Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

Just now, Frosty said:

I have a 5kW Sunsynk.

It can handle double the load for about 30-seconds before it will trip.

However, when the grid is connected, there is a pass-through function that allows up to 7.5kW without tripping. The energy meter I have sounds when the power is at 5kW or greater, and the household knows something needs to be switched off. It took a while to get everyone used to it, but now it’s habit… check what’s running and switch off where necessary.

What energy meter is this?  I think I need to get one of those :) .

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, dave303e said:

awesome, just a quick one. I take it they will bolt the invertor onto the ply and then attach the ply to the blocking/wall or that you will put T-nuts in the ply. Ours is also mounted on ply and battery and inverter were bolted in with 10mm bolts through the ply with a nut and washer on the back. Also check the installer brings the bolts, ours rocked up with standard expansion bolts but luckily I had normal bolts and big washers for the back side. 

Yeah, today is an at home day so I can keep an eye. Those blocks are bolted with 8mm stainless bolts, I will make sure they either use either T nuts or bolts for inverter etc onto the ply then use some BFO screws from ply to blocks.  

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I have a 5kW Sunsynk.

It can handle double the load for about 30-seconds before it will trip.

However, when the grid is connected, there is a pass-through function that allows up to 7.5kW without tripping. The energy meter I have sounds when the power is at 5kW or greater, and the household knows something needs to be switched off. It took a while to get everyone used to it, but now it’s habit… check what’s running and switch off where necessary.

Yes, my installer told me about the pass through function when connected to grid. What is your energy meter?

The beauty with a cavity and ply is that they an really do it neatly and they can work really fast just screwing conduits into the ply etc.

This was just as they finished, hence the mess on the floor before they even had time to clean up.
20221209_080905.jpg.f9f0fe40ba59920ed6d41cab519cb798.jpg

6 minutes ago, dave303e said:

The beauty with a cavity and ply is that they an really do it neatly and they can work really fast just screwing conduits into the ply etc.

This was just as they finished, hence the mess on the floor before they even had time to clean up.
20221209_080905.jpg.f9f0fe40ba59920ed6d41cab519cb798.jpg

Going to show them I want it like dis one.

32 minutes ago, Frosty said:

The energy meter I have sounds when the power is at 5kW or greater, and the household knows something needs to be switched off. It took a while to get everyone used to it, but now it’s habit… check what’s running and switch off where necessary.

This thing should be standard on any inverter install.

Please share the details of this meter will make life so much easier I think.

2 hours ago, TheoG said:

What energy meter is this?  I think I need to get one of those :) .

2 hours ago, Pure Savage said:

Yes, my installer told me about the pass through function when connected to grid. What is your energy meter?

1 hour ago, -cK- said:

This thing should be standard on any inverter install.

Please share the details of this meter will make life so much easier I think.

Ellies sell this unit. Was given to me by my initial installer. It’s not 100% accurate, but close enough to warn the family.

image.jpeg.d53fe6ccf24ae888d98422ae6803c1b7.jpeg

Install complete on Friday and away we go! The relief of not having to look at that Eskom se push app is amazing. 

Took the advice from here and got it setup 100% like wanted.

1521411303_WhatsAppImage2023-01-30at8_44_53AM.jpeg.8ee1f18adfbdcf9b4a7e5c01eb695e8b.jpeg

First day of full use was a good test as Cape Town had rain and cloud cover all day, we still got batteries to 100%, heated the extra geyser and cooked on the stove. We only got down to 30% battery after that (10.6kwh 100%).

1432948767_WhatsAppImage2023-01-27at3_43_39PM.jpeg.60f551949c1796a81afe45d880e7547f.jpeg

Yesterday first full day in the sun, carrying on as normal was perfect. After dinner etc this morning we were on 55%. So looking good for winter :)

11 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Install complete on Friday and away we go! The relief of not having to look at that Eskom se push app is amazing. 

Took the advice from here and got it setup 100% like wanted.

1521411303_WhatsAppImage2023-01-30at8_44_53AM.jpeg.8ee1f18adfbdcf9b4a7e5c01eb695e8b.jpeg

First day of full use was a good test as Cape Town had rain and cloud cover all day, we still got batteries to 100%, heated the extra geyser and cooked on the stove. We only got down to 30% battery after that (10.6kwh 100%).

1432948767_WhatsAppImage2023-01-27at3_43_39PM.jpeg.60f551949c1796a81afe45d880e7547f.jpeg

Yesterday first full day in the sun, carrying on as normal was perfect. After dinner etc this morning we were on 55%. So looking good for winter :)

Awesome, enjoy !  I also don't regret it for second, despite the big bill :).

Edit:  What's the size of those 2 batteries?

Edited by TheoG

10 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Awesome, enjoy !  I also don't regret it for second, despite the big bill :).

Edit:  What's the size of those 2 batteries?

Those are 2 of the new 5.3kwh batteries, so a total of 10,6kw/h with 5Kw/h inverter and 3.68kw/h of panels. 

The best part is walking past your pre paid meter seeing it on the same amount of units as the night before...

2 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Those are 2 of the new 5.3kwh batteries, so a total of 10,6kw/h with 5Kw/h inverter and 3.68kw/h of panels. 

The best part is walking past your pre paid meter seeing it on the same amount of units as the night before...

Just different brands but my setup is very similar:

• 5kW Lux-Power
  • 3 x 3.6 = 10.8 kWh  Mecer (Dyness) batteries
  • 8 x 455 = 3640 W PV panels
  • 2 x 455 panels dedicated on my geyser

Working like a charm .... 🤪

Edited by TheoG

6 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Just different brands but my setup is very similar:

• 5kW Lux-Power
  • 3 x 3.6 = 10.8 kWh  Mecer (Dyness) batteries
  • 8 x 455 = 3640 W PV panels
  • 2 x 455 panels dedicated on my geyser

Working like a charm .... 🤪

Almost identical :) We installed that solar geyser with a collector tank in December to just reduce the total load on the system so can eek it out a little longer. Still have the tenants geyser which we have put on a wifi switch that works like a charm.

55 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Can't wait for my second battery to get installed best I can manage with current config is down to 3-4 per day, best day was 1 unit though 😁.

58 minutes ago, -cK- said:

Can't wait for my second battery to get installed best I can manage with current config is down to 3-4 per day, best day was 1 unit though 😁.

I would love to have enough batteries to store all the sun I can catch on a max sun day in summer.  I calculated for me that would be about 24 KWh.  Unfortunately that would mean spending a lot extra 🙈.

imho, you can never have too much battery storage, you never know when you will be hit by more than 3 rainy days in a row and also long power outages.  Normal load-shed is a non-issue for me, but our failing infrastructure in Alberton is a major issue.

Edited by TheoG