First time road cyclists advice and training for Argus

Shaun23

Hi Guys, myself and cousin have entered our first Argus this year.
We are intermediate MTB riders. We just bought our first road bicycles last week and are starting to train for the Argus.

Can anyone suggest some training techniques and tips for first timers.

Also if we could join some of you guys for some Chappies rides etc that would be amazing.

Appreciate it,

Regards Shaun

Not exactly a long time to train Shaun.  I suggest you and your buddy just go ride those bikes and get comfortable with the way they feel and controlling them and how to use your gears and brakes.  I am assuming some level of fitness riding MTB's.  Go ride 50km this Saturday and see how you feel.  The fun and adrenaline of the worlds most beautiful fun ride will get you through the rest

Then come the CTCT just go out and have fun, enjoy the day and stay out of trouble.

Next year train a bit earlier, learn the black art of bunch riding and go for it

Just what Wayne said above. 

Unless you are in the front seeded groups, setting a good time is just impossible. There are just too many people

Just go out there to enjoy the the ride. As long as you are riding and getting miles in, a structure training program is not required. 

Make sure you're comfortable riding for 4+ hours. 🤞 Focus on your nutrition (eating and drinking enough, regularly). Don't try anything new on the day!

Get your bikes set up NOW and just get comfortable on them.

Do maybe two 50km rides per week at a just above comfortable pace.

Get the feel of the bike - cornering and braking is vastly different to a mtb and practice some close riding.

Just go and enjoy the CTCT

As much time in the saddle as you can get in between now and then, building up to 100km on the weekend before, then rest the last week with maybe a chilled 40 on the Wednesday. Take the long rides slowly and the short rides fast, and make sure you get some hills in.

If you're only starting to train now you'll still bleed a bit, but you'll make it through. The water points and gees from the crowds will save you.

I would say keep you rides casual and take your time. 

Like the guys said, make sure you're comfortable on the road bikes. If not then you are better off using your MTB's and having a fun day in the saddle. 

Good luck, massive FOMO on my side. Hopefully back in SA 2023 to get that Sub3. 

what does ntiermediate MTB rider mean?

Do you average 15, 16, 17 18, 19 or 20km/hr over a 50km ride with 1000m elevation?

Do you take the A Line into an mtb event or do you take the b-line?

How long have you been riding mtb's at this "intermediate" level?

All of this speaks to how experienced you are, some insight into your strength and ability as a cyclist.

Then i can offer some advice on what to do over the next 3 weeks of training

meh. you'll be fine.

as mentioned, if you can do 50km without coughing blood you'll make it to the end. or you can just swallow the blood too.

The first half is downhill and there are only 3 or 4 small bumps in the way 😁

just go to enjoy it. it's a jol, and before you know it you're over suikerbos and watching them take down gantries in camps bay as you try to make it before the cutoff haha

2 hours ago, madmarc said:

I would try at least 1 X 100km ride before the event to let your ass know what its in for.

...before it gets handed to you. LOL

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

what does ntiermediate MTB rider mean?

Do you average 15, 16, 17 18, 19 or 20km/hr over a 50km ride with 1000m elevation?

Do you take the A Line into an mtb event or do you take the b-line?

How long have you been riding mtb's at this "intermediate" level?

All of this speaks to how experienced you are, some insight into your strength and ability as a cyclist.

Then i can offer some advice on what to do over the next 3 weeks of training

I think this question is NB 

34 minutes ago, MORNE said:

meh. you'll be fine.

as mentioned, if you can do 50km without coughing blood you'll make it to the end. or you can just swallow the blood too.

The first half is downhill and there are only 3 or 4 small bumps in the way 😁

just go to enjoy it. it's a jol, and before you know it you're over suikerbos and watching them take down gantries in camps bay as you try to make it before the cutoff haha

LOL this is alos true. Go out and have a blast and the rest will come to you 

5 hours ago, Shaun23 said:

Hi Guys, myself and cousin have entered our first Argus this year.
We are intermediate MTB riders. We just bought our first road bicycles last week and are starting to train for the Argus.

Can anyone suggest some training techniques and tips for first timers.

Also if we could join some of you guys for some Chappies rides etc that would be amazing.

Appreciate it,

Regards Shaun

Hey Shaun. Where are you based.

I'm riding at 6am from Muizenberg tomorrow morning, up Constantia Nek, through Hout Bat, Suikerbossie over chappies then home through fish hoek and main road. 

You're welcome to hop on.