XTR M9100 carbon cage broken

Steady Spin

This is a crappy one. 

The top pulley wheel including the insert sheared out of the carbon cage. Was shifting at the time but not under load. Just heard the clunk and stopped immediately. 

I fear to ask if replacement parts are available. Will need to replace both inner and outer plates. 

A19AA1E1-4869-4F1F-AABE-ECDCF7D55BBC.jpeg.d8137378259d2cba3ff72779de4a822c.jpeg

For now I’ve replaced it with an XT unit. Terribly disappointed at this. 

• 2 weeks later...

No warranty from Sheeepmano. 

R1600 to replace the cage. Hectic considering a whole new XT derailleur is only R2400. 

Guess I'll try the epoxy route. The XT is great and all but I miss the preciseness of the XTR. It could very well be all in my head but jeepers did I struggle with shifting in the wet and muddy conditions encountered over the past weekend. 

First up though will be fresh cables. 

*GX AXS is starting to look mighty good at this point.

48 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

No warranty from Sheeepmano. 

R1600 to replace the cage. Hectic considering a whole new XT derailleur is only R2400. 

Guess I'll try the epoxy route. The XT is great and all but I miss the preciseness of the XTR. It could very well be all in my head but jeepers did I struggle with shifting in the wet and muddy conditions encountered over the past weekend. 

First up though will be fresh cables. 

*GX AXS is starting to look mighty good at this point.

I was also about to suggest the csixx option, pricey (R1350 cage only) but at least I don't think they will crack like the XTR.  Did you get a hit on it at some stage or was this just out of the blue?

Edited by TheoG

I’m curious at the reason for the decline in the warranty from Coolheat? As someone who is running the GX AXS, I would say go for it, I’m running a Shramano setup and it works super well on a shimano cassette and chain. I have recently upgraded the cage to CSixx and the shifting does seem a bit more precise, bonus is we have replaceable bearings now on the Csixx pulley wheels and a much easier cleaning process of the rear cage as you can remove pulley wheel without the whole cage needing to come apart.

55 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I was also about to suggest the csixx option, pricey (R1350 cage only) but at least I don't think they will crack like the XTR.  Did you get a hit on it at some stage or was this just out of the blue?

Very much out of the blue. Not a scratch anywhere on the derailleur. 

Dare I say the CSixx cage is too bling? So much branding. 

Edited by Steady Spin

12 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Just fitted a XTR to my bike, didn't ride it yet, makes me a bit concerned, maybe should have kept to XT.

20 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

I am very tempted to spray it to get rid of what I agree is a bit too much branding.

1 minute ago, Murrob said:

I am very tempted to spray it to get rid of what I agree is a bit too much branding.

Agree, they are very much in your face with the branding, also is it just me or did they get expensive at the speed of light?

21 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

i wish these guys would get it. I feel exactly the same about most things...and it's not just CSIXX. I've actually emailed some of them before and offered to buy blank prototypes just so i could be rid of the teen surfwear branding. There is too much crap all over products these days.  

They should atleast offer a black on black version if you really want to shout your company name from every square mm of product lol. Handlebars tend to be the worst offenders for most companies.

10 minutes ago, MORNE said:

i wish these guys would get it. I feel exactly the same about most things...and it's not just CSIXX. I've actually emailed some of them before and offered to buy blank prototypes just so i could be rid of the teen surfwear branding. There is too much crap all over products these days.  

They should atleast offer a black on black version if you really want to shout your company name from every square mm of product lol. Handlebars tend to be the worst offenders for most companies.

Agree 100%. 

My frame is orange and everything else is blacked out except for the chain (gooooooold) and I want to keep it that way. 

I carefully picked components with minimal or no visible branding. I'm in my 40s, not 14. 

21 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Just fitted a XTR to my bike, didn't ride it yet, makes me a bit concerned, maybe should have kept to XT.

I'm sure this is just a random occurrence but it left a very bad taste in my mouth. My previous 9spd XTR mech was 10 years old and went through hell. Not a single missed shift.  

Shimano XTR9100 was by far the worst groupset I have ever ridden in terms of reliability. 

Derailleur clutch would give issues often causing crazy chain slap (Shimano refused to warranty), brakes are weak and require maintenance all the time (and you can't service them). The only good part was the XT cassette which has an awesome range and is "affordable" and the smooth shifting.