Maxxis MTB Tyre Quality

Ivan Bergman

17 minutes ago, Ivan Bergman said:

Haha think we'll need some financing options alongside these recommendations.

I've also been on them for a few sets now, primarily because out in the middle of nowhere, selection is a rare commodity. Saying that, I haven't had anything to complain about up-until-recently.

So IIRC, the 1st and 2nd set was with the Muc-Off sealant, I ran out and bought some off-brand at my LBS for the 3rd set. Do you perhaps know why the tyres aren't playing nice with the sealant?

So far it seems a 50-50. Some people swear by them, some don't. On setup, I always check and clean the bead as best as I can. I redo setups and maintain them fairly often and never had any sort of issues like this. But note to future to fit them dry to double check. Do you reckon the tyre popping off the rim could cause damage? Especially on carbon?

I don't think rim damage is likely but maybe damage to the bead of the tyre. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Sloth1987 said:

I don't think rim damage is likely but maybe damage to the bead of the tyre. 

Rim damage is actually quite likely if you have a huge blowout. I have bent some ally rims to the point when the wheels needed retruing, and the side of the rims needed to be bent back. A lot of people underestimate the force of a tubeless blowout, but I can say the they ain't a joke.

55 minutes ago, Ivan Bergman said:

..... But note to future to fit them dry to double check. Do you reckon the tyre popping off the rim could cause damage? Especially on carbon?

Car and motorcycle tyres are fitted and seated while brushing on some soapy water .....

I always do this when going tubeless on a MTB.  So far so good ....

I have had good experiences with MAXXIS, and Vittoria.  I have been tempted to try Specialized tyres .. often on good specials.

2 hours ago, Ivan Bergman said:

I mean sure, this would have an effect, but as much? I don't know. Surely reputable brands would anticipate some of the QC fail percentage to go up with the supply chain challenges but focus should still remain on delivering a product that works? Especially when the product costs as much as a small hatchback's tyres.

It makes sense in the short term to drop QC standards to drive volume, but in the longer term brand reputation takes a hit which could potentially have a larger, more detrimental impact. Someone had to think of that right? Or is my assumption way too idealistic and manufacturers are happy with the "some definite money now > potentially more money later" approach?

Maxxis are the biggest supplier of tires.

They are also specced on HEAPS of OEM bikes and models, so what they manufacture often doesn't even scratch the surface of the 'tire only' market.

Car tire manufacturers are struggling too.

I know of scaffolding companies having to bin entire container loads of new kit as the steel isn't to spec.

There are very far reaching implications of factories being shut down, refineries laying dormant and the workforce being laid off.

The biggest suppliers will show it first, the smaller players will see it later.  

2 hours ago, svm3000 said:

Stan's sealant and approx 400km on the tyre with about 100km off road , now I wait to hear if they will replace it

IMG-20220531-WA0036.jpg

Is it just me or is that bead seating very close to the edge of the tyre? I've done over 12000km in the last fee years with various Maxxis tyres and no problems at all. Have any of you guys (when struggling to get the last bit of tyre on) had to use tyre levers? As that can stretch the casing....

56 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Car and motorcycle tyres are fitted and seated while brushing on some soapy water .....

I always do this when going tubeless on a MTB.  So far so good ....

I have had good experiences with MAXXIS, and Vittoria.  I have been tempted to try Specialized tyres .. often on good specials.

Agree 100%. I use a bit of sunlight liquid and water (very little). I mostly use petrol station air and get tyres to seal eezy peezy.

Never had problems with Maxxis tyres - many sold kms on all the ones I ran.

I wanted to try something new when my previous Ardent Race needed replacing and got a Vittoria Barzo for the front. Did not work for me as it kept on loosing air on the front and I found the riding experience on the front not to my liking. Finally had enough and chucked the Barzo away. Back to Maxxis now and happy again. I don't think the tann sidewall is as durable as the normal ones anyway

4 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Again my opinion, this is not financial advise and please contact your financial advisor (hehe). Any way, I normally use these on my builds: 

Vittoria - Mezcal, Barzo, Saguaro
Spez - Fast Track, Ground Control
Bontrager - XR range but the team issue. It is a racing tire and the compound is softer, so it wears quicker

I really want to try these but seems nobody has experience with them. Scorpion™ XC RC | Pirelli Cycling

Maybe someone has an opinion...

5 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

My opinion about their tires: It is a great tire but there's better brands currently available that offer way more km's and holds it form for longer. But again, this is my opinion. 

I got killed on the Cape Epic thread, but I fear not to post this... Why does Schurter get so many flat tyres at the Cape Epic? The SCOTT SRAM manager replies (brujulabike.com)

I have had various maxxis tyres in the past, and had problems with all of them. I gave Schwalbe, Onza, wtb and Continental a try. I have since stuck to continental De baron, de baron projekt, mountain king, rubber queen/ trail king, de kaiser and de kaiser projekt. I see the now have a new range which is front and rear specific. Unfortunately you can get most of them locally. I end up buying from bike 24 or  bike discount.

The wtb are also good. I have trail boss as a rear tyre and front on my ht and the grip is surprising. I also have a very aggressive convict as a front tyre. 

As many opinions as there are tyre brands...I've had less than perfect tyres from several brands over the years. Maybe it was a bad batch in your case. The Ardents I have on my enduro HT have been awesome - they repair well with plugs and the rear tyre, despite being worn out still holds air perfectly. I run them on old 26" Stans Flow rims. The Maxxis Assegai on my other bike has been fit and forget too. 

I think there are several variable - rim design, pressure, rider weight all play a role. A friend of mine had tyres pop off his MTB rims (Roval carbons) while riding on the tar. He's a heavy lad and pressures were too high for summer.

My experience with crossmarks are good. Have been riding them front and back since 26 bikes. Always tubeless. When the new crossmarks came out I was advised by LBS not to use Stans. Just got myself a new pair of old crossmarks filled up with stans and no issues as I still had litre or 2 of stans left.

For me Maxxis Crossmarks have been my choice when riding across the country - I just feel that they can take a lot of abuse and they have yet to let me down.

I had this thought last year while riding Freedom challenge next to two other guys also on expensive dual suspensions, that we were all riding Maxxis, but we all had different versions and also different width tyres. Surely there should be some consistency as we were all on the same route?

I do think there is a case to be make for distributors and shops to do more to inform purchasers about what tyre might best suit their riding style and terrain, especially given the price of tyres now and just how important they are to the riding experience or just finishing a ride. So much time is spent on 11vs 12 speed, what gps unit one uses etc, but seldom does one hear when you purchase "what do you want to use the tyre for?"