Reba vs Fox 32

Naz

Hi, i ride an Epic with a Rockshox Reba 100mm fork(Standard). Im thinking of upgrading my fork to a Fox 32 Stepcast. Is there a big difference in weight and is it a worthwhile upgrade? I only want to do it if i can shave some weight off the bike. THANX

10 minutes ago, Naz said:

Hi, i ride an Epic with a Rockshox Reba 100mm fork(Standard). Im thinking of upgrading my fork to a Fox 32 Stepcast. Is there a big difference in weight and is it a worthwhile upgrade? I only want to do it if i can shave some weight off the bike. THANX

I don't know how much you weigh/what you ride/where you ride but I have heard the 32 stepcast is like a wet noodle, it flexes like mad. I think the 32 SC is about 200-300 grams lighter than the reba. Small gains IMHO when compared to performance.

But the again, I ride a 15.5kg bike with 170/160 travel, so I may not be the best guy to give weight weenie advice...

Also I have never had experience with the 32 SC (I have used the normal one), but I have used the reba and that thing was BULLETPROOF and pretty easy to setup, as well as having a pretty plush and supportive feel.

Fox will be more flexy , but way better in terms of serviceability and performance ( these services are expensive tho ) also every single small part will be available readily.

Reba is like A Toyota, it will keep on trucking like there's no tomorrow. Servicing is cheaper than fox , high end dampers it gets close but still cheaper. But small parts are near impossible to find , as the damper gets more complicated this also becomes more of an issue ( more small parts )

Both are excellent especially in our climate. Basic servicing can be done by yourself or a local shop and there are 3 companies across the country that can do the in depth stuff , other than the distributors as well. But small parts on rockshox not available, just keep that in mind...

If you like spaghetti, get the 32 stepcast and make a lekker aglio e olio. It should cook up just al dente and hold its form about as well. 

The Reba has aglio for breakfast. And will carry on trucking while the stepson gets punished yet again. 

10 minutes ago, Captain Fastbastard Mayhem said:

If you like spaghetti, get the 32 stepcast and make a lekker aglio e olio. It should cook up just al dente and hold its form about as well. 

The Reba has aglio for breakfast. And will carry on trucking while the stepson gets punished yet again. 

Ooooooh, spaghetti! Yum yum!

I have a 2019 Epic and had a Reba 100mm on it. I then put a relatively new (2019) Reba 120mm on and have since upgraded to the 2022 FOX 34 Factory 120mm fork and it is night and day difference. Not only the extra travel making the ride so much more enjoyable but the stiffness of the FOX over the Reba is a big upgrade. the small bump compliance on the FOX is so much better and rides a lot more plush than the Reba. I know its difficult to compare a R8000 Rockshox to a R24000 FOX but it was a very worthwhile upgrade and has changed my riding for the better. I was advised away from the Step-cast because of the stiffness issue.

Keep the Reba. If it is an old fork, upgrade to a new Reba or SID. Or send it away for service and replace the internals with 2023 parts.

11 hours ago, mxjunke said:

I have a 2019 Epic and had a Reba 100mm on it. I then put a relatively new (2019) Reba 120mm on and have since upgraded to the 2022 FOX 34 Factory 120mm fork and it is night and day difference. Not only the extra travel making the ride so much more enjoyable but the stiffness of the FOX over the Reba is a big upgrade. the small bump compliance on the FOX is so much better and rides a lot more plush than the Reba. I know its difficult to compare a R8000 Rockshox to a R24000 FOX but it was a very worthwhile upgrade and has changed my riding for the better. I was advised away from the Step-cast because of the stiffness issue.

Obviously the Fox 34 would be a noticeable upgrade, but probably weighs more than the Reba it replaced. The OP is asking about the weight weenie SC 32 vs the Land Cruiser Reba.

My opinion, stick with the Reba, if possible (I am sure it is), have it converted to 120mm and just keep it serviced and running. Not worth losing the stiffness and reliability to go SC32. If you want an upgrade and want to go fox, go 34, but I doubt there will be much if any weight savings.

I just bought a FOX 34 120mm SC.  The flex issues was on the 32, doubt there will be any issues on the 34.

My current fork is a 2013 Fox Float 32 CTD 100mm, the new 2022 34 SC is slightly lighter and this was already a pretty light fork in its hay days.

Edited by TheoG

2 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

Obviously the Fox 34 would be a noticeable upgrade, but probably weighs more than the Reba it replaced. The OP is asking about the weight weenie SC 32 vs the Land Cruiser Reba.

My opinion, stick with the Reba, if possible (I am sure it is), have it converted to 120mm and just keep it serviced and running. Not worth losing the stiffness and reliability to go SC32. If you want an upgrade and want to go fox, go 34, but I doubt there will be much if any weight savings.

Fair enough, but the weight difference between a FOX 32SC and the FOX 34SC is only 56 grams, the FOX 34 (120mm) is 200 grams heavier than the FOX 34SC. The new 2022 FOX 34SC is 130 grams lighter than the older version as well. The 2022 Reba is 1602 grams compared to the FOX 34SC at 1496 grams and the FOX34 (120mm) is 1698 grams. The improvement in stiffness and improved time on downhill technical terrain  on the 34 is worth more than a loss of 56 grams of weight. If you going to convert your Reba to 120mm then there will should be an increase in weight there anyways. The new Reba 120mm weighs 1693 grams with a 32mm stanchion. 

16 hours ago, Naz said:

Factory or non factory (performance or elite)? 

This will answer your weight saving question. 

Factory SC will certainly be lighter than current Reba. Performance or elite may not be. 

As for feel and performance. That may differ on the personal. I still race with a SC32 and enjoy it.