First GPS computer... what to buy

Arie Harris

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Arie Harris said:

Again thank all for their contributions to this topic.

So far my mind is at Garmin or Lezyne and the smaller units are well worth it.

Then there are people saying use your phone, the problem with that it is big and the readings like gps is not always that good. I personally am using my phone atm and want to change that.

The other option I have seen is to get a watch like the forerunner, this way it is multi purpose. The only thing is that you will not have a screen to have a peak at. 

Yes you can - my cheapo Garmin Instinct is very easy to read and has customizable data fields (up to a point) You can easily glance at your wrist or move your hand off the bars to get a view. Its almost easier as you don't have to look down towards your bars. I used to use a Polar V650 but gave up due to the utterly useless connectivity with my phone and the watch is much easier to use as far as I am concerned.

2 hours ago, Arie Harris said:

Again thank all for their contributions to this topic.

So far my mind is at Garmin or Lezyne and the smaller units are well worth it.

Then there are people saying use your phone, the problem with that it is big and the readings like gps is not always that good. I personally am using my phone atm and want to change that.

The other option I have seen is to get a watch like the forerunner, this way it is multi purpose. The only thing is that you will not have a screen to have a peak at. 

IF you do go the watch route .... Do yourself a BIG favour !!  Get one that has "Garmin Pay".

Think I have only used my bank card twice in the last 16 months.

I now record my commutes via the Garmin watch - dont need to see these metrics while commuting.  For longer rides I still prefer something on the handlebars.

Most rides shouldn’t require looking at the device that often. Learn the feel, and look at the data post-ride.

edit: rides added

Edited by Frosty