First GPS computer... what to buy

Arie Harris

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Sigma Rox 11, faultless, does everything, Strava, can create your own routes to navigate with and it's very affordable compared to other brands. Sigma is German technology which has been around for ages.

I've never understood the obsession with Garmin.

If you are on a budget you can get a Giant Neos GPS for R1500. It doesn't link to a power meter or a cadensiometer. If you don't use those things it's a great option

You can also get the Giant Neos Track (bigger with more functions) for under 3k.

There's only 1 and that's a GARMIN !!!

Normally there's plenty in the classified section.

Should you want to buy new them the Garmin 130 or the PLUS is the starting point.

However you can get something like a Garmin 510 for about R2k, it has a touch screen & Bluetooth.

The Garmin 520 is an excellent device as well, millions sold in South Africa, slowly people are moving onto the new 530.

Garmin also has good after sales service (don't know how the others are though)

I have had Garmin all the time went from a 810 to a 520 and now have a 530, believe me, later on you would want to get an upgrade if you see the features of the Garmins, especially the mountainbike profile for off-road riding with measuring your jumps, flow ect. I might be a gimmick but it is nice.

I have had a Garmin 520 and now a 130 plus. Even though the 130 is smaller the screen has a better resolution so the numbers are still very clear. I refuse to buy Garmin products in SA due to the huge mark up compared to Europe. I paid 130 euros for my 130 plus. There is no reason for Garmin SA to charge so much more

20 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

The garmin platform trumps all others, so while all the devices play on a similar field, the back office with Garmin is light years ahead.

Devices are a dime a dozen. The years and years of experience pulled into the Garmin app makes all the difference.

It's easy to use, has a natural flow and doesn't involve much input. 

^This, its all about the platform. Garmin has a great platform that plays nicely with a number of 3rd parties, the others dont.

Guys thanks for all the comments. So it comes down to this, if I want quality and good support I go Garmin or maybe Wahoo.

Thing is my budget can be between 2k to 5k if I can justify the 5k purchase.

I am by no means a pro mtb rider and still trying to find my way up the fitness ladder.

With that said even this Magene with all the sensors should be fine? Reviews on youtube seems ok.

So buy Garmin and add sensors later or just go cheap and have a range of sensors?🤔

image.png.303907342c08e9363979464e4eb4dabc.png

Been using my Wahoo ELEMNT for 3 years without any issues. Everything just integrates seamlessly, power meter, HRM, cadence sensor. Setup from your phone is very easy. My only issue ever was that my Garmin Varia rear radar couldn't connect, so I had to use the separate display unit. But when Garmin increased the Varia's compatibility to work with other devices it solved that problem and i can now get all the information on the display of my Wahoo. It even beeps when detecting a car. I have just ordered the new Varia radar but I am sticking with my ELEMNT.

On 1/18/2022 at 10:39 AM, Arie Harris said:

So I am looking for a gps computer and dont want t break the bank.

I have been looking at the following 

Sigma rox 11

Garmin 130 plus

Lezyene Mega C 

There is a bit of a price difference but this is part of the question, would paying more for the garmin be worth it.

I am an average biker who just wants to see my trips, progress and share on strava.

Thanks

One thing to consider.... whichever system you choose the chances are you will stick with it and its software for the rest of your life. This means all your training history will be stored in whichever system software you choose. If 10 years down the line you want to change systems, then your training history wont follow to the new system. Yes apps like strava help to negate this issue.

Somewhere around 19voetsak I started using a Polar watch for heart rate measurement while running long before I started cycling, and before garmin made similar watches. Still using polar today and quite happy with them. (M460 cycling computer and Grit X Pro wrist watch)

I have a garmin watch for golf because polar do not do golf courses and the required info needed for playing golf. No doubt garmin are simply huge in the GPS product market.

Good luck

On 1/18/2022 at 12:53 PM, Arie Harris said:

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I guess any one of them should be fine as it will be my first gps. 

Seem like Toyota vs Ford or Glock vs CZ. 

On the classifieds there are a few Garmin 130 plus for sale at about R3k to R3.5k then there is a Sigma Rox 11 for R1700 so I guess if the garmin is not that much better then the sigma could be a good starting point.

The comparison between cars and guns i like! 

Now get the Garmin 😁

I bought a second hand Garmin 520 a number of years ago. Worked well, eventually the battery got old, and Garmin replaced it with a new 520+ unit for a few R100's.

Had that for about 4 years and I smashed it by mistake when closing my boot lid. They replaced that for about R1000 with a Garmin 530.

Great device, and their replacement program means that as long as you have the remains of the old one you should have it for life.

I went with the Lezyne Mega XL. Had it for about 3-4 years now. The big screen works for me as I cannot see the display on the smaller devices and do not cycle with my reading glasses 

2 hours ago, 100Tours said:

I bought a second hand Garmin 520 a number of years ago. Worked well, eventually the battery got old, and Garmin replaced it with a new 520+ unit for a few R100's.

Had that for about 4 years and I smashed it by mistake when closing my boot lid. They replaced that for about R1000 with a Garmin 530.

Great device, and their replacement program means that as long as you have the remains of the old one you should have it for life.

Wow that probably makes it worth paying a bit more for a Garmin.