[Event] Emperors Palace Classic 2022

Events Bot

Definitely the last time I will ever do this event. Not safe at at all, between irresponsible cyclist's, impatient motorists, potholes and raw sewage it wasn't exactly a ton of fun.

Personally I believe the bunches were too big, considering it is a flat fast race, the bunches never thinned enough in order to ride safely on a route that was open to traffic.

Last point, combining the long and short race for the last 20km was an absolute dog show, witnessed 3 proper crashes as a result of trying to pass slower short distance riders unaware of the speed differential of the long race bunches.

Ok - rant over.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Nobody is going to mention the sewerage, we had to ride through - GROSS!! 

It was a **** show! 

4 hours ago, Peter Parker said:

Firstly how did Vukani get 20odd members all in the BL group.

And secondly, why were they racing like they were trying to win SA champs or something?

They were just causing a hazard to.the rest of the group, 3 or 4 would attack of the front, the others at the front would slow the pace all of a sudden and others would ride on the right side of the bunch so no one else could get out and chase. 

I wouldnt be surprised if these tactics lead to the crashes in the last 20kms.

Im sure the  Noddy badges were worth it.

what a terrible welcome back to racing after 2.5 years. 

a lot of those riders had vet and A group race numbers so not sure what they were doing in B group. the sudden drops in pace and road blocking is not safe added to our hazards of potholes, safety cones, poop and cars. 

reminder to self drop a group or two next time. rather safe than sorry

11 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Nobody is going to mention the sewerage, we had to ride through - GROSS!! 

Report of the event sent to Gauteng Cycling for a debrief with the organiser; lots of points mentioned that need the be brought up to a minimum standard. I believe prize giving was held almost 2.5 hours after the first groups had finished.

Then, not linked to your post, but some feedback:

The fact that they failed to mark many of the potholes, let alone fill them, says there was no interest in the rider's safety. I didn't think the mixing with slow riders was a problem, but then I was at the front of the bunch for most of the race.

I personally used it as training for MalutiD90 in two weeks, to get some race pace intensity in the legs; just a pity we lost one, maybe two riders from our team in the crash on the R550 at 70-odd Km.

Then there are the people that don't enter and feel they belong in the bunch. If you didn't enter, go ride on your own or at least sit at the back of the bunch.

Edited by Frosty

2 hours ago, eugenenyawo said:

EMPERORS PALACE CLASSIC (AL) 

Well done.
Some very good conditions on the day. Lots of groups with a similar race time, which is unusual.

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

Then there are the people that don't enter and feel they belong in the bunch. If you didn't enter, go ride on your own or at least sit at the back of the bunch.

I half thought about joining but decided it would not be ethical

How are your fallen riders doing ?

18 hours ago, Fomo said:

a lot of those riders had vet and A group race numbers so not sure what they were doing in B group. the sudden drops in pace and road blocking is not safe added to our hazards of potholes, safety cones, poop and cars. 

reminder to self drop a group or two next time. rather safe than sorry

I was one of them.  Not at Vets level yet, but getting closer.  And I wanted to ride with my club mates!!

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

I half thought about joining but decided it would not be ethical

How are your fallen riders doing ?

I have no problem someone joining, but they should enjoy the ride at the back of the bunch without impeding.

As for one mate, the shoulder might have too much damage to operate. Such a shame, as it was being in the right place at the wrong time.

19 hours ago, Fomo said:

Vukani had too many numbers in the group; as well as a mix of rider abilities. There’s a reason why licensed racing groups were limited to a small number of members in a team (was max 6 about 10 years ago). Gauteng Cycling we’re thinking about reintroducing the inter-club competition, which would help resolve this type of problem in the open groups.

As for the slowing down, it was because of them dominating (numbers) and could afford to attack, back off, attack, back off on an ongoing basis. But the pace never actually slowed down it was just a little more steadily paced in-between their attacks.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Vukani had too many numbers in the group; as well as a mix of rider abilities. There’s a reason why licensed racing groups were limited to a small number of members in a team (was max 6 about 10 years ago). Gauteng Cycling we’re thinking about reintroducing the inter-club competition, which would help resolve this type of problem in the open groups.

As for the slowing down, it was because of them dominating (numbers) and could afford to attack, back off, attack, back off on an ongoing basis. But the pace never actually slowed down it was just a little more steadily paced in-between their attacks.

I'm moving back to Vets group as soon as I'm strong enough.  Nearly there.  Much safer, smaller bunches and most are ex Pro's/80's amateurs.  They have bike and bunch skills.

The open groups are crazy, been like that for quite a few years now.  The guys are strong and fit, but bike handling skills and peleton "rules" are non existent.  If you don't ride close to the front, your chance of a fall is massive.  Especially on these easy and flat races.  I was lucky to miss the big fall in BL at 70km.  I was in the top 30, sense it was too risky and moved to top 10.  Fall happened a few mins after.

Getting too old for this... 

1 minute ago, Underachiever said:

I'm moving back to Vets group as soon as I'm strong enough.  Nearly there.  Much safer, smaller bunches and most are ex Pro's/80's amateurs.  They have bike and bunch skills.

The open groups are crazy, been like that for quite a few years now.  The guys are strong and fit, but bike handling skills and peleton "rules" are non existent.  If you don't ride close to the front, your chance of a fall is massive.  Especially on these easy and flat races.  I was lucky to miss the big fall in BL at 70km.  I was in the top 30, sense it was too risky and moved to top 10.  Fall happened a few mins after.

Getting too old for this... 

I'll wait for next year then join you in the "toppies" group. There's still a risk of a crash, but as you say, most people in that bunch will have similar skills. Hopefully I can twist a few others' arms and we can all join you.

There was a big crash in CL about 10min into the race- hope everyone is fine. A silly motorbike forced the riders on the RHS to slow down drastically. With the bunch being so large and the fast pace, coupled with the eager beavers, it looked/felt and really hectic as it happened 2 bikes away from me.