Best Road Bike Power Meter

cathmtb

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

He doesn’t seem impressed with the 4iiii’s…

That's the new gen. The previous gen (what the SA rep has in stock) is better. I bought it as a temporary solution waiting to go to france to buy a quarq crank but it has become a permanent solution since I can't justify spending 3 times the price to upgrade it.

6 hours ago, Jbr said:

if it's road bikes and only transferable to a new roadbike, I would go 4iiii or stages left crank any day. Don't buy the last gen 4iiii (I don't think it's available in SA anyways) as the old one seems to be much more reliable, that's what I have at the moment, I had a quarq before and numbers are surprisingly VERY consistent with what I was producing on the Quarq.

also it is cheap if you buy new. Stages you can find 2nd hand ones here, but make sure 1st that the zeroing offset value is within the 790-990 range, otherwise your numbers will be inconsistent (my MTB stages calibrates at 740/750 and on long rides it's okay but on short explosive efforts it gives me cavendish-esque numbers)

4iii every day of the week.

Stages never again. Stages secondhand not even in the next life due to pisspoor support. 

3 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

Following this thread with interest as I was thinking of getting the 4iiii left crank to beef up my dumb-trainer setup. I have Dura Ace 7800 on my roadbike on the trainer and I was wondering if it’s best to get a new crank as they seem to be having a sale, or is it an option to send my existing crank in to have the module fitted? My wheel-on trainer setup consists of a cadence and speed sensor along with the HR monitor. This is great for zone 2 workouts but doing HIIT sessions it’s not very accurate without a PM. 

Thoughts?

Why are you the way you are? 😋

Save that groupset for a vintage build.

35 minutes ago, jcza said:

4iii every day of the week.

Stages never again. Stages secondhand not even in the next life due to pisspoor support. 

I bought a new one for 7,5 at a time when they were very scarce. The one I got wasn't working, they replaced it under warranty but it took over a month, in the meantime I found one on the hub for 3k that I started using.

When I eventually received the new one I sold it on the hub still sealed for the price I paid for it since it was impossible to find one locally, with the original invoice and kept using the 2nd one.

A few days later the one on my bike stopped giving a good calibration offset, I found out later on that it was rubbing on my rear brake hose and that overtime it started digging into the crank arm... It still works but I don't trust the numbers too much now. Nothing I can blame stages or the prev owner for though... probably more my mechanic or myself for not seeing that my rear brake hose was rubbing..

Edited by Jbr

I only needed to warranty one Power meter and 2 seperate Stages Dash computers for different reasons.

The PM was my own  and it developed the dreaded battery drin issue and was replaced under warranty one month out of warranty. Neither Omnico or Stages pushed back even a little.

The one Dash had a software glitch and t was replaced.

The other Dash froze up during CTCT and was also warrantied no problem and STages were keen to get it back to understand why it had leaked.

I've never had a warranty issue with Omnico or Stages

I'm on my second stages unit. It recently starting dropping out. I took it to Omnico who then asked for some files as proof.

Files provided only to receive feedback that the zeros are happening when I'm not moving. 

Yes that was the actual feedback despite provide data supporting the fact that it was happening whilst pedalling. LOL

I have it back and will monitor

The international guys are very helpful though.

4 hours ago, Jakkals. said:

It is on a “vintage” swift carbon already, love the bike! 😀

D3759A65-FD5D-4EAA-BFCF-5B47B55155EC.jpeg

4iii deal currently on is worth a look - use the code JUNE2022 at checkout for a 20% discount.

The Ultegra 172.5mm left arm works out to R5600 - brand new - that's not an easy price to beat. GEN2 Ultegra and Dura-Ace cranks are running low on stock though, so no 175mm.

Ive used the 4iii for a couple of years, super consistent. Im keen to give pedal based power a try now - ive just got too many bikes to buy crank based power meter solutions for ...

5 hours ago, Jakkals. said:

I have a silver DA-7800 and a black 105 4iiii on my indoor setup. When I do ride it outside, no says anything, except "I haven't seen you on that bike for a while".

3 hours ago, mrJohan said:

Iam also buying my first power meter. The only one i can find for Shimano 170 is a 4iii. Are they good?

You'll be fine. 

My Garmin is reading the 4iiii.
My Lezyne is reading the Kickr Core.

3W difference at the time of the photo.

3s Power 200/203
Cadence 90/90

B564C783-4DAD-453A-8B8E-7FCBF8B1A50E.jpeg.79d7e412b193e3b54bfb3bfa1b5cff69.jpeg

For the OCD/OCTs out there:
Ignore the power zone (5.0) on the Garmin; this was a L2 power workout last night.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I have a silver DA-7800 and a black 105 4iiii on my indoor setup. When I do ride it outside, no says anything, except "I haven't seen you on that bike for a while".

well that's the thing, I'll be in the same boat if I get the 4iiii, but lets face it, as a weekend warrior training for a marathon bike ride I don't NEED a powermeter but it would make structured training a hell of a lot more accurate and it is FAR cheaper than buying a smart trainer. I only ride the dumb trainer when I cannot ride outside, and then I alternate between z2 rides and HIIT sessions. Dumb trainers are perfect for z2 sessions in my opinion and for marathon events I need a very solid base. Stick it in a gear, hit 65% max. HR and just keep the cranks turning. It's boring as hell yes, but it's great mental training on top of z2 gains. If I cannot sit in z2 on the IDT for 90mins, how the hell can I expect to deal with a marathon event? Well, that's my approach anyways. Even when I ride outside I tend to ride alone because I cannot deal with group issues.

6000 randelas is sounding more and more like a bargain...