[Event] Darling Brew Extreme DBX 2022

Events Bot

What an absolute jol.

My 1st ever MTB race and 2nd ever time on a MTB. I was substituted in on Wednesday for a mate who could no longer ride it, I collected his bike on Thursday and shoes from another mate on Friday. Got home, Put the shoes on, went up and down the road getting used to the feel of the MTB shoes and cleats and also trying to figure out which lever are which gears. 5min later I was done because I had to get ready for a supper night out.

Saturday morning I woke up during loadshedding, packed the bike in the car and all my stuff and off I went on the long road to darling. Got there about 6:45, it was 5degrees. Anyway, number collection was easy as pie, stood in the line for the porta-loo until some guy told us we could the bathrooms in the restaurant aswell. Needless to say myself and another 2 guys almost ran to the bathrooms, it was a good choice I wont lie, It was warm inside the bathroom and spacious aswell.

Finished up there, 5min infront of the fire then off to the car to start the dreaded undressing process in the cold. Got all dressed, needed help from guys next to me on how to put on a MTB number board because I'm a roadie so I have NO idea where to place this big ass license plate but eventally got sorted. Then off to the little pop up mechanic shop for a pump whilst having absolutely zero idea of the correct tire pressure, So just made it not too hard but not too soft, I guessed that would work.

Into the start chute, 2min to go then off we went, the 1st 2 kms were spent with me trying to figure out the 3 settings on the front shock and when was best to use each setting(this would continue for quite some time to come), about 7kms in, my computer showed 2degrees celcius as the sun was rising, it was around this time we went through an ankle deep ocean of water and my feet absolutely froze, and got colder and colder, I got to the 1st waterpoint in just under an hour which was 20kms into the race. Well stocked and friendly ladies assisting and loads of banter from other okes, as I saw the right turn into the farmlands, I knew the race was only about to begin and I was right, the 1st of many short but ridiculously steep climbs awaited and so did the technical stuff (this is what I was most afraid of, as Like I said, Only my 2nd ever time on a MTB), Guys I **** you not, what other okes thought was manure on the farms was actually coming from my bib, I was k@kking myself for lack of a better word, I always here my nates saying, "lean back, dont touch the brakes, trust the bike", Well that is ALOT easier said than done when there is a board infront saying "danger" and you as a rider have absolutely ZERO MTB handling experience and to add fuel to the fire, I cant even see where this "danger" is because 1 second I'm on land and the next I'm in the air just hoping and praying I wasn't supposed to turn somewhere and I'm now going to land in another province or something.

Anyway, I luckily, without any clue on how besides EXTREMELY slowly, managed to make it through all the technical stuff and muddy stuff and all the areas which were marked "danger" and rolled up to the 2nd waterpoint. Again, super friendly peeps even handing out beer which was not wise considering my already useless bike handling abilities, or inabilities I should say. I removed my left shoe and sock as it felt like my big toe and 2nd toe were broken or something because I could not move them or anything, Turns out they were obviously still busy defrosting from the ocean I had gone through earlier.

From the 2nd waterpoint to the finish was pretty much me just prating I get to the finish in 1 piece because I knew my luck couldn't last forever, the more and more I went uphill I was getting more and more scared because what goes up Must come down, and I was wondering just how long it was going to be before the coming down was going to be me in a bush, But it wasn't to be, well yesterday anyway. I did hold a few guys up on the 1 downhill section and apologised and they were super chilled telling me to relax and go ahead, even though I offered to pull off so they could pass (I was happy the chose not to incase I needed someone to call an ambulance) LOL.

Anyway I made it down to sea level and have never ever been that relieved in my life that there were no more downhills, I mean on a roadbike it's the uphill I hate and the downhill I enjoy, yesterday was the total opposite. I made the trek along the gravel back to the finish, paced myself and went harder and harder and looked down and realised hold up, I'm 61kms in already and still not finished so kinda emptied the tank a little too early LOL. So rolled into the with a time of 4:02 for just under 63kms and at average speed of 15.5km/h.

To all you MTB racing dudes who do this often, RESPECT becuase that aint easy. My wrists are still sore from braking so much and my quads are sore from all the sharp climbs, and my arse from sh1tting myself most of the day..

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, FootballingCyclist said:

What an absolute jol.

My 1st ever MTB race and 2nd ever time on a MTB. I was substituted in on Wednesday for a mate who could no longer ride it, I collected his bike on Thursday and shoes from another mate on Friday. Got home, Put the shoes on, went up and down the road getting used to the feel of the MTB shoes and cleats and also trying to figure out which lever are which gears. 5min later I was done because I had to get ready for a supper night out.

Saturday morning I woke up during loadshedding, packed the bike in the car and all my stuff and off I went on the long road to darling. Got there about 6:45, it was 5degrees. Anyway, number collection was easy as pie, stood in the line for the porta-loo until some guy told us we could the bathrooms in the restaurant aswell. Needless to say myself and another 2 guys almost ran to the bathrooms, it was a good choice I wont lie, It was warm inside the bathroom and spacious aswell.

Finished up there, 5min infront of the fire then off to the car to start the dreaded undressing process in the cold. Got all dressed, needed help from guys next to me on how to put on a MTB number board because I'm a roadie so I have NO idea where to place this big ass license plate but eventally got sorted. Then off to the little pop up mechanic shop for a pump whilst having absolutely zero idea of the correct tire pressure, So just made it not too hard but not too soft, I guessed that would work.

Into the start chute, 2min to go then off we went, the 1st 2 kms were spent with me trying to figure out the 3 settings on the front shock and when was best to use each setting(this would continue for quite some time to come), about 7kms in, my computer showed 2degrees celcius as the sun was rising, it was around this time we went through an ankle deep ocean of water and my feet absolutely froze, and got colder and colder, I got to the 1st waterpoint in just under an hour which was 20kms into the race. Well stocked and friendly ladies assisting and loads of banter from other okes, as I saw the right turn into the farmlands, I knew the race was only about to begin and I was right, the 1st of many short but ridiculously steep climbs awaited and so did the technical stuff (this is what I was most afraid of, as Like I said, Only my 2nd ever time on a MTB), Guys I **** you not, what other okes thought was manure on the farms was actually coming from my bib, I was k@kking myself for lack of a better word, I always here my nates saying, "lean back, dont touch the brakes, trust the bike", Well that is ALOT easier said than done when there is a board infront saying "danger" and you as a rider have absolutely ZERO MTB handling experience and to add fuel to the fire, I cant even see where this "danger" is because 1 second I'm on land and the next I'm in the air just hoping and praying I wasn't supposed to turn somewhere and I'm now going to land in another province or something.

Anyway, I luckily, without any clue on how besides EXTREMELY slowly, managed to make it through all the technical stuff and muddy stuff and all the areas which were marked "danger" and rolled up to the 2nd waterpoint. Again, super friendly peeps even handing out beer which was not wise considering my already useless bike handling abilities, or inabilities I should say. I removed my left shoe and sock as it felt like my big toe and 2nd toe were broken or something because I could not move them or anything, Turns out they were obviously still busy defrosting from the ocean I had gone through earlier.

From the 2nd waterpoint to the finish was pretty much me just prating I get to the finish in 1 piece because I knew my luck couldn't last forever, the more and more I went uphill I was getting more and more scared because what goes up Must come down, and I was wondering just how long it was going to be before the coming down was going to be me in a bush, But it wasn't to be, well yesterday anyway. I did hold a few guys up on the 1 downhill section and apologised and they were super chilled telling me to relax and go ahead, even though I offered to pull off so they could pass (I was happy the chose not to incase I needed someone to call an ambulance) LOL.

Anyway I made it down to sea level and have never ever been that relieved in my life that there were no more downhills, I mean on a roadbike it's the uphill I hate and the downhill I enjoy, yesterday was the total opposite. I made the trek along the gravel back to the finish, paced myself and went harder and harder and looked down and realised hold up, I'm 61kms in already and still not finished so kinda emptied the tank a little too early LOL. So rolled into the with a time of 4:02 for just under 63kms and at average speed of 15.5km/h.

To all you MTB racing dudes who do this often, RESPECT becuase that aint easy. My wrists are still sore from braking so much and my quads are sore from all the sharp climbs, and my arse from sh1tting myself most of the day..

20230527_064745.jpg

20230527_064753.jpg

20230527_064807.jpg

20230527_090038.jpg

20230527_101009.jpg

20230527_103533.jpg

20230527_103538.jpg

20230527_103542.jpg

20230527_103555.jpg

1 hour ago, FootballingCyclist said:

20230527_090038.jpg

That is a legit waterpoint.

Would get extra marks for biltong and sherry but times are tough.

The DB chips probably too stodgy to work on a bike ride too.