Buying from bikeinn? Hidden costs?

ByronH

14 hours ago, Jbr said:

some make it sound like Bikeinn is ripping you off. I was very hesitant to order from them for a long time, until I had no choice (the only ones having the part I was looking for being the said site)

I ended up ordering on the thursday and got my part on the following wednesday, and even though the total cost at the end was a bit higher than the price on the product page (shipping cost + VAT + whatever DHL makes you pay because why not, they have your stuff they might as well squeeze you to get whatever they can), it was still cheaper than local alternatives and it probably would have taken me months to get what I wanted locally anyways.

Now I've ordered bars from another one of these sites (german in this case), and my parcel hasn't moved from a german airport since thursday....no news from DHL. Seems the problem is mostly DHL everytime. 

14 hours ago, Thomo said:

I've heard that DHL from Germany can often mean postal services.? 🤷‍♂️

If that is the case, movement from German airport is but the beginning of your headache.

11 hours ago, justinafrika said:

Best of luck, three large boxes urgently acquired from one supplier in Johannesburg which were collected simultaneously, and with a single destination, arrived in three different cities.  Thanks DHL.

DHL and DHL Express are not the same ‘company’. They are different brands within the same parent group yes. They dont even use the same planes. Express is a premium service. Its totally independent from the ‘german postal service’.

ive never had an issue with DHL express. 3 days from anywhere on the world to my doorstep. 

I’ve used Bike24 and bikecomponents and both have arrived in about 2 weeks. Just note that any German online shop that says they deliver with DHL, actually refers to the German post office. Its not DHL Express.

On another note, who are the Sram distributors here in SA. I’ve tried ordering Sram components online but getting blocked every time.

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

DHL and DHL Express are not the same ‘company’. They are different brands within the same parent group yes. They dont even use the same planes. Express is a premium service. Its totally independent from the ‘german postal service’.

ive never had an issue with DHL express. 3 days from anywhere on the world to my doorstep. 

100%, the thing going on at the moment with DHL.de I've never had with DHL Express... last time I ordered from europe I was very very surprised to get my parcel so quick, even though the paperwork/invoice I had to confirm was a bit confusing, the total amount seemed more or less what I had anticipated and it all went smooth.

51 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I’ve used Bike24 and bikecomponents and both have arrived in about 2 weeks. Just note that any German online shop that says they deliver with DHL, actually refers to the German post office. Its not DHL Express.

On another note, who are the Sram distributors here in SA. I’ve tried ordering Sram components online but getting blocked every time.

I ordered a brand new Sram force etap derailleur from bikeinn no problem, now I need a garmin mount for the Metron vision ACR that is currently stuck in germany (I naively thought the bars came with one), but I can't find a site that sells both this and dura ace cassettes (I don't want to pay R600 in shipping for a R300 item, and can't find cassettes at a decent price locally), the one site that has both can't legaly sell cassettes to SA apparently... Is that the problem you have with SRAM ?

Edited by Jbr

5 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I ordered a brand new Sram force etap derailleur from bikeinn no problem, now I need a garmin mount for the Metron vision ACR that is currently stuck in germany (I naively thought the bars came with one), but I can't find a site that sells both this and dura ace cassettes (I don't want to pay R600 in shipping for a R300 item, and can't find cassettes at a decent price locally), the one site that has both can't legaly sell cassettes to SA apparently... Is that the problem you have with SRAM ?

Yip. Same problem i have. You have to buy it local but problem is availability of parts. 

2 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Yip. Same problem i have. You have to buy it local but problem is availability of parts. 

get a Frenchie to order it for you, seems that works just fine 🤪