What MTB does R35,000 buy you these days?

Steady Spin

Fiance and I are looking to start doing some more .... xc riding. Longer distances, gravel grinds, a little road riding here and there etc. 

Generally anything to put some time in the saddle and get more fit. We both have trail bikes but something lighter and more race(ish) will be cool. 

PS. You can recommend Titan Racing haha.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, 117 said:

I hate to say it... but you get a lot of Spez 2nd hand for that amount of loot

True story. Seen quite a few in that price bracket that ticks all the boxes.

Hard tail plenty for that amount Dual Sus a little less.

I recently sold a well specced Scalpel for R25k.

Very nice price range to be shopping, basically as good as you gonna get, bang for buck wise, especially 2nd hand, sometimes even get some near top spec bikes that come through at that price

12 hours ago, Daniel Amos said:

Orbea Oiz H30 is on special at Cyclelab for R39999.

Decent bike with lifetime warranty on the frame.

1x12 Deore with Fox suspension

This is really ticking all the boxes. Stretches the budget a little but it should be possible. 

6 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

This is really ticking all the boxes. Stretches the budget a little but it should be possible. 

Not sure of the skill level of your fiance, but if you are doing mellow xc and road/gravel rides, then you could get an amazingly light xc hardtail with great parts for that. Also IMO a hardtail is essential to start on because it builds all the essential skills and makes you a better rider. For example, I had ridden hardtails for 2 years before I got my first full sus, and on the first ride, I was easily lapping my buddies who started on enduro bikes and they have been riding for 5+ years. 

3 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Not sure of the skill level of your fiance, but if you are doing mellow xc and road/gravel rides, then you could get an amazingly light xc hardtail with great parts for that. Also IMO a hardtail is essential to start on because it builds all the essential skills and makes you a better rider. For example, I had ridden hardtails for 2 years before I got my first full sus, and on the first ride, I was easily lapping my buddies who started on enduro bikes and they have been riding for 5+ years. 

She rides a Forbidden Druid for fun and for reference had zero issues on the recent Pyga shuttle day in Karkloof to hang behind me on Isikhova and pretty much everything else. I got myself a badass over here. 

We just bought 2 of the Orbeas. Pretty damn impressive for a 13kg (medium) downcountry bike with 120mm travel front and back. 

The essential droppers and wider bars are on their way.

4 hours ago, 117 said:

Steady is a die hard downhill and enduro rider... Builds his own rides up too. 

I think a HT is a little off for him 😉

Yea I kinda figured that out haha

I was not sure if his fiance was starting out riding, so I always recommend a hardtail to anyone if they are new

47 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

She rides a Forbidden Druid for fun and for reference had zero issues on the recent Pyga shuttle day in Karkloof to hang behind me on Isikhova and pretty much everything else. I got myself a badass over here. 

We just bought 2 of the Orbeas. Pretty damn impressive for a 13kg (medium) downcountry bike with 120mm travel front and back. 

The essential droppers and wider bars are on their way.

The Orbeas were a mad deal, if I wanted a downcountry bike, I would probably buy one of those and swap the suspension for RockShox (pike ultimate upfront and super deluxe ultimate rear). But I guess that isn't why enduro riders spec xc bikes haha

Also I am getting carried away and I need to stop thinking about a downcountry bike before I spend the money I don't have and get another bike...