Rear shock travel

GMn

Hi guys. So recently I've purchased a dual suspension bike. Coming from a couple of hardtails I'm kinda lost on how the rear shock travel works. 

I've noticed on the shock the eye to eye travel is 190x 45mm stroke but how do I figure out howmuch travel that is in total for example is it 120mm or 110mm etc 

I'm currently riding a 2019 Norco Optic and was wanting to get more shock travel out of it. Is it possible or not?? 

Thanks in advance 

33 minutes ago, GM@n said:

Hi guys. So recently I've purchased a dual suspension bike. Coming from a couple of hardtails I'm kinda lost on how the rear shock travel works. 

I've noticed on the shock the eye to eye travel is 190x 45mm stroke but how do I figure out howmuch travel that is in total for example is it 120mm or 110mm etc 

I'm currently riding a 2019 Norco Optic and was wanting to get more shock travel out of it. Is it possible or not?? 

Thanks in advance 

You would need to let all the air out of the shock and fully compress the rear suspension to see how much clearance you have between tire and seattube and potentially linkage and frame. Even if you can overstroke it by a few mm, the manufacturer gave it a specific amount of travel for a reason.

If you need more travel, then you should consider a more aggressive longer travel bike, as squeezing more travel out of a frame has its disadvantages for sure.

As Mtbrider said, Will have to check, only way to increase, even if there was space, would to go find a shock with the same eye to eye, but with more stroke.

This still isn’t ideal, best would be to upgrade frame.

rear travel is down to leverage ratio not expose stroke or stanchion.

50mm stroke can result in in 100mm travel with 2 leverage ratio or 3 with appropriate ratio

14 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

50mm stroke can result in in 100mm travel with 2 leverage ratio or 3 with appropriate ratio

Okay so how do I find out the leverage ratio of the bike I have is or is it not that simple? Sorry it's just so confusing to me 

27 minutes ago, AkwA said:

As Mtbrider said, Will have to check, only way to increase, even if there was space, would to go find a shock with the same eye to eye, but with more stroke.

This still isn’t ideal, best would be to upgrade frame.

That would definitely be on the cards but not immediately. 

18 minutes ago, GM@n said:

Okay so how do I find out the leverage ratio of the bike I have is or is it not that simple? Sorry it's just so confusing to me 

Pretty sure leverage ratio is shock travel divided by stroke length

34 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

I was saying if he wants to increase travel, he must increase stroke...

As there is no way to easily change your leverage ratio (at least to my knowledge)

It's 110 mm 29er and 120mm 650b

And you can never use all the travel unless the Shock is PAP

Specs

Rear ShockFox Float DPS Factory, 190x50.8mm, EVOL/Kashima Coating

7 hours ago, GM@n said:

Divide your shock stroke by the bike travel

Ie. 50mm shock stroke and bike with 150mm travel 

ratio is 3 

9 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

It's 110 mm 29er and 120mm 650b

And you can never use all the travel unless the Shock is PAP

Specs

Rear ShockFox Float DPS Factory, 190x50.8mm, EVOL/Kashima Coating

Wait what?

If you're NOT using all your travel your setup is wrong.

If you can't bottom your travel out then you need to fix something. 

2 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Divide your shock stroke by the bike travel

Ie. 50mm shock stroke and bike with 150mm travel 

ratio is 3 

In simple terms, that means that for every 1mm you increase the shock stroke, you wil gain 3mm more rear travel.

7 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Wait what?

If you're NOT using all your travel your setup is wrong.

If you can't bottom your travel out then you need to fix something. 

Nice jokes😂

measure suspension travel in a work stand. Deflate the shock, take a tape measure and hold it next the the rear wheel axle. Lift the wheel till the shock reaches its bump stop . What point on the tape measure does the axle stop?

100mm? Then 100mm travel.

divide that number by the shock stroke length and you have leverage ratio.

you shouldn’t bottom out your shock ever unless you got some thing horribly wrong. Using the bull stops is not desirable 

10 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Nice jokes😂

measure suspension travel in a work stand. Deflate the shock, take a tape measure and hold it next the the rear wheel axle. Lift the wheel till the shock reaches its bump stop . What point on the tape measure does the axle stop?

you shouldn’t bottom out your shock ever unless you got some thing horribly wrong. Using the bull stops is not desirable 

Thanks for this advice I Will try and do so now to see howmuch rear travel the the shock realistically has. 

I didn't bottom the shock out I bought the bike under the impression that it has 120mm travel but now I want to see if it is true and was asking how to do so and if the Frame can compensate for more travel or not 

28 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Nice jokes😂

https://bikerumor.com/suspension-setup-series-6-how-often-should-i-bottom-out/#:~:text=“You should bottom out a,braking holes entering a turn.

https://mtbfunplanet.com/bottom-out-a-mountain-bike-suspension-is-it-bad/

Some of these pro's would disagree with you. 

Edited by Jewbacca