Frame protection and wrap kits

GRG

Hi All!

Please could I get some info on past experience with wrap kits, taking one the task oneself or the possibility of using someone who has done this before?

Best product or company to use?
What is the longevity?

TIA, cheers

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used invisiframe and armour ride. 

I did the Invisiframe myself. Relatively easy to do, it just requires time and patience. 

Invisiframe had better coverage, but Armour Ride is local and they do the fitment, so hassle free.

Edited by Mike Mac

You can use ARMOUR RIDE. Based in Cape Town. Had 4 e bikes now wrapped and are taking another one next week. They do excellent work of very high standard. You can contact Dean at 076 6333302. I used cheaper material previously and it just can’t take the punishment.

I have used used bike shield on my bikes and it really does stick super well, easy to remove and really seems to do a great job of protecting the frame. I prefer the large sheets that you can then cut and stick as you wish. Clean tools, work space with clean hands are a must, as well a clean bike, cleaning each area before application. Then a dry wipe marker to mark out the shapes you need to cut on the paper and a bit of patience, with a hairdryer to heat to stretch when applying. Also, top tip - remove any sharp corners on the film before applying, prevents corners lifting.

Highly recommend bike shield, expensive, but worth it in my view, also after a bit of riding you can remove and reapply in areas that might have lifted a bit if you have the sheet to cut from. I like to double up on the bottom bracket area especially to protect against rough rock/stone strikes.

Edited by Murrob

I have also become a fan of bikeshield. When you remove it, it leaves no residue. What I like the most is the fact that the edges doesnt lift after time.

I got an ArmourRide kit with decals but fitted it myself.  They had a video on it, but its pretty straightforward.  The first piece I got on about 98% correctly (there was a minor learning curve) but each piece after that was 100%.  I'm happy with the result, and it made my plain bike look a little different.  

IMG_20210715_143307.jpg

I second ArmourRide. Had my bike wrapped by them a while back. Opted for the custom option that covers most of your bike. 

Dean came and fetched the bike wrapped it and dropped it off. 

Highly recommend using them. 

Armouride for sure, awesome guys and great workmanship. Also can do customize job full bike or specifically where you want and they have those heavy duty covering for your bb area.

I can only vouch for Armour Ride. Dean collected my bike on a public holiday and had the job done and delivered in 2 days. Excellent service and great product! I have heard good things about Bike Shield, but I don't have the patience to do that job myself.

Just got a kit from Nic at Ballistic Bike Armour. R850 and it looks like it will cover all the high risk parts of the bike. Vinyl is nice and beefy as well. Plus he communicates really well.

• 3 months later...

do you apply Bikeshield dry or do you use soapy water as shown in some youtube videos ?

I have ordered the 1m x20cm roll so should be plenty to work with.

How thick is it?

Thx👍

3 hours ago, guidodg said:

do you apply Bikeshield dry or do you use soapy water as shown in some youtube videos ?

I have ordered the 1m x20cm roll so should be plenty to work with.

How thick is it?

Thx👍

Bikeshield goes on easy with soapy water. It is a decent thickness as well. Thicker than some of the local stuff.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Sitting with a kit from Armour Ride waiting to go onto a very very special frame that is somewhere on a plane from the UK. 

Hope the application process isn't a ball ache like the service from them. 

Is there perhaps a local installer in Midrand / Centurion that will do this or do I take the gamble and do it myself? 

I also bought a basic version of theirs from Cycle Lab that I guess I could practice with on my frame before attempting the install on the lady's frame.