Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

On 8/27/2023 at 2:17 PM, splat said:

Thanks for the tips and advice

I ended up getting a Dewhot 20l (Fan Forced) outdoor unit with 2 x 48kg bottles that also feed the gas hob. This unit has a remote control unit, so we don't have to go outside to adjust anything.

While waiting for quotes, the existing P.O.S. solar geyser contraption started spraying water all over the place. Luckily, its external so no drama. So, I had that removed.
So glad that is gone!

image.png.f975da46b3b5675209684817b9de817f.png

You will be happy with that unit. I Have the same one and it works excellent. I Have a solar geyser on my roof but there are some issues for it to be at it's most effective. First is it's location. I Had limited space available on the roof so it's not facing the ideal direction to get maximum sun exposure all day. Second is the climate where I live. I Stay in Middelburg Tranvaal and in the winter months we regularly get sub zero temperatures. So in the summer months it works reasonable good but in winter time I suffer with insufficient hot water. The solar geyser on top feeds into the gas unit and into the house. I Also installed a solar bypass valve. It's thermostat is set at +-45 degrees. So if the water coming down is 45 or above it goes straight into the house, If it's below 45 it goes into the gas geyser to be heated and then into the house. My setup also use two 48kg LPG cylinders. My in-laws was staying with me for a couple of months and with 5 adults and 1 child in the house  a 48kg LPG lasted me 11 weeks. Currently we are 3 adults and 1 child in the house, we are on 12 weeks and still going an a 48kg.

dewhotgeyser.jpeg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, johnson said:

Also installed a solar bypass valve. It's thermostat is set at +-45 degrees. So if the water coming down is 45 or above it goes straight into the house, If it's below 45 it goes into the gas geyser to be heated and then into the house.

That’s exactly what I’m looking to do with my setup. The geyser was replaced with a size bigger than the solar tubes. It works fine in summer, but it’s the rainy days and middle of winter that needs a boost.

In an effort to fine tune my geyser power usage I purchased a SONOFF POW. The idea is to monitor the usage on the current on/off schedule for a week, then run the geyser on full time for a week and compare. From there to fine tune it.

Installed the unit on Friday, only to discover I bought the 16A version, so as soon as the geyser kicked in the unit would turn off due to overload.

Had to go out and buy the bigger version.

But I've wired the 16A one onto a 3 pin plug and have been using it to check the power usage of the bigger appliances in the house.

My geyser is a 200l and from the power usage it appears to have a 4kw element.

Will report back with my findings.

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

In an effort to fine tune my geyser power usage I purchased a SONOFF POW. The idea is to monitor the usage on the current on/off schedule for a week, then run the geyser on full time for a week and compare. From there to fine tune it.

Installed the unit on Friday, only to discover I bought the 16A version, so as soon as the geyser kicked in the unit would turn off due to overload.

But I've wired the 16A one onto a 3 pin plug and have been using it to check the power usage of the bigger appliances in the house.

Those Sonoff gadgets are clever!
I use one with a timer to turn my coffee machine on and off.

6 minutes ago, splat said:

Those Sonoff gadgets are clever!
I use one with a timer to turn my coffee machine on and off.

I've got a few of them scattered around the house, coupled with a google speaker for when I'm to lazy to open the app or want to turn something on/off outside of scheduled times.

If I wasnt so poor I'd have them on every switch / outlet in the house.

2 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I've got a few of them scattered around the house, coupled with a google speaker for when I'm to lazy to open the app or want to turn something on/off outside of scheduled times.

If I wasnt so poor I'd have them on every switch / outlet in the house.

Brilliant setup, we've also got the same.

"Hey Google, driveway lights on"

"Hey google, Open Gate"

eWelink App takes too long to load, so voice commands are a game changer

2 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Brilliant setup, we've also got the same.

"Hey Google, driveway lights on"

"Hey google, Open Gate"

eWelink App takes too long to load, so voice commands are a game changer

I've actually got iOS shortcuts on my phone for some things.

For instance I have a scene to turn on all the lights in the back yard. I use this when I come home in the dark or if I hear something outside. Quick and easy to swipe right on the phone and hit the "Backyard On" button.

Load shedding really became a problem at my workshop. Years ago when load shedding started I built a 63kva generator. Works like a charm and everything goes on as usual. Fast forward a decade or so and it's become a nightmare running it for 2 to 6 hours a day with the last couple of year's diesel price. I Started using it less and less but that meant loss of income and, and , and........ all the rest of the problems I'm sure everybody knows. So same as at my house I sat down and started doing the math. The estimated saving on the power bill and diesel costs together with no down time in production looked good. So I decided to invest a small fortune in a solar setup. I Already knew the right guy for the installation so that was the easy part. The installation consists of 3 16kw inverters, each one running a phase. A 40kwh lithium battery and 72 545w solar panels. It's been in use for three months now and I haven't regretted it for one second. The panels give me close to 40kw of PV on most good weather days. That is enough to power the workshop and have the battery fully charged by mid day. My diesel supplier is not happy at all and neither my municipality.      

solarw1.jpeg

solarw2.jpeg

solarw3.jpeg

43 minutes ago, johnson said:

It's been in use for three months now and I haven't regretted it for one second.

Well done!

Almost everyone I have been in contact with, that has installed a “system”, has said the same thing, me included.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2023 at 8:43 AM, The Ouzo said:

right, so some interesting feedback after 2 weeks of use.

For the first week I ran the geyser on my normal schedule, as follows

Weekdays

On 04:00 - 07:30

On 16:00 - 19:00

Weekends

Saturday

06:00 - 08:00

16:00 - 20:00

Sundays

06:00 - 09:00

16:00 - 19:00

The average usage per day during this period was 17.46Kw

I then turned off the schedules for a week, the average usage over that week was 19.12 Kw

The only thing that might have influenced the second week was Stage 6 loadshedding with long hours of no power, but looking at the graphs of what the usage did, the geyser did not turn on when the power came back, i.e. the water was warm enough that it did not need to heat up.

From this morning I've tweaked the schedules slightly, I think I can save around 1.5 - 2 Kw per day.

What this has left me with is a need to investigate where the rest of the 10 - 13 Kw per day is going.

Next up I'm going to log the pool motor, its should be using 1Kw/h, only running for 3 hours a day. But I'd like to make sure.

My Dishwasher uses 1 Kw for a cycle on Auto. The Toploader washing machine is rather efficient only using 0.35Kw per cycle. Gas oven/stove combo, but the airfryer is power hungry.

2 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Weekdays

Weekends

Saturday

Sundays

I then turned off the schedules for a week, the average usage over that week was 19.12 Kw

The only thing that might have influenced the second week was Stage 6 loadshedding with long hours of no power, but looking at the graphs of what the usage did, the geyser did not turn on when the power came back, i.e. the water was warm enough that it did not need to heat up.

From this morning I've tweaked the schedules slightly, I think I can save around 1.5 - 2 Kw per day.

What this has left me with is a need to investigate where the rest of the 10 - 13 Kw per day is going.

Next up I'm going to log the pool motor, its should be using 1Kw/h, only running for 3 hours a day. But I'd like to make sure.

My Dishwasher uses 1 Kw for a cycle on Auto. The Toploader washing machine is rather efficient only using 0.35Kw per cycle. Gas oven/stove combo, but the airfryer is power hungry.

Apologies for being that guy, but please note the following with regards to UNITS of measure:

kW is the rate of consumption. Think of it as speed.

kWh is the total amount of energy used. This is what you get billed on by the municipality. Think of it as distance traveled.

Example:

Your geyser has a 3kW element that heats the water.

If it is on for 2 hours, the amount of energy consumed is as follows:

RATE x Time = ENERGY

3kW x 2 hours = 6kWh  

3kW x 0.5 hour  = 1.5kWh

3 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Weekdays

Weekends

Saturday

Sundays

My low demand power overnight ranges from 350W to 490W per hour. This is for fridge, alarm, 2x routers, one outside light, appliances on standby and charging (computers). Assume the mid-point, 420W per hour, equals 10kWh per 24 hours. This is 50% of my daily usage (18-20kWh).

Then add the on-demand items:

Pool (0.75*4.5=3.3kWh)

Dishwasher: 1.2kWh

Washing machine: 0.8kWh

Geyser: 3-4kWh (0:45 to 1 hour)

TV/lights: 2-3kWh per day

image.png.8759e16f5c13ae8fee09de94d0d07952.png

Edited by Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

not really load shedding, but no power.

Our substation released all its smoke in the early hours of the morning beginning of the week, the result being we've had zero power for a few days now.

My wife, working from home, was using the inverter the first day. When it dropped to around 50% she turned it off.

I thought no problem, I have a generator, I'll get that running that evening, charge garage and gate batteries, have some lights running and charge the inverter. It seems the inverter did not like the input power and clicked on/off all the time. So I disconnected it.

Did a small amount of research and the internet said perhaps revs were to low of gennie to produce the correct amount of power. Next night I turned up the revs, now the inverter starts charging and then you hear the gennie taking strain, voltage drops and inverter turns the charger off, gennie recovers, rinse and repeat.

This is with only the inverter connected, nothing else drawing power from the gennie. 

It seems like my old chinese gennie is not able to produce enough power to charge the inverter.

21 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

not really load shedding, but no power.

Our substation released all its smoke in the early hours of the morning beginning of the week, the result being we've had zero power for a few days now.

My wife, working from home, was using the inverter the first day. When it dropped to around 50% she turned it off.

I thought no problem, I have a generator, I'll get that running that evening, charge garage and gate batteries, have some lights running and charge the inverter. It seems the inverter did not like the input power and clicked on/off all the time. So I disconnected it.

Did a small amount of research and the internet said perhaps revs were to low of gennie to produce the correct amount of power. Next night I turned up the revs, now the inverter starts charging and then you hear the gennie taking strain, voltage drops and inverter turns the charger off, gennie recovers, rinse and repeat.

This is with only the inverter connected, nothing else drawing power from the gennie. 

It seems like my old chinese gennie is not able to produce enough power to charge the inverter.

Some Inverters have a setting where you can dictate how many AMPS it can charge the batteries at from "GRID". I set mine to the lowest possible value(I think it is set to 16A at 48V) to be able to use my 2200W generator. It strains, but doesn't pull the generator down too much.

1 minute ago, Vetplant said:

Some Inverters have a setting where you can dictate how many AMPS it can charge the batteries at from "GRID". I set mine to the lowest possible value(I think it is set to 16A at 48V) to be able to use my 2200W generator. It strains, but doesn't pull the generator down too much.

I saw that just now during one of my searches, will check the inverter manual tonight and see if I can find a setting for that. It makes sense that it should have that setting, considering this inverter is able to take solar charging.

Day 7 without power.

Whilst its to late for this time around, with the increase in loadshedding and the continuous increase in electricity costs, we've decided to bite the bullet and start getting quotes for solar install.

what should I look out for ? brands to avoid?

For the geyser I'm thinking gas, will probably put it inline with the normal geyser, just turn the power off to the normal geyser. Or should I look at some sort of solar option for the normal geyser ?

The pool has a 1kw motor and I run it for around 3 hours a day. If it stays off for a few days its not a problem as its covered so doesnt get that dirty and chemicals last longer.

If I exclude the geyser and the pool, the house will use around 7 - 10 kwh per day.