2022 Specialized Turbo Levo Alloy

GarethJ74

Hi all,

we recently did the SANI2C adventure, and my partner rode a brand new Specialized Turbo Levo Alloy. Bike was great, until it was an extremely hazardous tool. The bike just started moving on its own, and cycling through the functions off, eco, trail and turbo, unable to switch the bike off with power button either. On single track heading down into the Umko valley is where things really started, and then up to bottom of iconic. She had 3 fingers on back brake and 2 on front to stop her, but this did not stop the horrific falls she took in the last two days, she has today gone for X-rays on her chest, as the last tumble was between two single track crossing a dirt road, and the bike launched out of control, cross rutting and throwing her to the ground falling on her chest (airbags deployed ;) seriously took the wind out of her, and a while to get back up on her feet -. Two very competent Specialized franchises couldn’t fix the bike on the last evening. The bike is now back with the supplier.  
 My partner does not want the bike back, as she is terrified it will happen again, of which I don’t blame her. I would be very careful of this issue being a batch problem as well, guys please be very careful and aware of the hazard they can cause to a rider. I’m now waiting to hear from Specialized head office…..

Edited by GarethJ74

Wow that must have been a very scary experience, especially down the Umko valley!

Glad she's okay & hope it didn't scare her from a great sport.

Would love to hear what the diagnostic outcome is with this bike.

Hi

This is quite a widely publisied problem with the Levo's (motor running on independant of cyclist input).

From what I understand,  they normally just replace the motor under warranty. Not a problem if you still want the bike, but doesn't help you with your situation. I will be interested to hear how Specialized handle this given the circumstance .  

Edited by Mike Mac

Oh dear - motorbike problems...why post here, its clearly a job for Specialized's warranty department. I'm sure once they sort it out she'll have no more issues. Spesh eBikes are among the best you can get.

Apparently cyclists were being passed on the up hills in slithery conditions by less than stellar bike pilots in full turbo mode. Must have been a nightmare, which begs the question, should eBikes not have their very own events rather than being mixed up with fit able bodied riders? 

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

e-bikes are evil.

Hope your friend heals up soon.

Just a thought though, why didnt she just take the battery out if it was becoming dangerous like that ?

They are evil, when out of control!

biggest issue was that you couldn’t switch it off, if you unplugged the battery you not able to pedal as plug was in the way of pedal.

That was an option, but where to place the battery when you in middle of nowhere?

anyway, just don’t think Specialized has thought through the liability issue of not being able to deactivate the bike/kill switch, isolating it. And maybe a battery holder for when things like this happen 😂

20 minutes ago, YaseenEnos said:

Wondering if i should grab popcorn or if there will be a rational discussion about this....

I'll get things going...

You see most ebikes are borderline enduro weapons (hate that cliché 🙂)  not really intended for marathon type events. They're meant to shuttle you up so you can ride down as often as possible. Fun in other words. Trust SA to turn them into stage race bikes. Eish.

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Oh dear - motorbike problems...why post here, its clearly a job for Specialized's warranty department. I'm sure once they sort it out she'll have no more issues. Spesh eBikes are among the best you can get.

Apparently cyclists were being passed on the up hills in slithery conditions by less than stellar bike pilots in full turbo mode. Must have been a nightmare, which begs the question, should eBikes not have their very own events rather than being mixed up with fit able bodied riders? 

I agree that e-bikers blasting past (and in some cases forcing their way through) is at the very least unpleasant for all, if not dangerous. If we e-bikers don't learn some respect for the other riders and decent manners, there are going to be consequences. 

I recently rode in an event with a mix of e-bikes (I would guess about 20% of the field) and non assisted bikes. Being very conscious of the frustration of having e-bikers blast past on the uphill’s and then hold the more experienced and skill non assisted riders up on the downhills, I started mid pack and then very slowly moved my way up the field to the point where I was comfortably sitting with the pack on the downhills. Once there, I adjusted the e-bikes output to where I was working hard on the ups, going at the same pace as the group I was with. End result was a great blend of e-bike and non-assisted riding along in relative harmony. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the privileged of been able to share the trails with the other riders and hope that we can continue to enjoy these events together  

47 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I'll get things going...

You see most ebikes are borderline enduro weapons (hate that cliché 🙂)  not really intended for marathon type events. They're meant to shuttle you up so you can ride down as often as possible. Fun in other words. Trust SA to turn them into stage race bikes. Eish.

In this scenario I can see application for Ebike and Ebike racing (Enduro and even Downhill).

Im just going to say it and I know there are others thinking this. BUT in my eyes Ebike are just some light weight pedal based dirt bikes – Which I have no issue with (phew).

So seeing them at my local trails doesnt phase me (I actually wish some of my buddies could get one so they can keep up – humble brag).

Watching them race at marathon events (and I see at the last WC XCO event) is still something I have to do mental gymnastics with to rationalise.

Ebikes do make sense if you want to explore long distances (provided you covered for batteries) which would make touring events with tour guide more appealing.

Just my 2cents.

10 minutes ago, Mike Mac said:

I agree that e-bikers blasting past (and in some cases forcing their way through) is at the very least unpleasant for all, if not dangerous. If we e-bikers don't learn some respect for the other riders and decent manners, there are going to be consequences. 

I recently rode in an event with a mix of e-bikes (I would guess about 20% of the field) and non assisted bikes. Being very conscious of the frustration of having e-bikers blast past on the uphill’s and then hold the more experienced and skill non assisted riders up on the downhills, I started mid pack and then very slowly moved my way up the field to the point where I was comfortably sitting with the pack on the downhills. Once there, I adjusted the e-bikes output to where I was working hard on the ups, going at the same pace as the group I was with. End result was a great blend of e-bike and non-assisted riding along in relative harmony. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the privileged of been able to share the trails with the other riders and hope that we can continue to enjoy these events together  

100% agreed, we try and maintain that ethic, here was a different story as the bike was out of control erratically, luckily for other riders not affecting them too much but my partner, shame she took some serious hits and blows, totally unnecessarily.

but like they say, respect other riders on the trail and each to there own opinion on which weapon of choice

Edited by GarethJ74

5 hours ago, GarethJ74 said:

Hi all,

we recently did the SANI2C adventure, and my partner rode a brand new Specialized Turbo Levo Alloy. Bike was great, until it was an extremely hazardous tool. The bike just started moving on its own, and cycling through the functions off, eco, trail and turbo, unable to switch the bike off with power button either. On single track heading down into the Umko valley is where things really started, and then up to bottom of iconic. She had 3 fingers on back brake and 2 on front to stop her, but this did not stop the horrific falls she took in the last two days, she has today gone for X-rays on her chest, as the last tumble was between two single track crossing a dirt, and the bike launched out of control, cross rutting and throwing her to the ground falling on her chest (airbags deployed ;) seriously took the wind out of her, and a while to get back up on her feet -. Two very competent Specialized franchises couldn’t fix the bike on the last evening. The bike is now back with the supplier.  
 My partner does not want the bike back, as she is terrified it will happen again, of which I don’t blame her. I would be very careful of this issue being a batch problem as well, o guys please be very careful. I’m now waiting to hear from Specialized head office…..

Was it like a turbo walk mode ? the assistance should stop when you stop peddling ? 

I know the bikes have a short overrun when you stop peddling ..but that bike sounds possessed ... suggest you take it a priest.

Hope they sort it out , first time I have heard of this. I suppose when they pumping out such high numbers there is bound to be an evil lemon in the production line. Hope she is ok. Scary .

4 hours ago, Headshot said:

should eBikes not have their very own events rather than being mixed up with fit able bodied riders? 

That would be Ideal .. I don't like riding with analog riders ... they slow the uphill-flow and make things un-intresting and boring and listening to them talk about FTP's and 8% body fat the whole time is exhausting.😚

At the moment there are no eBike specific events, but once those evil Ebikers get enough footprint, so that a ebike only event can be supported, I am sure they will start popping up.. I personally can't wait. 

So until then ill have to slum it with the 1900's folk

Edited by DuncanDoughnuts

2 hours ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Was it like a turbo walk mode ? the assistance should stop when you stop peddling ? 

I know the bikes have a short overrun when you stop peddling ..but that bike sounds possessed ... suggest you take it a priest.

Hope they sort it out , first time I have heard of this. I suppose when they pumping out such high numbers there is bound to be an evil lemon in the production line. Hope she is ok. Scary .

Yup, walk in eco, then walk in trail, then walk in turbo and then in all of them cycling one after the other…. She had 3 fingers on back break and 2 on front and still running the down hill…brave girl 🙈then when she could stop, no ways of isolating the bike unless the battery plug was removed 

Edited by GarethJ74

4 minutes ago, GarethJ74 said:

Yup, walk in eco, then walk in trail, then walk in turbo and then in all of then one after the other…. She had 3 fingers on back break and 2 on front and still running the down hill…brave girl 🙈then when she could stop, no ways of isolating the bike unless the battery plug was removed 

Crazy and scary at the same time. Hope they replace the bike and hope this does not put her off the joys of ebiking.