Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

Hi all. 

Also in the market for a load shedding solution. My initial idea is to have a 5 -8kw hybrid system installed just to run the house during load shedding. My prepaid is about R2000 - R2500 a month, so my thinking was putting down a good deposit and paying of the system through financing, then what ever I save will the be my monthly instalment? I dont need a huge system, just enough to cut my eskom cost and use it as a payment.

i will still need to be on the grid as I have a geyser and borehole, but Im fine with that. 

Any suggestions? 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, 117 said:

You wont save a cent if you dont run lithium batteries and solar

Its a bit of a chicken and egg situation 

Yea, though so. These are some of the entry level deals from one of our local guys. The 70k deal will be a bit of a push for me but that looks good?

May be an image of text that says 'TINKO INKO POWER 5KW BACKUP SYSTEM ·5KW Hybrid Inverter .1x .12KWHL- Battery AC Protection Boxes Cables, Trunking, Brackets Material & Installation Included R 49 000 excl. R 67 excl. 5KW HYBRID SYSTEM 5KW Hybrid Inverter• 5.12KWH L-ION Battery. 4x455W Solar Panels Panel Mounting Kit DC Protection Boxes Cables, Trunking, Brackets, Material & Installation Included 5KW HYBRID SYSTEM 5KW Hybrid Inverter 12KWH L-ION Battery 8x455W Solar Panels •Panel Mounting Kit .AC- DC Protection Boxes Cables, Trunking, Brackets, Material & Installation Included R 80000 excl. Can be changed to clients needs COC optional LIKE US ON f'

42 minutes ago, 117 said:

I saved a lot while still on lead acid batteries.  You save in the day from the solar panels but at night you can not withdraw from the lead acids every single day, hence at night you using mostly Escom.

Summary of how my usage came down on average per day:

1. 19 kWhr (Before any solar or batteries)

2. 9.8 kWhr (Solar panels + 5kW Inverter + Pb Batteries)

3. 6.9 kWhr (Added PV panels & dual element on the geyser)

4. 5.3 kWhr (Change setting on inverter to only charge batteries using solar)

5. 0.5 kWhr (Added 2 x 3.6 kWhr LiFePO4 batteries and withdraw from them every night)

Obviously every ones usage is diiferent but this is how it worked out for me.  Each of those averages are over a minimum period of 3 weeks and longer.

Edited by TheoG

Just now, Bomberman said:

Yea, though so. These are some of the entry level deals from one of our local guys. The 70k deal will be a bit of a push for me but that looks good?

May be an image of text that says 'TINKO INKO POWER 5KW BACKUP SYSTEM ·5KW Hybrid Inverter .1x .12KWHL- Battery AC Protection Boxes Cables, Trunking, Brackets Material & Installation Included R 49 000 excl. R 67 excl. 5KW HYBRID SYSTEM 5KW Hybrid Inverter• 5.12KWH L-ION Battery. 4x455W Solar Panels Panel Mounting Kit DC Protection Boxes Cables, Trunking, Brackets, Material & Installation Included 5KW HYBRID SYSTEM 5KW Hybrid Inverter 12KWH L-ION Battery 8x455W Solar Panels •Panel Mounting Kit .AC- DC Protection Boxes Cables, Trunking, Brackets, Material & Installation Included R 80000 excl. Can be changed to clients needs COC optional LIKE US ON f'

All 3 these are pretty decent deals !

1 minute ago, TheoG said:

I saved a lot while still on lead acid batteries.  You save in the day from the solar panels but at night you can not withdraw from the lead acids every single day, hence at night you using mostly Escom.

Summary of how my usage came down on average per day:

1. 19 kWhr (Before any solar or batteries)

2. 9.8 kWhr (Solar panels + 5kW Inverter + PB Batteries)

3. 6.9 kWhr (Added PV panels & dual element on the geyser)

4. 5.3 kWhr (Change setting on inverter to only charge batteries using solar)

5. 0.5 kWhr (Added 2 x 3.6 kWhr LiFePO4 batteries and withdraw from them every night)

Obviously every ones usage is diiferent but this is how it worked out for me.  Each of those averages is over a minimum period of 3 weeks and longer.

Agreed - the key is the solar panels 

52 minutes ago, Bomberman said:

Prices are very good .... almost too good ....

Wiring into your DB ?

Splitting home DB for essential and non essential ?

COC ?

What does the fine print say about cable lengths ?

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Wiring into your DB ?

COC ?

My house is already wired for my genny, so basically just going plug into the wiring that's done. Yes it all split, current setup allows for all my lights, and  most of my plugs to work. Have a gas stove so no issues with cooking.  

He's price includes installation, but will have to do the COC separately.

1 hour ago, 117 said:

I started some 8 years ago.  Technology and affordability has changed a LOT in this time !!!

Back then a "battery box" was the only affordable option for loadshedding.

ZERO saving in that.

Being sorted for loadshedding we opted for a different route with pv ....

Enphase.

With this system each panel gets a micro inverter.  Thus 220V directly from the roof to the DB.

No batteries ....

We are heading for a 50% annual saving on eskom account.

Our stats are influenced by:

. Solar geyser

. Gas stove.

. Pool pump upping solar harvesting to the max

. Our base load IS skewed to night time as we work ....  this system favours high day usage.

Our average eskom usage is 3 to 5kW.h per day ... not worth it to rewire the house (very difficult layout, ie expensive rewire) and the costs of batteries.

If I had to do it over ...

1. REWIRE !!!

2. include geyser and pool pump to system, with optimal timing ...

3. Sonoff type automation for remote control ( this really helps !!)

4. 7kW inverter ... baseload is only 2kW, but printers, microwave and the like needs the buffer ...

5. 5kW.h battery seems fine .... but might be tempted for more .... scope creep is real ...

6. For 10kW.h per day I would aim for 3kW pv panels.... seems like overkill, but long clowdy days are very real in the Western Cape ....

8 minutes ago, Bomberman said:

My house is already wired for my genny, so basically just going plug into the wiring that's done. Yes it all split, current setup allows for all my lights, and  most of my plugs to work. Have a gas stove so no issues with cooking.  

He's price includes installation, but will have to do the COC separately.

That helps 👍👍

21 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Wiring into your DB ?

COC ?

That does seem extremely cheap. 

Just my inverter and 2 x 5.5kw batteries set my back R115k. Already had the panels installed. 
This did include a lot of wiring but still. 

Make sure he uses quality components. Not some off brand chinese junk that promise 5kw battery storage but can only deliver 2kw.

I havent checked whatas available. I just have an idea of what I want to do. The only other stuff I want to ad is the fridge and freezer.

Lights are sorted and have been since loadshedding started. Believe it or not, I still use the same 120ah battery to run 12v 10 watt lights, anywhere from 2 to 4 depending how much we need. I want to put that on a solar panel as well.

3 hours ago, Bomberman said:

Hi all. 

Also in the market for a load shedding solution. My initial idea is to have a 5 -8kw hybrid system installed just to run the house during load shedding. My prepaid is about R2000 - R2500 a month, so my thinking was putting down a good deposit and paying of the system through financing, then what ever I save will the be my monthly instalment? I dont need a huge system, just enough to cut my eskom cost and use it as a payment.

i will still need to be on the grid as I have a geyser and borehole, but Im fine with that. 

Any suggestions? 

What is your monthly consumption of power (kWh, or units)?

Where are you based?

16 hours ago, Bomberman said:

These deals seems very very cheap. I was charged around R72k just for a 8kva inverter and 5kw battery and installation. 5 kva inverter and battery combo around R62k. (Sunsynk inverter and bluenova battery). No panels included. As mentioned, double check the quote for components used and check the fine print of what is included.

16 hours ago, Bomberman said:

Hi all. 

Any suggestions? 

My 2c,

If you have a normal single phase borehole and not something OTT like a 3 phase pump with a 200m head then get solar borehole pump setup. It is much cheaper to have more water stored for at night or if there are a few cloudy days in a row than to power up borehole pump everytime the tank level drops 10cm. My folks have this set up on 2 boreholes, means they never run out of water for animals when loadshedding or power cuts hit. Our borehole is a small pump that was factored into the solar installation, we are also putting it on a smart switch to only allow it to run during the day.

Gas geyser- 3k for the geyser, and then R2k for the gas bottle. You will see a big drop in power usage.

You will see a far quicker return on investment with these 2 things at a far lower price entry point. It will also mean that when you go to a backup power setup, you will get away with a 5kw and solar panels instead of forking out for an 8kw.