then I started surfing, got a girlfriend, focused on work, went traveling, came back had kids, and now its nearly 2022 and I need to clear out storage. Even though the bike holds a special place in my heart it's time to be realistic that I've not been mountain biking in at least 8 years, it's probably time to sell it.

My father in law is a mountian-bike fanatic. He helped me convert it to tubeless.

It comes with
* saddle bag
* frame bags under the bar
* frame bag with window for smartphone ontop of the bar
* speedometer/odometer. (I'll get a more recent pic soon)
* Shimano cleat pedals
* Mongoose platform pedals
* Neoprene sleeves to keep sand out of the shocks

The bike's main strengths are
* Very little pedal bob, good for climbing
* Great suspension, good for moving fast over rocks and roots, down stairs & drops
* Quite light-weight aluminum frame

From what I remember it's classed as All-mountain. So it's best suited for a bit more aggressive riding than trail (dirt roads), but not in competitive down-hill territory. For me, I like it. It's pretty tough. It always did whatever I wanted to do well and I was never afraid of breaking the frame or whatever, etc. (only the fear of breaking myself ever held me back)

The last time I rode the bike regularly was in Greyton in 2018, I rode it to the shops and back every few days for about a year.

There's one or maybe 2 gear combinations where you'll get an occasional jump of the chain. I'm not a pro racer or whatever so it doesn't bother me, but if you want a brand new experience in every gear you'd want to replace the chain and sprockets.

I know at the time I bought it, they were selling new for R12,000. Then a year later I was told that the price went up to R15,000. I think this is because they were around $1000 imported.

I've got no idea how much to sell it for, can you please advise?

Thanks
Josh

mongoose-teocali-comp-at-home.jpg

My friend on the right bought a Mongoose Teocali first. I had a hard-tail at the time. He wouldn't shut up about his new bike so I said "BS let me try it." So we swapped and then when he said "Well? well? How is it?" I didn't say anything and kept riding away from him... didn't want to give it back :) He had to take it back by force. Then I bought one.
mongoose-teocali-die-burger.jpg

Edited by joshbike

Full disclosure, after I bought the bike, I discovered a crack on one of the inside surfaces of the stem. The stem is a short piece of aluminum tube that attaches the fork to the handlebars. They're cheap replaceable parts depending on the rider's height or comfort or whatever. You can get them on amazon for between $9 and $30 it looks like, and a quick local search I saw one going for R300.

For safety you should ideally replace the stem because theoretically it could give way at some point. However the beast mechanic dude at Mike Hopkins cycles told me not to worry about it because it was only near one of the bolts and even if that hypothetically breaks, there's another bolt holding it on. So I planned on replacing it as a low priority but never did. It never got any worse or gave any issues.

(this is just a random stem picture from amazon, I don't know if it's the right size or whatever, just showing for demonstration purposes which piece it is)

stem.png

Edited by joshbike

41 minutes ago, joshbike said:

mongoose-teocali-comp-at-home.jpg

Ummm.... Boet, whoever put your fork together... Well, they really forked it up.

I refuse to believe any reputable bike shop did that, and if they did, then they deserve to be shamed for all eternity.

haha, the pic was taken before I got the shocks serviced. I didn't know anything about shocks so I didn't remove them. I just stripped the rear suspension to replace the frame bearings, then I replaced the gear cable housings because the ones that it came with had sand in them so the cable was binding.

19 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Ummm.... Boet, whoever put your fork together... Well, they really forked it up.

I refuse to believe any reputable bike shop did that, and if they did, then they deserve to be shamed for all eternity.

Was wondering wether I was going mad or it the uppers were backwards????

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

No one talking about the guy in the picture riding a marathon type race on a dual crown DH bike....... 

Wtf did i just see ????????????????????

@joshbikeIt sounds like this bike has given you many great memories! It’s always great to hear about bicycles adding joy to people’s lives ????

As has already been mentioned, it’s unfortunately not worth much. I’d reckon R3500-R4500. Good luck with the sale!

18 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

No one talking about the guy in the picture riding a marathon type race on a dual crown DH bike....... 

It looks like a younger version of someone I know, and it's something he would do. But I would hazard a guess that it would be the 15km at the Die Burger MTB challenge and it was with his wife. 

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Thanks for the offer @Save Cyclists it's appreciated.

A friend is borrowing it at the moment so I'll see if I need to get it from him or whatever.
Then I'll list it for R5k neg and see what happens!