Sani2C 2022

pedal menace

Wow - I have family in Ballito and the videos and pictures I receive exactly where they stay absolutely breaks my heart. Houses ..GONE! The damage is incomprehensible. My heart goes out to each and every individual affected!

Holla Trails apparently is close to non existent - closed indefinitely. It makes me wonder if the Sani2C will continue? I can only assume most trails closer to the coast has been totally destroyed. 

Edited by pedal menace

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, WIPEOUT 1000 said:

I suppose the same question applies for Joberg2C next week?

Very much so...I hope organizers will communicate timeously. 

Let's hope the flooding did not totally destroy the trails and that there is enough time for them to fix it. Anything close to a river will be gone.

Was thinking about this as am doing the Sani2C Adventure in May - holding thumbs the trails have not been washed away!

43 minutes ago, Pieterlab1 said:

Sani is only in May.

The water should be in the sea by then.

It is not about the water - 🙄

It is about trails/paths possibly completely and utterly destroyed by the water and the ability it fix by then. They are only human after all. 

44 minutes ago, _David_ said:

Let's hope the flooding did not totally destroy the trails and that there is enough time for them to fix it. Anything close to a river will be gone.

Exactly - spot on!

And an additional thought - many homes including guest houses were affected - if not destroyed. Roads are gone! All of this cannot humanly be fixed within a month (or two weeks for Joburg2C). There is a lot to consider - it is so much more than just water flowing to the ocean. 

Edited by pedal menace

Agreed with the points above - I remember we rode Sani in 2019 and there was severe damage to the trails on the Day 3 that run next to the river. We had several hike a bike sections through some river sand - I am assuming that a lot of those trails will be gone now. Then there is the case of the trails than run all the way along the Umkomaas on Day 2 - not sure what the Umko has been like in the flooding but seeing some of the videos and photos coming through from KZN is likely flooded?

31 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

It is not about the water - 🙄

It is about trails/paths possibly completely and utterly destroyed by the water and the ability it fix by then. They are only human after all. 

Aai. 🙄

6 minutes ago, Cookie88 said:

Agreed with the points above - I remember we rode Sani in 2019 and there was severe damage to the trails on the Day 3 that run next to the river. We had several hike a bike sections through some river sand - I am assuming that a lot of those trails will be gone now. Then there is the case of the trails than run all the way along the Umkomaas on Day 2 - not sure what the Umko has been like in the flooding but seeing some of the videos and photos coming through from KZN is likely flooded?

Whats a few extra road gaps Cookie?

2 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Whats a few extra road gaps Cookie?

Some road gaps and water wings?

Im doing JHB2c this year , lost  money when Covid hit. Please not another cancellation.

Im thinking some gravel road riding where trails are gone.

My gut too thinks they may reroute parts onto district roads that have been destroyed/cannot be fixed - they too cannot afford more cancellations. It will be the end of many if they do (even if it is the last Joberg2C ever). We might miss some awesome sections but that is par for the course I guess. Let's see what happens. Holding thumbs! 

Joberg2C

Greetings awesome mountain bikers all over the planet,

When all the talking is said and done it is time to ride – we are having our challenges on route thanks to global storming.
Most of you would have seen the crazy weather that has caused havoc on the coast of KwaZulu-Natal.

Our thoughts and love goes out to those people who are suffering. If you want to do your bit please consider Gift of the Givers who are tireless in their efforts to help people..

joberg2c will work around the challenges and we will ride, come next Friday. We have route options for each day. After what the world has been through and what it is going through, this might be one of the more contemplative mountain bike rides you will do.

As they say in the classics, “never mind the weather as long as we are together” – and the saying “n boer maak n plan” (a farmer makes a plan) has never been more apt.