What MTB does R35,000 buy you these days?

Steady Spin

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Steady Spin said:

B8F02C3B-5291-451C-B400-A867A797F488.jpeg.58a426d5d8c5778d2fc7c906d8fc969b.jpeg

Thats the hole. 

I could drill out the blanking plate… but that is a tricky one  

Maybe use the blanking plate to measure the new grommet, for 3D printing.  (Saves on the need to scan, as per your post on the other thread.)

1 hour ago, Steady Spin said:

B8F02C3B-5291-451C-B400-A867A797F488.jpeg.58a426d5d8c5778d2fc7c906d8fc969b.jpeg

Thats the hole. 

I could drill out the blanking plate… but that is a tricky one  

Is it supposed to come like that though? Did the big C’s mechanics not just forget to open the frame spares baggy and install them? That looks like a missing part imo. Id ask

edit: you are defi missing parts:

heres a listing for same bike that was also bought from CL:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/569475/2022-orbea-oiz-h30-medium

also…all google images of the bikes show grommets

8131BC85-D184-44B3-A957-F65DC6B60DF8.jpeg

2C2273F3-FB09-4227-A1CA-887D2C477046.jpeg

34F50422-1D75-4BAA-A313-D89FB0AA2CD1.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

Came with the port blanked off with a plate. Nothing else and CL said they don’t have this. Taping it up for now with Gorilla Tape to prevent water and dirt ingress  

I would imagine the bikes should come with a bag with a manual etc at least. Maybe they have a pile of this in the workshop? Who knows. 

17 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Came with the port blanked off with a plate. Nothing else and CL said they don’t have this. Taping it up for now with Gorilla Tape to prevent water and dirt ingress  

I would imagine the bikes should come with a bag with a manual etc at least. Maybe they have a pile of this in the workshop? Who knows. 

They suck when it comes to OEM stuff and im actually talking about CL-CWC here in cape town. I bought a set of slx m7100 brakes from them in 2020 and they didn't give any of the olives, piepies and bleed blocks etc in the box. Made them give me everything. I dont even ask..i tell them it’s missing 😅.  Those things are R100 a side, never mind the bleeding stuff.  Not my problem they want to sell OEM stuff as new/retail.

Edited by MORNE

28 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

It should def. Those things come unassembled( thats how they dodge duties) in boxes with everything. Even my wife's old ‘Macrodale’ 3y ago came with everything in the box, manuals, bb cable guides etc. 
Also, like you’ll know…any new frame/ bike comes with a blank as well as a open version of those plates for droppers  or whatever etc. Well atleast every single bike I've ever built myself.

Edited by MORNE

6 hours ago, MORNE said:

It should def. Those things come unassembled( thats how they dodge duties) in boxes with everything. Even my wife's old ‘Macrodale’ 3y ago came with everything in the box, manuals, bb cable guides etc. 
Also, like you’ll know…any new frame/ bike comes with a blank as well as a open version of those plates for droppers  or whatever etc. Well atleast every single bike I've ever built myself.

Yip. They probably have a box full of miscellaneous OEM cable guides, manuals, stickers etc. that they are either keeping to sell or use when servicing a bike. 

You can drill the blank, but it is sketchy at the best of times and you will probably need a very sharp drill bit and a steady hand. 

I think the best thing to do is to ask them for the guides and maybe offer to pay courier (it is unfair, but it may make them more likely to tell the thruth and gove them to you). If this fails then bust out the drill haha

1 minute ago, Kevin Knoop said:

@Steady Spinwhat dropper did you go for and what size? Bought the same bike and want to do the same.

I’m 1.79m tall and went for a size large. 

Installed a Rapide 125mm post with the over the bar lever. 150mm would have been too long. 

2 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

I’m 1.79m tall and went for a size large. 

Installed a Rapide 125mm post with the over the bar lever. 150mm would have been too long. 

awesome thank you. I'm the same height and also bought a large. Cycle lab want to order me the Lyn 150mm - may have to change that then. Is your dropper lever installed on the right side? 

16 minutes ago, Kevin Knoop said:

awesome thank you. I'm the same height and also bought a large. Cycle lab want to order me the Lyn 150mm - may have to change that then. Is your dropper lever installed on the right side? 

Left side. Had to move the remote lockout further in on the bar to prevent interference. 

A819E3FE-F7FC-4534-A5B2-B8F421470505.jpeg.25560d28ab01ca788f6243e233f6bdbc.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Kevin Knoop said:

Please ask them about the cable guide for interest sake 😂

Just now, Steady Spin said:

Please ask them about the cable guide for interest sake 😂

I just did - will let you know 👍

231B117B-665D-4526-B13B-10ABD1DC8BF4.jpeg.66157dbf7f197e1caf5c498d1c592bbf.jpeg

That is how much sticks out with 125mm post. Looks like a lot but 150mm for me would have been very close. 

For the type of riding i do on this bike i don’t need that much drop compared to my Evil. 

Edited by Steady Spin