[Event] PPA One Tonner

Pedal Power Association

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

PPA's position on whether someone could be placed in the backseat of the commissaire's car to hand out bottles to solo riders / teams without support cars in the A-group:

"Unfortunately, we do not offer this service as there is sufficient water points on route. The 170 km will have 7 water points."

What a joke.

I really don't understand the idea of having a 170km race in the Boland and no way to get additional hydration to participants except through water points that require stopping. A, B, C and probably D should be capable of handling musettes. ANyway I'll be taking my USWE

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still trying to work out what has changed.

I have not raced/fun rode this event for a few years now, but I never recall having any issues with the water we started with making it to the finish and there were some sweltering days.

Seems like racing has gotten way harder and more water intense.

11 hours ago, Dicky DQ said:

I have not raced/fun rode this event for a few years now, but I never recall having any issues with the water we started with making it to the finish

Probably didn't have any issues with your rim brakes, or your butyl inner tubes, or your "nutrition plan" of 200g carbs for the whole race? 😜

13 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

PPA's position on whether someone could be placed in the backseat of the commissaire's car to hand out bottles to solo riders / teams without support cars in the A-group:

"Unfortunately, we do not offer this service as there is sufficient water points on route. The 170 km will have 7 water points."

What a joke.

Would it not be easier to organise support for yourself rather than shaming the PPA/commissaire into doubling as your support car?

1 minute ago, Skubarra said:

Would it not be easier to organise support for yourself rather than shaming the PPA/commissaire into doubling as your support car?

It's quite easy to shame them. Only takes a few seconds of typing. Not sure how organising my own support would be easier...
/s

Seriously though, I wasn't expecting them to provide support, I just engaged them in conversation regarding the possibility for neutral support and how much of a difference that would make to the racing for the majority of the riders. I would not have mentioned their response were it not for their callous disregard (or ignorance) of how bicycle racing works.

Telling racers to stop at water points is worthy of public shaming. It's indicative of an organisational attitude that hasn't been member focused for years.

There are many alternatives to neutral service, some of which WP cycling often enlists. Engagement on the topic, even without resolution, would have been multiple levels better than pointing out the number of water points.

56 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

It's quite easy to shame them. Only takes a few seconds of typing. Not sure how organising my own support would be easier...
/s

Seriously though, I wasn't expecting them to provide support, I just engaged them in conversation regarding the possibility for neutral support and how much of a difference that would make to the racing for the majority of the riders. I would not have mentioned their response were it not for their callous disregard (or ignorance) of how bicycle racing works.

Telling racers to stop at water points is worthy of public shaming. It's indicative of an organisational attitude that hasn't been member focused for years.

There are many alternatives to neutral service, some of which WP cycling often enlists. Engagement on the topic, even without resolution, would have been multiple levels better than pointing out the number of water points.

Surprised they never asked you just to use a camelback.

2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

/s

Don't mean to bash you but I really don't get your big gripe - for the vast majority of the field the waterpoints would be enough (and PPA has always been more focused on the fun rider than the serious racers, that's not a recent thing or unique to the one tonner).

Personally I don't think any support should be allowed (to make it fair on everybody) but if organisers are happy to look the other way then just organise someone to meet you with a bottle and get on with it?

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Don't mean to bash you but I really don't get your big gripe - for the vast majority of the field the waterpoints would be enough (and PPA has always been more focused on the fun rider than the serious racers, that's not a recent thing or unique to the one tonner).

Personally I don't think any support should be allowed (to make it fair on everybody) but if organisers are happy to look the other way then just organise someone to meet you with a bottle and get on with it?

Early 2000s PPA was very successful on three fronts - Racers, fun riders, families. Currently it's a trippel failure.
Racers are making the best of the situation - in spite of organisers.
Fun riders are largely opting for club riding over events.
Family participation is virtually non existent.

If you have something in place that works for the vast majority, but not everyone, pretending like it should be okay for everyone is disingenuous. It is brutally clear that they haven't even realised this, let alone given low effort or zero effort solutions any consideration. I would have accepted it if they responded with your final thought - "Yeah, the disadvantage is not great but we want to keep normal CSA rulings in place by allowing feeding from team cars. Maybe you can organise roadside support?" This would show consideration for all of their members, even though they are not yet putting anything in place to mitigate.

Your suggestion of banning feeding from cars is one way to go. It was done by WP at the Velddrif 222km event. They implored team cars to offer mechanical service to other riders wherever possible and had designated feed areas where you had to stop to feed. You could give your feeding bag at the start and receive it at the feed zone. All were equal, and it didn't take much to achieve it.

Admittedly this is a small issue, but it's one of countless issues over the last years and the problems affect everyone across the board, not just the racers.

Non-bottle related logistical question:
Where does one park, and is it likely to be a dogshow?

Only doing the 109k, so have a later start time, but wondering if there's going to be anything left by the time I arrive if I leave it too late.

Edit: Ok, I see parking info is on the website:
Parking-1-1-1024x576.jpg

The second question still stands though...

Edited by MongooseMan

18 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

Where does one park, and is it likely to be a dogshow?

Plenty of parking at the designated spot, but also tons and tons more within a 2km radius. You'll be fine.

The only event where I had to involuntary dismount in the searing heat on Malmesbury Rd a few seasons ago. Cramp time, baby! Since that day, I have lovingly renamed this event as The One Donner.