Handle bar grips for crutches (Handy Tip)

Many of us have had accidents and ended  up using crutches . In most cases after use they get put into a cupboard for the next time ( hopefully not ) or passed onto family or friends that may need them. The grips that are on these crutches are made of cheap rubber or foam and will be perished or dry when you pass them on . I enquired about buying grips from the pharmacies and orthopedic suppliers and was told , bring in the one you have so that we can match the grips and ORDER for you or in some cases i was told you cant get replacements , buy a new pair of crutches . I had just bought a new pair of Titan Silicon grips . The crutch handles are a slightly thicker  than MTB bars so a bit more effort is required to get them on . You can use aerosol deodorant, silicon spray or dishwashing liquid on the inside of the grips to ease them on . I know these grips will be on these crutches for many years a usable again by the next person . These are crutches my wife use 8 years ago and now is having a knee replacement and needs them again . 

IMG_4963.jpg

IMG_4964.jpg

IMG_4967.jpg

Kief! Having gone through a gamut of crutches in our family, we've ended up putting road bike grip tape on crutches. You can build it up for larger hands or heavier upper bodies. 

But this is a much neater solution. Will keep it in mind. 

nicely done,

I've also used road bike bar tape on the plastic handles of my daughters school suitcases, They have those horrible plastic Cadi box school cases, the carry handle has square edges so it was hurting their hands.

Will try and take a pic when I get home later.

Great idea. A couple of years ago, I did a similar thing using hockey club (stick?) handle wrap. It worked great. Next time I will use handlebar tape for additional speed and aerodynamics.

2 hours ago, Fork-it said:

Next time I will use handlebar tape for additional speed and aerodynamics.

Handlebar tape was my preferred option.

Also worked great on the little one's pram when racing. 🤣

Edited by Thomo

5 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Handlebar tape was my preferred option.

Also worked great on the little one's pram when racing. 🤣

I'm using some on my lawnmower too. :)