SRAM AXS XO1 VS GX

Fires987

So bean thing of upgrading to a Sram axs.
So the question of the day is do I go with AXS GX or  AXS XO1. 
To start of I don’t care about weight.  
My concern is about the quality of the product.  
From what I can tell it’s all the same electronic, the biggest difference is the material used,  carbon,  aluminum & steel.  The same story with the bearings and fasteners. 
If we look at the cabel version you don’t touch anything under XO1.  If you ride your bike more than ones a year on tar road for more than 1km. 
So is it the same with AXS ?

Some input from someone that’s been riding the GX for more the 6 month would be nice.

Thank you

Edited by Fires987

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Fires987 said:

If we look at the cabel version you don’t touch anything under XO1.

In what universe? The Richie Rich one? GX is plenty good enough and can take a proper beating.

I've been running a GX AXS derailleur with my XX1 casette, XX1 chain and XX1 crank for about a year. Probably around 8000km. Went through the Cape Epic with zero issues. Only starting to pick up problems with the indexing now that I mounted a new bigger chainring without replacing the chain and cassette with it, I should know better.. before that - no issues.

7 minutes ago, JohanDiv said:

I've been running a GX AXS derailleur with my XX1 casette, XX1 chain and XX1 crank for about a year. Probably around 8000km. Went through the Cape Epic with zero issues. Only starting to pick up problems with the indexing now that I mounted a new bigger chainring without replacing the chain and cassette with it, I should know better.. before that - no issues.

With a bigger front ring you will have to adjust your derailleur just a bit. 

Thank you for your feed back.

18 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

gx Nothing wrong pretty bullet proof

GX ( Cable ) or AXS GX

Only looking for feed back on AXS GX 

Thank You 

9 minutes ago, dave303e said:

went from GX cable to GX AXS, both are good and solid and reliable. Personally prefer the ASX just because it shifts so well and consistently.

THIS FOR ME ALSO FOR THE WIN

10 minutes ago, dave303e said:

went from GX cable to GX AXS, both are good and solid and reliable. Personally prefer the ASX just because it shifts so well and consistently.

Extremely happy on GX cable coming from Shimano XT/XTR. I can see the benefits of AXS but I can't justify the cost.

I went from GX cable to GX AXS - very happy and GX is bullet proof 

I suppose the question should be - Will my ride experience be better with GX or X01 ? - I would say no so would never burn the extra cash on X01 - Maybe justified on chains and cassettes for longer life, but other than weight the RD and shifter work exactly the same

The only difference is the cage. I rode my GX AXS for a year, then when the time came to replace pulley wheels I just went with a cSixx cage and pulley wheels. You end up with an arguably better product than the XO1 for less money.

Agree with you on the cable stuff, wouldn't touch GX, but with AXS, the GX version is faultless. 

Edit: Ran it with an XO1 cassette and XX1 chain - that is where the real shift quality difference is felt. Also cheaper per km if you look at the price over the lifetime of the cassette and chain.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

47 minutes ago, JohanDiv said:

33 minutes ago, Fires987 said:

With a bigger front ring you will have to adjust your derailleur just a bit. 

+1 - Absolute key on SRAM 1 X 12 setups is that RD adjustment must be perfect - even if you change nothing it should be adjusted to cater for chain wear every so often

1 minute ago, Grease_Monkey said:

The only difference is the cage. I rode my GX AXS for a year, then when the time came to replace pulley wheels I just went with a cSixx cage and pulley wheels. You end up with an arguably better product than the XO1 for less money.

Agree with you on the cable stuff, wouldn't touch GX, but with AXS, the GX version is faultless. 

Was also thinking of doing the cSixx cage and pulley wheel upgrade on a GX as you will have a stiffer cage than the standard gx.