Riding in Wilderness, George area.

Bateleur1

Hey guys,

long time since I have been on the hub.  I will be in SA soon and among others will be having a holiday in the Sedgefield area.  I am planning on taking a bike down and do some road riding.  A few questions about safety in the area.

1) How safe is it to ride up Outeniqua Pass nowadays.  I remember some time ago someone on the hub mentioned there is a squatter camp at the bottom where there could be some problems.  What is the situation nowadays?

2) How safe is it cycling from Knysa out direction PE?

3) If I want to cycle from Wilderness to George, is there a road alternative to the N2 Kaaimans bridge to George.  I think someone once mentioned here the Old George road but not sure what road that is.

Thanks in advance :)

Did the Cross Cape late last year, with a few detours.. Did Hartenbos - George, through 7 Passes and then Thesen Island to Plett pretty much solo. Did not feel unsafe at all, but there was an eye on me. Maybe pick out a route from there, cant go wrong with that route on the Garden Route part. 

https://ridewithgps.com/ambassador_routes/1319-the-cross-cape?lang=en

Can never recommended 7 passes enough to anyone that has never done it. Do not go near the N2 from Knysna to Plett. Used to ride up there to Harkerville years ago to ride the Red route and return to Thesen.  Wouldn't dare go there now. As for getting to PE. Maybe someone else can help with that 🙂

Edited by BrentCGP
typo and add.

2 hours ago, BrentCGP said:

Did the Cross Cape late last year, with a few detours.. Did Hartenbos - George, through 7 Passes and then Thesen Island to Plett pretty much solo. Did not feel unsafe at all, but there was an eye on me. Maybe pick out a route from there, cant go wrong with that route on the Garden Route part. 

https://ridewithgps.com/ambassador_routes/1319-the-cross-cape?lang=en

Can never recommended 7 passes enough to anyone that has never done it. Do not go near the N2 from Knysna to Plett. Used to ride up there to Harkerville years ago to ride the Red route and return to Thesen.  Wouldn't dare go there now. As for getting to PE. Maybe someone else can help with that 🙂

Done Sedgefield to Stormsriver on the N2 before detour via Natures Valley.  Very nice ride.  But that was 8 - 9 years ago if not more.  Not sure what the safety is riding out of Knysna.

7 hours ago, Bateleur1 said:

Hey guys,

long time since I have been on the hub.  I will be in SA soon and among others will be having a holiday in the Sedgefield area.  I am planning on taking a bike down and do some road riding.  A few questions about safety in the area.

1) How safe is it to ride up Outeniqua Pass nowadays.  I remember some time ago someone on the hub mentioned there is a squatter camp at the bottom where there could be some problems.  What is the situation nowadays?

2) How safe is it cycling from Knysa out direction PE?

3) If I want to cycle from Wilderness to George, is there a road alternative to the N2 Kaaimans bridge to George.  I think someone once mentioned here the Old George road but not sure what road that is.

Thanks in advance :)

hi, the Outeniqua pass has a pretty wide shoulder and I ride it every now and then and feel pretty safe by road bike standards.  

Lots of people ride the N2 but I wouldn't even consider it - I drive from Wilderness to St Francis and back every week and I feel the risk of riding on this road just isn't worth it.  But if you are going to do it get in touch with Eugene at Sedge Cycleworx.  Great guy and they do group rides and no one knows the area better.

You could ride from Sedgefield to George on the 7 passes - you'd have to cross some gravel but coming from Sedgefield you ride the N2 and then take a left up towards Karatara/Garden route trail park and keep turning left till you take the Hoogekraal pass - its about a 10km gravel climb and is currently doable on 28mm rubber - then 18km tar to Hoekwil and drop down to wilderness, climb out of wilderness back to 7 passes (old george road)  Beautiful quiet tar all the way to George but you will have to do some portage where they are repairing the road from flood damage (always better on a Sunday)

I would just say that this would all be so much easier and safer on a gravel bike or MTB.  Personally I'd stay off the N2, definitely avoid Kaaimans.  But I see people riding there all the time. I also get regular reports on my phone about accidents there

You have many options, Eugene at Cyclworx is your best one

13 hours ago, Bateleur1 said:

Road bike

Now that is a pity - was at Wildernees in Dec and they have some of the most amazing offroad routes imaginable. Had a blast! The Old George road is amazing from Wilderness to George - you will struggle to find more beautiful scenery but due to the road being washed away early last year (at University) - it may not be possible to pass ( we walked across the gap - no issue). I do however know they have started repairs and do not know how far it is. It may just be passible now.  And of the bat I simply cannot remember if the whole route was tar road - spent too much time looking left and right - but I think it was. But in Wilderness you just go up Hoogte Rd (be warned - she is tough!!), turn left Whites Rd and left onto Seven Passes Rd (pure heaven) into George

Edited by pedal menace

The Cycleworx group rides to Wilderness via the N2 quite regularly. I haven't found the traffic too bad, although a few weeks ago during the school holidays it was a bit busy.
I only moved here about a month ago, so can't help much with your questions. But based on the description by pedal menace, Strava claims the route to Outeniqua pass is 100% tar
image.png.62ef8027c522c086cb4d38c57d1ac6ed.png