Garmin announces Edge 1040 with solar charging

News bot

2 hours ago, madmarc said:

No - But i'm comparing what i would pay in Germany as to here in SA out of interest

German VAT is included @ 19% so in ZA this would be 4% cheaper

I stand to be corrected but GPS devices fall under 8517.62 tariff heading which is 0%

My ROE is a bit heavy as i could today buy Euro for 16.41 making it even a bit cheaper.

I would rather pay a bit more and have a local supplier to go back to in case of issues or for accessories etc. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, BigDL said:

I would rather pay a bit more and have a local supplier to go back to in case of issues or for accessories etc. 

His point is that in Germany you pay 750 Euro for it (R12750). In Germany you have 19% VAT.

Here you pay R14999 for it and that includes 15% VAT.

So Cost in Germany, before VAT is R10714. Base Cost in SA before VAT is R13043.

So that is a difference of R2329. So Somewhere there is a R2329 markup being added in SA. Some of it can be shipping, but seeing as its bulk coming in, that would be maybe be R150 per unit.

So why do South Africans pay 21.7% more than Germans for the same product. We even earn less than Germans, on ave?

2 hours ago, EasyBike said:

Hi Madmarc

You also have to remember that once the item arrives in South Africa you will pay 15% Vat on top of the R12750. This will work out at R14662.5.

If you are interested in the unit drop us an email and we can discuss this further. 

sales@easybike.co.za

Regards
easyBike

I'm comparing an online retail purchase in Germany against an online retail purchase in SA. I'm not comparing the price between importing a unit from Germany and what i would pay in SA.

Besides, if I imported it from Germany (which i cannot) the German VAT would be zero rated as it is an export then the calculation starts @ R 10 715.00. So your VAT argument is mute.

Somewhere from OEM -> Importer -> retailer there is an additional margin being made when comparing the retail pricing at current ROE and incl VAT of various countries.

What is a bit pleasing is that with Garmin this difference isn't that big = approx 15%

with SRAM its as high as 45%

1 hour ago, JA-Q001 said:

His point is that in Germany you pay 750 Euro for it (R12750). In Germany you have 19% VAT.

Here you pay R14999 for it and that includes 15% VAT.

So Cost in Germany, before VAT is R10714. Base Cost in SA before VAT is R13043.

So that is a difference of R2329. So Somewhere there is a R2329 markup being added in SA. Some of it can be shipping, but seeing as its bulk coming in, that would be maybe be R150 per unit.

So why do South Africans pay 21.7% more than Germans for the same product. We even earn less than Germans, on ave?

I don't buy the shipping cost argument either - They made in Taiwan so shipping should be the same Taiwan to Germany vs Taiwan to ZA

What i do suspect is that the local importer is probably supplied from Europe - so Shipping from Taiwan -> Europe -> ZA. But even then it would never equate to 15% on the value

It could be an order quantity issue.

the distribution centres work on different discount structures depending on order quantity. This will be impacted by size of market an market share in the destination country.

Then there is also the fact that online stores in Europe have access to OEM pricing so they purchase bulk and sell direct. SA online is essentially straight retail + online functionality overheads

17 hours ago, EasyBike said:

Hi Madmarc

You also have to remember that once the item arrives in South Africa you will pay 15% Vat on top of the R12750. This will work out at R14662.5.

If you are interested in the unit drop us an email and we can discuss this further. 

sales@easybike.co.za

Regards
easyBike

Have you received stock on the FR955/955 SOLAR?

3 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

Have you received stock on the FR955/955 SOLAR?

Not yet.

We do have on backorder and they are expected in soon.

If you would like to go on the waiting list please send through an email to sales@easybike.co.za. We can also provide pricing.

Regards
easyBike

13 hours ago, Mamil said:

15k is also a kickr indoor trainer.

Or a ticket to Mallorca and bike rental.

Or 25 percent of next year's varsity fees for one offspring.

Mmmmmm. Mallorca.

Sa Calobra. What a road.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

1 hour ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Mmmmmm. Mallorca.

Sa Calobra. What a road.

Next year. It's happening

19 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Next year. It's happening

If you want my (limited) insights I'm happy to help. I'm not done with Mallorca. Next time Camper Van though.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

1 hour ago, Duane_Bosch said:

If you want my (limited) insights I'm happy to help. I'm not done with Mallorca. Next time Camper Van though.

Will def pick your brain