Best Gravel bike sub R40k

Dom N

"Best" and "Gravel" are pretty subjective. The bike that's best at being a mountainbike but a smidge more fun to get to and back from trails on the road is pretty different than one that's best at racing smooth, easy gravel roads.

Some more context would be good.

@TyronLab

2 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

"Best" and "Gravel" are pretty subjective. The bike that's best at being a mountainbike but a smidge more fun to get to and back from trails on the road is pretty different than one that's best at racing smooth, easy gravel roads.

Some more context would be good.

I'm looking for something that's well rounded - 700c 38mm + tyres. But, other than that, I'm happy to hear about all the options. Sub 40K for a gravel bike is going to be pretty specific. 

A second hand Giant Revolt Advanced 2 would fit the bill nicely. 43c clearance, a nice carbon frame with a 105 drivetrain. Versatile enough to do anything from road rides to singletrack. They crop up in the classifieds from time to time. 

3 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

my Cannondale SuperX with money left over for upgrades

You've been sukkeling to get that thing sold for a bit now, which is a shame as it looks like fun bike.

11 minutes ago, Itsadomslife said:

@TyronLab

I'm looking for something that's well rounded - 700c 38mm + tyres. But, other than that, I'm happy to hear about all the options. Sub 40K for a gravel bike is going to be pretty specific. 

That's still closer to the racer end of the spectrum. The overwhelming majority of gravel bikes will have at the very least 40mm tyre clearance. Once you start looking for 45mm+ with reasonable clearance the options shrink down considerably and become dirt-drop MTBs.

I've been on both ends of the spectrum, and if you won't be using it as a mountain bike the Titan Switch Pro was a phenomenal steed. It was responsive, agile, fast as hell, and surprisingly comfortable. I'd strongly suggest sticking to a bike (or factoring in the upgrade cost) with a gravel/mtb specific derailleur. The cassette options and, more importantly, clutch will make a big difference to your off-roading jaunts. 

Here was mine. With the change to a NW 1x chainring, the gravel derailleur, and shorter stem to shorten the reach a smidge it was a great racer-y bike. I still miss it sometimes.

image.png.60c407bda56a66127b6607ba1509d23b.png

2 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

You've been sukkeling to get that thing sold for a bit now, which is a shame as it looks like fun bike.

Mostly because I am quite apprehensive about selling it actually... It needs a good home. Such a lekker bike. 

54 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

That's still closer to the racer end of the spectrum. The overwhelming majority of gravel bikes will have at the very least 40mm tyre clearance. Once you start looking for 45mm+ with reasonable clearance the options shrink down considerably and become dirt-drop MTBs.

I've been on both ends of the spectrum, and if you won't be using it as a mountain bike the Titan Switch Pro was a phenomenal steed. It was responsive, agile, fast as hell, and surprisingly comfortable. I'd strongly suggest sticking to a bike (or factoring in the upgrade cost) with a gravel/mtb specific derailleur. The cassette options and, more importantly, clutch will make a big difference to your off-roading jaunts. 

Here was mine. With the change to a NW 1x chainring, the gravel derailleur, and shorter stem to shorten the reach a smidge it was a great racer-y bike. I still miss it sometimes.

image.png.60c407bda56a66127b6607ba1509d23b.png

Super informative, thanks for this! 

2 hours ago, Schnavel said:

Either a Titan or Giant would give you good value, assuming you are considering new:

Titan Racing - Switch Elite - 2021 (mellowvelo.co.za)

Otherwise, there are some good second hand deals around on BikeHub (frame size dependant):

Niner BSB 9 RDO - Carbon, Negotiable | Bike Hub

Of those two, I would go for the Titan if they have your size.

That Niner is more of a Cyclocross bike with race geometry and limited tyre clearance.

If you're planning on doing some proper South African dirt roads, I'd suggest taking a test spin on the bike if possible. There are significant differences in comfort between various frames / seatposts / tyres etc

I would definitely look for something with larger tyre clearance (45mm+) as it's a good option to have.

1x and 2x both have advantages - if you're planning to tour with a loaded bike then 2x is awesome and shouldn't be discounted, even if you're used to 1x.  

Ultimately, don't treat a gravel bike as something that is set in stone - I'm continually tweaking both of mine. My Fairlight runs 38c slicks and 43c knobblies, and my Lauf swaps between more and less aggressive tyres and 42 and 38 tooth chainrings depending on what is coming up.  

4 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

Mostly because I am quite apprehensive about selling it actually... It needs a good home. Such a lekker bike. 

Been eyeing that steed for a long long time. If there were the greenbacks we’d be rehomeing that with the best diet of Polish, dust and lube ever.

13 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

First and foremost, what kind gravel riding are you leaning toward?

Looking for something that will handle Race to Sea and the The Cedar, but also suitable for some S24O bikepacking trips. Ideally, looking for a Swiss army knife of a gravel bike...