What MTB does R35,000 buy you these days?

Steady Spin

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/6/2022 at 10:00 AM, Steady Spin said:

Fiance and I are looking to start doing some more .... xc riding. Longer distances, gravel grinds, a little road riding here and there etc. 

Generally anything to put some time in the saddle and get more fit. We both have trail bikes but something lighter and more race(ish) will be cool. 

PS. You can recommend Titan Racing haha.

Looks like we're going full circle? 8 years ago we got to 2.0 tires and 80mm fork travel, then 3 years ago to 120mm travel, short stem, 2.3 tires and wide bars. Are we now going back again?

21 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

She rides a Forbidden Druid for fun and for reference had zero issues on the recent Pyga shuttle day in Karkloof to hang behind me on Isikhova and pretty much everything else. I got myself a badass over here. 

We just bought 2 of the Orbeas. Pretty damn impressive for a 13kg (medium) downcountry bike with 120mm travel front and back. 

The essential droppers and wider bars are on their way.

Answer: R35000 budget buys you a R40000 bike 😂 #mtblife

Here is a list of bikes in that price range, as a mention I do feel the prices are super inflated at the moment and therefore feel I would give you their real market value.

1.Specialized Evo Comp Alloy 2020 - R30k - R32k

2.Silverback Stratos Al 1 2020 - R30k - R35k

3. Merida ninety six (carbon)2019, 2020 - R35k, I sold one for 28k a year ago.

4. Merida one twenty 9.600 2019-2020 - R28 - R33k

5. Cannondale scalpel si 3 2018 - if your lucky you can pick one up at R35k.

6. Scott spark 900 expert comp alloy 2020  - R31k

I do feel these should be the market related prices, *I just saw a 2020 specialized chisel for 25k. and thought dam nice to resell a bike at purchase price 2 years down the line.

7 hours ago, Sandro said:

Brand new Titan Cypher would be my choice.

R35k gets you the Dash Alloy. With a RS Judy fork at 120mm (it’s okay in 100mm guise, but too flexy at 120), which is pretty poor, and an SX cheap as chips plastic drivetrain…. At that price point used just makes so much sense. You could easily get a 1 to 2 year old bike with decent forks and a proper drivetrain, like GX or XT. Might need a new chain and cassette, but that’s kind of irrelevant because you would be changing the SX components for new ones pretty quickly anyway. 

now, before I get lynched, I think titans are great, and I think their top end models are amazing value. But at R35k, you can do better elsewhere.

Edited by esCape-ist

16 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Exactly that. We looked at Titan but the Orbea just offeted a better overall deal for me. Looks better too. 

SX completely put me off. 

SX is a branding/marketing marvel from SRAM. To the uninformed, it looks pretty much the same as GX, and the you think you getting a deal on a 12 speed drivetrain. The reality is SX is on par with Shimano’s Alivio type group sets, Shimano just doesn’t bother with 12 speed on their cheap plastic stuff. 

Anything below GX I would far rather go for Plain old Deore. Shimano drivetrains are so much better at the lower end of the market. From GX/XT level it’s more about personal preference. 

I see there is a new Sur Ron electric off road motorbike for sale in the classifieds for 35K...the mind boggles at the price of MTBs these days.....

8 hours ago, esCape-ist said:

R35k gets you the Dash Alloy. With a RS Judy fork at 120mm (it’s okay in 100mm guise, but too flexy at 120), which is pretty poor, and an SX cheap as chips plastic drivetrain…. At that price point used just makes so much sense. You could easily get a 1 to 2 year old bike with decent forks and a proper drivetrain, like GX or XT. Might need a new chain and cassette, but that’s kind of irrelevant because you would be changing the SX components for new ones pretty quickly anyway. 

now, before I get lynched, I think titans are great, and I think their top end models are amazing value. But at R35k, you can do better elsewhere.

Friend of mine bought one a few months ago, his came with x-fusion so maybe they changed the spec. Didn't know SX was so ***. Interesting.