Do e-bikes make that big a difference?

Boktiet82

6 hours ago, Emazing said:

Ride hard it's even harder then a regular bike but taking it easy it's much much easier. 

100% agree with this, I went to test an Ebike a little while back, and my "guide" wanted to show me what ebikes are about, we rode stuff I would never even think of on a normal bike, at speeds that were pretty darn scary, I was more tired after that ride than after a ride on a normal bike, but at times we just rode the normal trails, at a normal pace, and you are still traveling faster than on a normal bike, but with much less effort...

I want one so bad 🥲🥲

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I want one so bad 🥲🥲

Me too. I rode a mate's Trek Rail at Jonkers. TUUUURBOO all the time. I was giggling riding up Irish. 

On the down's leave it in POOOWER mode. You can duff a corner and be back up to speed in 2 pedal strokes. So so so much fun.

I wounldnt get a road ebike or one of those pretending to be a normal bike ebikes. Full cream. as much suspension as possible self propelled downhill bike. That's what I would be after. It's like having your own private ski lift.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

1 hour ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Me too. I rode a mate's Trek Rail at Jonkers. TUUUURBOO all the time. I was giggling riding up Irish. 

On the down's leave it in POOOWER mode. You can duff a corner and be back up to speed in 2 pedal strokes. So so so much fun.

I wounldnt get a road ebike or one of those pretending to be a normal bike ebikes. Full cream. as much suspension as possible self propelled downhill bike. That's what I would be after. It's like having your own private ski lift.

I was going up Jonkers a few weeks back.  My first time ever on these trails, so I was going a good pace, but certainly slow enough to be able to react on blind corners ....  Being pressed for time, I was not idling along either ...

On one of the switch backs I noted another rider much lower along the trails ....

Based on my speed and how fast he was closing in .... I would guess he was climbing at 25 to 30 km/h.

He caught me between two climbs, 5 and 6 if I recall.  I tried to follow him.... quickly realised he must know what is waiting around the next blind turn .... and then he was gone.

He clearly was using this as his "slope lift chair".

He even managed to greet me ..... :P

An ebike is just a "tool" .... good or bad is up to the operator ....

Given how fast them E-bikes were flying past me this past weekend while climbing at Tokai, I must say, my interest in owning one has certainly grown! Plus when they're on top, no "breather" required, just drop straight in.

I've always been pro E-bike for the reason that it allows a (fit) son and (not so fit) dad to ride together at a similar pace, but for enduro type of riding, even the younger (and fitter) riders would consider getting one.

Only issue is that I'd have to sell my car in order to be able to afford one...

Edited by aiyaaz

3 types of e bike riders out there.

1. The e bike stage racer - he wants the biggest battery to get him through W2W stage 1 without a battery change 

2. The Enduro / Gravity rider - Big battery with maningi travel for as many runs as there are hours in the day

3. The lightweight - 50nmt motor with a small battery. Usually for mommy to ride with daddy, and when mommy rides alone she can actually lift the bike onto the bike rack. 

All 3 (and the combination of any of these) areas have seen tremendous growth in the last 3 years, and the bikes have all evolved at a staggering rate. 

A colleague from Durban is currently in Somerset West at our head office. I’ve shown him around on our locals and he said that he now understands why I have an e bike. Being able to get from SW to G Spot, do 2 or 3 runs and back home in under 2 hours makes way more sense than doing a 2 hour ride on the road to Stellies and back before work.

And on weekends I easily ride from SW to Banhoek, over to Boshendal, have a light lunch and back to SW in 3 to 4 hours, with battery to spare. 

Its still work, but you can really decide how much work it is. 

3 hours ago, GLuvsMtb said:

3 types of e bike riders out there.

1. The e bike stage racer - he wants the biggest battery to get him through W2W stage 1 without a battery change 

2. The Enduro / Gravity rider - Big battery with maningi travel for as many runs as there are hours in the day

3. The lightweight - 50nmt motor with a small battery. Usually for mommy to ride with daddy, and when mommy rides alone she can actually lift the bike onto the bike rack. 

All 3 (and the combination of any of these) areas have seen tremendous growth in the last 3 years, and the bikes have all evolved at a staggering rate. 

A colleague from Durban is currently in Somerset West at our head office. I’ve shown him around on our locals and he said that he now understands why I have an e bike. Being able to get from SW to G Spot, do 2 or 3 runs and back home in under 2 hours makes way more sense than doing a 2 hour ride on the road to Stellies and back before work.

And on weekends I easily ride from SW to Banhoek, over to Boshendal, have a light lunch and back to SW in 3 to 4 hours, with battery to spare. 

Its still work, but you can really decide how much work it is. 

A lady friend wants to get an ebike ... but is worried about the weight and getting the bike onto the rack for transport.....  but she wants the big battery for the long rides.

I suggested she just remove the battery before lifting it onto the rack.  With many brands it is just the turn of a key and the battery clips out.  Then it is just a tad heavier than a normal bike.

23 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

My experience exactly. Went to Jonkers first time with mates and was on (what was) my wife's ebike. I cold not even dream of riding up there the speed they went without the assistance. I think it was irish but might as well have been on the moon if i had my normal bike. then on the way down - holy smoke - rode in to some stuff i would normally have had to change my shorts if i had been on a normal bike.

Went directly from there and fitted a Lyrik 170mm , dropper post and now some big gooey rubber is next on the ebike. (Specialized Levo). I used it at Plasir - rode up meulstroom happily and came down again - and wasn't shattered.

For CTN and regions ebike makes things next level in terms of the enjoyment. All the other times you are taking an XC bike up there as you want the lowest weight and then riding down - wearing Lycra? Overseas they would think you are bonkers.

The shift is happening and most of the steep trails are either Epic level entrants riding XC machines and weight weenies or ebikes. 

If you live in CTN and wnat to have fun then get an ebike. Simple. Makes people like me enjoy much more riding.

On 3/24/2022 at 10:14 AM, Boktiet82 said:

I am just curious about how big a difference e-bikes makes on the effort required to ride. The camera riders that follow the leaders in the EPIC seem to be following the leaders with relative ease, especially on the inclines. Granted, I guess there needs to be a certain level of fitness involved to ride these distances behind the leaders, but do e-bikes make it THAT easy to do this with what seems to be 50% of the effort involved riding a normal bike?

If you have ever been suffering up a hill and a guy double your weight and age comes cruising past hardly panting, you will realise that ebikes make a difference…

9 hours ago, ChrisF said:

A lady friend wants to get an ebike ... but is worried about the weight and getting the bike onto the rack for transport.....  but she wants the big battery for the long rides.

I suggested she just remove the battery before lifting it onto the rack.  With many brands it is just the turn of a key and the battery clips out.  Then it is just a tad heavier than a normal bike.

When I had a full-fat Levo, I used to remove the battery during long trips to reduce the leverage on the rack (which is not unsubstantial) and give me a bit of extra peace of mind. It definitely also makes it easier to lift it onto and off the rails.

11 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

When I had a full-fat Levo, I used to remove the battery during long trips to reduce the leverage on the rack (which is not unsubstantial) and give me a bit of extra peace of mind. It definitely also makes it easier to lift it onto and off the rails.

11 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

Good idea for sure and you cannot lose the battery off the bike on the rack (I know about this; R15 000 later) but, did you cover the battery contacts or not travel on gravel or dusty roads?  

On 11/4/2022 at 6:21 AM, mazambaan said:

Good idea for sure and you cannot lose the battery off the bike on the rack (I know about this; R15 000 later) but, did you cover the battery contacts or not travel on gravel or dusty roads?  

Just use a long haired brush to clean the contacts before putting the battery back in.

Along the same l8ne of thought - I find that using Q20 actually attracts MORE dust .... I am now trying WD40.

6 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Just use a long haired brush to clean the contacts before putting the battery back in.

Along the same l8ne of thought - I find that using Q20 actually attracts MORE dust .... I am now trying WD40.

I see the interwebs tell be that there is a velcro joining calf brace that can be used to protect the battery connections. There are also guys who have changed the Giant connectors to waterproof ones (IP60?).  I use a bit of switch cleaner on the contacts..  

With only 2 eBike excursions under my belt, I am by no means an expert, but I can say that they make a HUGE difference when pedalling.

Both outings were with my wife (non-cyclist) and more about the scenery than the ride or workout.

First one was the Lake Dunstan Cycle Trail. A 55km trail conisting of moslty gravel path or decked bridges. Did it on cheapo rental eMTB's. Ambling along in eco mode for the flats and going into Boost mode on the climbs (some of which were pretty big) made the ride very enjoyable.

Lake Dunstan trail awarded Great Ride status one year after opening - NZ  Herald

Second was the Rotorua Forest Loop. About 31km of easy-to-moderate forest trail, undulating, plenty of roots, tight switch-back climbs etc. This time we rented some Scott Genius eMTB's.

The bikes and trails were far more rider orientated than the previous experience. I mostly just ambled along with the group (non-cyclists), but did take the odd offshoot to have some fun and test the bike.

As others have said, the ease at which one can race out of corners is amazing. The extra weight at a lower centre-of-gravity adds a sort of stability of the rough-stuff (similar to how a dirt like feels riding over bumpy tech stuff, but to a lesser extent).

Where I did find it lacking was in the air. Granted this was my first time on a "fun" eBike, so I have much to learn in the way of the different technique, but it felt dead in the air and required a lot more effort to get it there. Although it is 9kg heavier than my Trek Remedy, it felt about 30kg heavier when trying to playfully hop around on the trail.

Bringing the Whaka to the masses | The Rotorua Forest Loop

So would I buy one...

Yes!

They are pretty darn fun, and for someone like myself (who has become a lethargic rider in the last few years), it could be the difference between deciding to drive the 45min (each way) to the local trails and enjoy a good few hours out there, or dissuade myself that the lengthy drive is not worth the 1.5hrs of gruelling climbs for a few brief (but fun) descents.

After all, I ride for fun.

Would I have it as my only bike...

No. 

With fun being the main reason I ride, the dead-weight dynamics of the eBike when trying to be playful on the trail, or get some air, are a bit frustrating. As mentioned, I'm sure this would get better with time and practice, but on descents, I still prefer my Remedy.

So in an ideal world, I'd have R140k of fun money just waiting to be spent, and I'd get a Trek Fuel EXE (the "in-between eBike" and only about 4kg heavier than my Remedy). But as such amounts of fun money seem to evade me, and I cannot deny that I have considered selling my Husky dirt bike to fund such a toy, as realistically I'd probably get more use out of it than the dinosaur-juice burner.

Fuel EXe | Trek Bikes (NZ)

Edited by patches

On 11/4/2022 at 6:21 AM, mazambaan said:

No off-tar driving at all, my current car is a princess with low-profile rubber and negligible ground clearance 😜

Edited by LazyTrailRider