Titan Racing Pro vs Scott Spark 940

Darryl Pentz

4 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

I don't really understand the need for two bottles. If you doing a big day out, or a really long race, just get one of those fancy, lightweight hydration packs from USWE or Camelbak. I don't get the stigma attached to wearing a back pack. Even Matt Beers and Alan Hatherly use them sometimes. You're ruling out some really great bikes for lack of a bottle carrying capacity. I'd definitely pick the 2022 Top Fuel over the other 2 options...and I'd buy a back pack. 😅

Fully agree on the hydration pack ....

But WHY a Trek .... lifes' toooooo short ....

SCOTT 940 .... my heart

TITAN RACING .... if it had to be a logical call 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I should have qualified re the two cages. Given my (current) size I'm not a racing snake, and it's unlikely I'll ever be one, so rides like the Epic are probably out (well, yes, the cost too!). So I'm looking to do races that favour my slow starting diesel engine strengths on the endurance side. My current goal is to do the 36ONE next year, but since I'm doing some serious training now (at least compared to my couch potato previous life) I'd like to get onto a 29'er sooner rather than later.

Given the need for supplies en route for these endurance rides, I'd like to have more weight on the bike than on my back, if possible. I hear you guys on the hydration pack. I'm not against it as such, I even have a 2L Camelbak. Thing is for the longer rides, you need a lot of gear on board for possible breakdowns. So it's not just about water. The Trek Top Fuel is a really nice bike, so I'll reconsider given the comments. Regardless, I really appreciate all the differing views. As a relative newbie, it's all good information for me to come to a decision.

I'm still Scott Spark 940 with my heart, and Titan Racing Cypher Pro with my head. But definitely mulling the comments, so please keep them coming if you have an opinion to share. 🙏

(Good thing I didn't ask for opinions on the AXS vs mechanical - we'd be here all day! 👀 😄)

Edited by Darryl Pentz

1 hour ago, Mattman said:

You can solve this problem by getting the holy rail. I have a 2018 Spark 920, size Large, and with a bit of manoeuvring and the right size bottles, I can get in 2 decent size bottles (a 700ml and 600ml). Rather give it a try before you eliminate many good bike options. 

Unsure if the op is going for a medium or large but does the holy rail cater for two bottles on a medium scott spark as well? 

4 minutes ago, figjam_sa said:

Unsure if the op is going for a medium or large but does the holy rail cater for two bottles on a medium scott spark as well? 

Probably a L but I wouldn't need the holy rail on the Spark would I?

20 minutes ago, Darryl Pentz said:

So I should have qualified re the two cages. Given my (current) size I'm not a racing snake, and it's unlikely I'll ever be one, so rides like the Epic are probably out (well, yes, the cost too!). So I'm looking to do races that favour my slow starting diesel engine strengths on the endurance side. My current goal is to do the 36ONE next year, but since I'm doing some serious training now (at least compared to my couch potato previous life) I'd like to get onto a 29'er sooner rather than later.

Given the need for supplies en route for these endurance rides, I'd like to have more weight on the bike than on my back, if possible. I hear you guys on the hydration pack. I'm not against it as such, I even have a 2L Camelbak. Thing is for the longer rides, you need a lot of gear on board for possible breakdowns. So it's not just about water. The Trek Top Fuel is a really nice bike, so I'll reconsider given the comments. Regardless, I really appreciate all the differing views. As a relative newbie, it's all good information for me to come to a decision.

I'm still Scott Spark 940 with my heart, and Titan Racing Cypher Pro with my head. But definitely mulling the comments, so please keep them coming if you have an opinion to share. 🙏

(Good thing I didn't ask for opinions on the AXS vs mechanical - we'd be here all day! 👀 😄)

I do xc and I hate wearing backpacks and stuff on me so I always lean towards the bikes with two bottle cages as well.. its personal preference. 

But there are options like the holy rail from Lyne and you get bottle cages that fit at the back of your seatpost. I see them alot on Trek and Scott bikes. 

Just now, Darryl Pentz said:

Probably not. If Im not mistaken that triangle isnt very big though. Hopefully someone with a Spark can confirm if it can take 2 decent sized water bottles?

1 hour ago, Darryl Pentz said:

The L frame of the current Scott comfortably takes TWO large water bottles :thumbup:

That said .... doing something like the Hemel and Aarde trails in hotter weather you may well need to fill up at the halfway point.

HA-74.jpg.da983777d46caa7ad4746aa8cd1fd0a0.jpg

On this ride he used one large bottle for his fuel mix, and the Camelbak for drinking.  He has since fitted two large bottles.

3 hours ago, Darryl Pentz said:

In that case I'd suggest the Titan. The Spark is more towards the trail bike side of the spectrum, with the Spark RC more towards the marathon side of the spectrum. Why I say this: The slacker head angle and longer reach of the Spark is more stable bike, but unless you plan to do rowdy descents, then the Titan's more traditional geometry is perfectly fine. 

And maybe buy a bike that will be serviced by a shop NEAR you that has a great reputation. No use buying a Scott if the nearest shop that will have to help you is a lame duck. I like Scott, and my local shop (The Hanger Bike Co in Somerset West) is fantastic, but if I had a Specialized I would have to drive through to their store in Stellenbosch for any Specialized query. 

There is nothing funny, special or hidden on the Titan, that is a plus in my book. 

Lastly, if you get the Scott, please get the GX upgrade. Sram SX and NX is terrible. Or well, the NX derailleurs I've had to faff with was terrible. 

59 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

In that case I'd suggest the Titan. The Spark is more towards the trail bike side of the spectrum, with the Spark RC more towards the marathon side of the spectrum. Why I say this: The slacker head angle and longer reach of the Spark is more stable bike, but unless you plan to do rowdy descents, then the Titan's more traditional geometry is perfectly fine. 

And maybe buy a bike that will be serviced by a shop NEAR you that has a great reputation. No use buying a Scott if the nearest shop that will have to help you is a lame duck. I like Scott, and my local shop (The Hanger Bike Co in Somerset West) is fantastic, but if I had a Specialized I would have to drive through to their store in Stellenbosch for any Specialized query. 

There is nothing funny, special or hidden on the Titan, that is a plus in my book. 

Lastly, if you get the Scott, please get the GX upgrade. Sram SX and NX is terrible. Or well, the NX derailleurs I've had to faff with was terrible. 

Ironically they’re just up the hill from me here too in Som West 😊

57 minutes ago, Darryl Pentz said:

Ironically they’re just up the hill from me here too in Som West 😊

Well then I'd buy from them as well (I did buy my Genius from them.) chat to Rigardt, the Hanger online store guy.

But between Johnty and Piet there you'll be in good hands of you buy a Scott. Or a Titan. 

But take it from the man who bought a Ford in the platteland, and then had to take it to the local guys for warranty work, next time I'll buy from the dealer who'll need to have my back.  Especially if it's a Ford. Fortunately the guys at Kelfords are better at QC than the Muppets at the factory in Pretoria. 

If it was my money and as much as it pains me to say it I would go for the Titan. 

Carbon Reynolds wheels, overall better components and much lighter. The Scott with the new carbon frame and Pike fork will be great fun when pointing it down, I have had a spin on a new 910 and it's better than the previous gen but it looks like a e-bike and that fat neck just doesn't work for me. 

7 hours ago, El Duderino said:

I don't really understand the need for two bottles. If you doing a big day out, or a really long race, just get one of those fancy, lightweight hydration packs from USWE or Camelbak. I don't get the stigma attached to wearing a back pack. Even Matt Beers and Alan Hatherly use them sometimes. You're ruling out some really great bikes for lack of a bottle carrying capacity. I'd definitely pick the 2022 Top Fuel over the other 2 options...and I'd buy a back pack. 😅

Asprey does some very nice hydration packs - these should always be up for consideration