Are Tokai MTB trails safe for solo woman rider?

TrulySpoken

Hey all, is the Tokai mtb trail area safe for a solo ride on weekday mornings? Between 8-10:30 am ish.

Just checking what the vibes are like out there...

Thanks!

Tokai is very safe.

Enough traffic at that time of day with other riders or groups that you won't be the only one up there. Otherwise look to connect up with the "Trail Angels"

6 hours ago, superSee said:

Hey all, is the Tokai mtb trail area safe for a solo ride on weekday mornings? Between 8-10:30 am ish.

Thanks!

there are quite a few  riders in the park between those hours on weekdays, women and men.

trail angels are active and i've seen some coaching groups up and about the park on weekdays as late as 5pm.

It pretty safe these days with baboon patrollers, and TokaiMtb up and down regularly during the day

17 hours ago, superSee said:

Thanks!

The simple answer is yes it should be okay, there are lots of lone riders around during the day.

The biggest danger is possibly crashing when alone. 

Tokaimtb has an emergency number to call if you have any problems or see something that worries you - 087 133 1438 - and help is normally only a few minutes away.

12 hours ago, porqui said:

Should you be riding on your own ???

If you do keep this number handy in case of a fall or emergency

(I do !!)

That number has changed to 087 133 1438 since Euphoria Telkom offered to sponsor the emergency call costs.

Thanks for all the replies. Good to know that it is safe up there. I don't usually ride solo, but may have a few mornings free between meetings in the coming weeks and I thought I'd rather be out there than in a coffee shop scrolling through threads :)

I rode solo one fine day many , many moons ago. After an indeterminate amount of time I found myself being pushed into a CT scanner. I had a nasty concussion and could not recall much of what happened at the time. That was in addition to the two broken wrists making calling anyone impossible in any case. If you ride solo, make sure you are able to get help from others around. If you end up finding that you would likely be isolated with no other people around then rather make alternative plans.