New bike for Christmas?

Trashy

My brother in law is riding an old Zula which is getting a bit long in the tooth. We've chatted about him finally getting something newer, but he loves that thing and has been upgrading parts as they wear out or break. The problem is, it currently needs a chunk of cash to sort out (full services of fork and rear shock, new wheels, headset, tires)

My sister in law got hold of me this morning and asked for my help to find him a new bike for Christmas. He would ask for my advice anyway as he's not that clued up on current tech, but if it was me, I would absolutely want to have a say in any new bike purchase.

So, would you be happy with someone else buying you a new bike for Christmas?

20 minutes ago, Trashy said:

My brother in law is riding an old Zula which is getting a bit long in the tooth. We've chatted about him finally getting something newer, but he loves that thing and has been upgrading parts as they wear out or break. The problem is, it currently needs a chunk of cash to sort out (full services of fork and rear shock, new wheels, headset, tires)

My sister in law got hold of me this morning and asked for my help to find him a new bike for Christmas. He would ask for my advice anyway as he's not that clued up on current tech, but if it was me, I would absolutely want to have a say in any new bike purchase.

Sounds like the type of guy who would love the bike no matter what it is just because it was bought for him by his family

44 minutes ago, Trashy said:

If I got a decent bike as a gift I would be STOKED, would it be nice to have a say in what I got, yes, but just getting a sweet bike would make me super happy.....

As nice as it would be to surprise your brother in law with a new bike for Christmas. Is the next hurdle that you need to overcome maybe what bikes are actually available in his size and budget range at the moment? I have been in the market for a few months and many suppliers have told me that I am still going to have to wait a few more before the next containers arrive.

29 minutes ago, Bondinator said:

As nice as it would be to surprise your brother in law with a new bike for Christmas. Is the next hurdle that you need to overcome maybe what bikes are actually available in his size and budget range at the moment? I have been in the market for a few months and many suppliers have told me that I am still going to have to wait a few more before the next containers arrive.

That's definitely a concern. Thankfully there's no rush, so it's more a case of "if I can find a bike, should I get it?".

From what I've seen though, there's no stock of new bikes that are suitable so I'll most likely be looking for something usedĀ 

If I was the wife I would rather her say here's X amount of cash for Christmas towards your bike, go find one.

If I was the husband this would please me as she might get a bike he doesn't particularly like/fit.

Bikes are a very personal thing. Some you love, some you hate. If she gets him something he hates, he will be stuck with it.Ā 

Maybe she should throw around hints to find out what he likes. Maybe ask his cycling buddies what he talks about. That can give her an idea.Ā 

Imagine the surprise of a brand new, shiny bike under the tree

Ā 

I would hate it if someone else bought me a bike unless I'd dropped a huge hint in what I wanted.

Secondly, with present economic conditions and bike availability it might be better to bite the bullet and get the Morewood (that he LOVES riding) upgraded & serviced with some new wheels for approx 10 -12k. If it's a 26" then that choice is a much harder one to make. A 27.5 I'd say...go for it.

Thirdly, if I'm looking for a new bike, it's for a valid reason like...I'd like to ride faster or jump further or I'm changing my type of riding (maybe XC to Enduro).

A nice pretty "new" bike sounds like fun...but will he love it like he loves his faithful Morewood.

(The pretty blonde barmaid always looks prettier than the faithful missus waiting at home)

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I appreciate the insights.

I guess I should have mentioned that his wife has previously bought him a bike that he loves and, from our discussions, he's quite relaxed about the next bike be gets.

2 hours ago, robbybzgo said:

If it's a 26" then that choice is a much harder one to make. A 27.5 I'd say...go for it.

His is a 26"...

He's almost certainly going to keep it even when he gets a new bike, so I'm just suggesting that it gets upgraded until stock becomes available and prices stabilise.

We can talk specs all day long ...Ā 

Ā 

But to a large extent bikes are bought with the HEART ..... (after creating a short list based on some facts, hopefully)

Ā 

Ā