What MTB does R35,000 buy you these days?

Steady Spin

Just now, Kevin Knoop said:

Thanks - I don't know much on the subject. Wouldn't a 150mm sticking out less be better?

It will by sinking the post 25mm into the frame. It should work. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that a POTS? Havent seen those in years 🤣

image.jpeg.aec92e1311bd963679b528f4497e8a50.jpeg

But seriously, whats that Rapide dropper like? I need a 31.6 125mm but they dont have and I'm sceptical to use a bushing for a 30.9

58 minutes ago, 117 said:

Is that a POTS? Havent seen those in years 🤣

image.jpeg.aec92e1311bd963679b528f4497e8a50.jpeg

But seriously, whats that Rapide dropper like? I need a 31.6 125mm but they dont have and I'm sceptical to use a bushing for a 30.9

It could be. This house has leftover **** from the ancient copper communications age like you won't believe. 

The dropped is brilliant for the price. I use the 30.9 - 31.6 shim and it works perfectly. The over bar lever is ok as all of them are. Wish I could have done a below the bar. One point, it doesn't like more than 5nm of torque on the seat clamp though. 

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

231B117B-665D-4526-B13B-10ABD1DC8BF4.jpeg.66157dbf7f197e1caf5c498d1c592bbf.jpeg

That is how much sticks out with 125mm post. Looks like a lot but 150mm for me would have been very close. 

For the type of riding i do on this bike i don’t need that much drop compared to my Evil. 

The joys of being average sized haha. Dont complain…you don't know the struggle in the bike world.

My bikes look like that with 170mm+ droppers on them. My bikes would be able to take 270mm droppers to be blunt….Not to mention when it cones to things like shoes i only have one option basically….Spez ones, because they are the only ones who sell theirs up to size 14/49EU instead of the child sizes of other brands. Thats fine and all and their things are nice….but HELLA expensive.

14 minutes ago, MORNE said:

The joys of being average sized haha. Dont complain…you don't know the struggle in the bike world.

My bikes look like that with 170mm+ droppers on them. My bikes would be able to take 270mm droppers to be blunt….Not to mention when it cones to things like shoes i only have one option basically….Spez ones, because they are the only ones who sell theirs up to size 14/49EU instead of the child sizes of other brands. Thats fine and all and their things are nice….but HELLA expensive.

that door swings both ways as clearance sales never have the middle-of-the-roads sizes left. Then again, shoe stores probably never had the clown-sizes in stock in the first place :D

@Steady Spin Now that you are more familiar with the bike. Any parts you would recommend swapping out from the get go? Just thinking while parts are new upgrading to something else may still be cost effective.

For 35k you have an important choice to make: You can either buy the whole big red bike on the trailer... or you can get half of the puny little self-powered bike on the rack.

Economics does not make sense anymore.

IMG_2884.jpg

5 minutes ago, Kevin Knoop said:

@Steady Spin Now that you are more familiar with the bike. Any parts you would recommend swapping out from the get go? Just thinking while parts are new upgrading to something else may still be cost effective.

I replaced the tyres with Vittoria Barzos for tubeless and changed from 740mm to 780mm bars. Also replaced the grips with some Burgtecs. Pedals replaced with Look X-Track Race so I can where the disco slippers again. 

The contact point upgrades are purely personal preference. I really like the saddle it came with so that won't get the Fabric treatment like all my other bikes.

The Deore groupset is pretty damn crisp in shifting and the brakes slow me down enough to not want to upgrade them. 

My thinking is that I'll upgrade components as they wear out. Deore detailleur will become SLX if I ever smash it on a rock. Chain will become XT when the time comes etc. 

On 9/12/2022 at 3:12 PM, Steady Spin said:

It could be. This house has leftover **** from the ancient copper communications age like you won't believe. 

The dropped is brilliant for the price. I use the 30.9 - 31.6 shim and it works perfectly. The over bar lever is ok as all of them are. Wish I could have done a below the bar. One point, it doesn't like more than 5nm of torque on the seat clamp though. 

Have a look at the Lyne under bar levers. When I ordered they had a V1 and V2 option, one for post with cable clamp at the remote, and the other for cable clamp at the base of the post. Mine has worked well for a few years now and was like R250 or something

7 minutes ago, kk6gan said:

Have a look at the Lyne under bar levers. When I ordered they had a V1 and V2 option, one for post with cable clamp at the remote, and the other for cable clamp at the base of the post. Mine has worked well for a few years now and was like R250 or something

Wont work with the remote lockout unfortunately. Had to go for the over bar. 

Just now, Steady Spin said:

Wont work with the remote lockout unfortunately. Had to go for the over bar. 

Ah, going back and looking at the pics I see this now

14 hours ago, Nakoota said:

For 35k you have an important choice to make: You can either buy the whole big red bike on the trailer... or you can get half of the puny little self-powered bike on the rack.

Economics does not make sense anymore.

IMG_2884.jpg

This analogy is well meaning but so lame.