OR Thambo MTB Trail status?

Eldron

I'm in SA for a few weeks and am keen to ride one of my favourite blasts from the past...does anyone have info on opening times etc?

Trailforks has some info but last updated in Aug 2021 - whats the latest?

While I'm asking what other good trails are there in the area? I heard about Boksburg stadium but never got the chance to ride there before I left. What else?

Edited by Eldron

Have not ridden ORT for a while now, but from all the rain we had in the last weeks i'm sure its a mud fest, and they no longer managed so probably completely overgrown by now.

Modders - same thing completely over grown, not worth the effort.

I would try Red Barn or Northern Farms

4 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Have not ridden ORT for a while now, but from all the rain we had in the last weeks i'm sure its a mud fest, and they no longer managed so probably completely overgrown by now.

Modders - same thing completely over grown, not worth the effort.

I would try Red Barn or Northern Farms

I rode BCC last week and it was surprisingly dry... Big Red Barn is on the agenda. 

It's a pity about ORT and Ekurhuleni MTB Park - little to no info available.

you will have to go far and wide to get away from the mud, I am in Serengeti and the rain has been Relentless for months, PTA gravel roads we rode last year are "washed away" I was in a 4x4 and I thought tick this section off my route on a few roads including some tar roads in PTA east

my wife`s morning chore has been dumping pool water in the mornings 

By the amount of water flowing into the road from the side of ORT where the MTB trails are I'd say you need to avoid it.

What is Rietvlei Zoo looking like with all these rains ?

8 minutes ago, Eldron said:

I rode BCC last week and it was surprisingly dry... Big Red Barn is on the agenda. 

It's a pity about ORT and Ekurhuleni MTB Park - little to no info available.

EMTBP is still open and more than rideable. It drains relatively well for the most part. It gets maintained every once in a while (I actually headed up a fundraising drive a few months ago that at least had the grass cut along the route). 

It gets used by Parkrun and by the local dirt bikers, so the trails stay pretty rideable year round, if a little rough, and most of the jumps have had the lips rounded off by the dirtbikes, but still fun. 

You could also check out the newest trail we have, which is at the ERPM golf course. It gets at least partially funded by entry fees and maintained a little more often. Has a few fun-ish sections, but don't expect any real features as such, and is prone to becoming a bog.

Big Red Barn is still the best trail we have that's within rideable proximity, that and Thaba. 

Wolwespruit is awesome at the moment and not much further the Big Red Barn

Rietvlei Zoo Farm was quite muddy last time is was there, but we have had a couple dry days since then, so it may be good to ride now, but not 100% sure

Edited by Chadvdw67

22 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

EMTBP is still open and more than rideable. It drains relatively well for the most part. It gets maintained every once in a while (I actually headed up a fundraising drive a few months ago that at least had the grass cut along the route). 

It gets used by Parkrun and by the local dirt bikers, so the trails stay pretty rideable year round, if a little rough, and most of the jumps have had the lips rounded off by the dirtbikes, but still fun. 

You could also check out the newest trail we have, which is at the ERPM golf course. It gets at least partially funded by entry fees and maintained a little more often. Has a few fun-ish sections, but don't expect any real features as such, and is prone to becoming a bog.

Big Red Barn is still the best trail we have that's within rideable proximity, that and Thaba. 

Do you know where I can find opening times and details for your 2 trails?

7 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Do you know where I can find opening times and details for your 2 trails?

This is Boksburg pappie, we only got ADSL a few months ago, don't come here with your fancy internet thingamawhatsits!

EMTBP is open 24/7, it's a free-access trail behind the stadium. I've ridden there dozens of times and never had an issue, but I wouldn't go it alone in the dark. 

The ERPM Golf course park opens at 06:30 if I'm not mistaken, closes when the golf course closes.