Ideas on how to increase saddle height

andreas17777

The difference in seat height from front of saddle to rear of saddle is about 5 cm. if you move your seat position to 1 cm to the rear with a cm shorter stem it should solve your problem for the least amount of money. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Since I'm often sitting at or above 110 RPM I'm very likely running into mechanical inefficiencies. "Any crank length is good so long as..." <-- I'm running into one of the things typically listed here as an exception. Super high cadence. For the same pedal speed I can likely comfortably turn 185mm cranks at high 90s RPM and the increased Torque would in my particular case result in increased power.

It's all moot though, as you can hardly source 175mm cranks currently, let alone 185mm...

Give me some Dura Ace 170mm and you can happily have my 175s

39 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Since I'm often sitting at or above 110 RPM I'm very likely running into mechanical inefficiencies. "Any crank length is good so long as..." <-- I'm running into one of the things typically listed here as an exception. Super high cadence. For the same pedal speed I can likely comfortably turn 185mm cranks at high 90s RPM and the increased Torque would in my particular case result in increased power.

It's all moot though, as you can hardly source 175mm cranks currently, let alone 185mm...

thats some serious cadence. I'm usually sitting in mid 80s, although I am consciously trying to up it

7 minutes ago, ouzo said:

thats some serious cadence. I'm usually sitting in mid 80s, although I am consciously trying to up it

Get shorter cranks and it'll go up immediately. 😀

21 minutes ago, Trashy said:

We have very different ideas of a fun afternoon.

I LOVE building things. 

I really love building things from scratch. Learning and applying skills and seeing an end product floats my boat HARD.

I'm busy with 2 carbon MTB frames currently and sewing up a Frame bag/bar roll combo for the AR bike.

After that it's a solid Mahogany body electric uke and then 2 new surf boards for winter!

I made an extended seatpost last year so I could sit and pedal my CTCT bike. It's quick and easy

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I LOVE building things. 

I really love building things from scratch. Learning and applying skills and seeing an end product floats my boat HARD.

I'm busy with 2 carbon MTB frames currently and sewing up a Frame bag/bar roll combo for the AR bike.

After that it's a solid Mahogany body electric uke and then 2 new surf boards for winter!

I made an extended seatpost last year so I could sit and pedal my CTCT bike. It's quick and easy

Just pulling your leg. I found the long, detailed description followed with "quick, easy and fun" humorous.

I have built more than a few bikes and there is nothing better than starting with raw materials and ending with a rad frame to show for it.

2 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Just pulling your leg. I found the long, detailed description followed with "quick, easy and fun" humorous.

I have built more than a few bikes and there is nothing better than starting with raw materials and ending with a rad frame to show for it.

hahahaha touche!

I started practicing my TIG skills during lockdown but when work picked up I lost impetus. I will start again in winter when things quieten down and hopefully get my dime stacking and heat dispersion good enough for some thin walled steel tubes. 

13 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

hahahaha touche!

I started practicing my TIG skills during lockdown but when work picked up I lost impetus. I will start again in winter when things quieten down and hopefully get my dime stacking and heat dispersion good enough for some thin walled steel tubes. 

I don't have much experience with steel, but my aluminium TIG is pretty decent if you ever need help with that.

43 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Get shorter cranks and it'll go up immediately. 😀

I could probably do with shorter cranks, currently have 175mm that came with the bike, but budget constraints are preventing me from changing them.

But even so, on my older bikes with 172.5 cranks my comfortable cadence has always been mid 80s.

13 minutes ago, Trashy said:

I don't have much experience with steel, but my aluminium TIG is pretty decent if you ever need help with that.

I actually learned to TIG weld building Alu boats in Western Australia 20 years ago working for Geraldton Boat Builders. We used to build Alu fishing boats and reinforced Alu police boats for the Malaysian and Singapore coast guards. 

Alu scares me these days!

On 2/22/2022 at 11:28 AM, Eldron said:

Not necessarily - Treks are known to have pretty low max seat heights (and pretty short seat masts).

Riders with short torsos/longer legs generally have to size up to get enough seat height then you have to compromise on stem length/handling.

It is entirely possible that the frame is the right size.

the flex on the seat post is what gets you.