What the actual - 10 distinctions?!

mecheng89

Good morning Hubbers!

So, it's safe to presume the majority here have passed Matric, so with the recent slew of social media assault from schools who boast about their top achievers, it's made me think - what the actual? When I matriculated in 2007, 6 distinctions was considered exceptional, 7 was bonkers. What would our children's children need to achieve in order to get into a higher education institution?

So, just for a little bit of fun, which did you get at school? I'll start - distinctions in Afrikaans First Additional Language and Music. 

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

Good morning Hubbers!

So, it's safe to presume the majority here have passed Matric, so with the recent slew of social media assault from schools who boast about their top achievers, it's made me think - what the actual? When I matriculated in 2007, 6 distinctions was considered exceptional, 7 was bonkers. What would our children's children need to achieve in order to get into a higher education institution?

So, just for a little bit of fun, which did you get at school? I'll start - distinctions in Afrikaans First Additional Language and Music. 

well I got zip at school but my daughter is on her way to 8 distinctions

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

Good morning Hubbers!

In my time, 2004, you were able to knock off Distinctions in your Grade 10 and Grade 11 years as additional subjects. Think of subjects like Computer Typing or something fairly "Easy". So I distinctly remember kids achieving 12 or 14 Distinctions, but achieved over a couple of years.

That was changed a couple of years later, you only got recognition for the subjects you wrote in your Final Exam in Grade 12. Doing 10 Distinctions in a single Matric Year is a massive effort, no way one tries to cut it. 

As for my own achievements... I "only" got 6, Average of 93.5%, finished 7th in the Province for Matric results. I didn't strive for additional subjects, but rather went for the Multi-Discipline approach by doing as many different things in my Grade 12 year to be a well rounded individual(Rugby, Tennis, Leadership roles, Voortrekkers, "Toneel")

All of that work paid off handsomely. All my 1st year studies were paid through University Grants for good results and then full bursary from 2nd-year onwards. Work interviews also went well from the start as the work that was put in during School Years reflected to the employer what kind of rounded person they are looking at.

My eldest child is only starting Grade 1 now, but I will strive for them to be well rounded individuals, not focusing on anything specifically, but always keeping Schoolwork up-to-standard. Once you fall behind there it is very difficult to catch back up.

No distinctions here, perpetual under achiever.. 

but then something awoke within me at age of 30 and since completed 2 degrees and a post graduate qualification. A number of started degrees where I lost interest including theology and ancient history,

Love studying and learning.  I was definitely not mature enough to study at school.

well done to all matrics , pass or fail, if you worked at it you deserve applause. 

On 1/20/2022 at 10:28 AM, Vetplant said:

In my time, 2004, you were able to knock off Distinctions in your Grade 10 and Grade 11 years as additional subjects. Think of subjects like Computer Typing or something fairly "Easy". So I distinctly remember kids achieving 12 or 14 Distinctions, but achieved over a couple of years.

That was changed a couple of years later, you only got recognition for the subjects you wrote in your Final Exam in Grade 12. Doing 10 Distinctions in a single Matric Year is a massive effort, no way one tries to cut it. 

As for my own achievements... I "only" got 6, Average of 93.5%, finished 7th in the Province for Matric results. I didn't strive for additional subjects, but rather went for the Multi-Discipline approach by doing as many different things in my Grade 12 year to be a well rounded individual(Rugby, Tennis, Leadership roles, Voortrekkers, "Toneel")

All of that work paid off handsomely. All my 1st year studies were paid through University Grants for good results and then full bursary from 2nd-year onwards. Work interviews also went well from the start as the work that was put in during School Years reflected to the employer what kind of rounded person they are looking at.

My eldest child is only starting Grade 1 now, but I will strive for them to be well rounded individuals, not focusing on anything specifically, but always keeping Schoolwork up-to-standard. Once you fall behind there it is very difficult to catch back up.

Thats exactly the approach we follow with my Son, although he is only in Gr 7 this year, he has his schoolwork and has been in Top 10 Since Gr4, but he does Sports at school, plays club cricket as well, and take art and guitar lessons in between everything else. We also make time to get on the golf course and go fishing when time allows. I believe balance is key, and rather a well rounded individual than 14 Distinctions

17 minutes ago, RudoJ said:

Thats exactly the approach we follow with my Son, although he is only in Gr 7 this year, he has his schoolwork and has been in Top 10 Since Gr4, but he does Sports at school, plays club cricket as well, and take art and guitar lessons in between everything else. We also make time to get on the golf course and go fishing when time allows. I believe balance is key, and rather a well rounded individual than 14 Distinctions

Fantastic approach 👍

BTW. I sucked at guitar lessons, but I did it nonetheless for two years. Some things are just NOT in your wheelhouse, and that is fine. I might have benefitted from it somewhere else unbeknownst. But at least I have some serious appreciation for someone who does it seamlessly.

My biggest drive, after schoolwork, will be to get the kids to partake in team sports. Even if they just make up the numbers, they need to get exposure to a situation where the focus is on the collective effort and doing something for the benefit for someone else instead of yourself. If they can be good teammates to other kids I will feel my job as a parent is halfway there.

i got none and nearly failed maths (proper maths )

but im in about 20% of my matric class that actually have jobs , the rest are sitting at home with degrees that aren't worth the paper they're on