Bicycle wash as a service?

KNmtb

Good day fellow hubbers!

I Would like some feedback on an idea of mine. I'm considering offering a local bike wash for the cyclists in my area. Free pickup and dropoff of your beloved steed (the area is not that large in radius +costs have been considerd into price) This includes full wash and lube + setting gears if needed. I am a qualified senior technician so the bike is in good hands. Would any of you consider something like this for around 80-100 bucks? I'm a university student and would just like something to keep me occupied when im not on the bike or nose deep in the books. 

Thanks!

There are a lot of cyclists who are not tech savvy or for that mater keen on washing down a bike after a good dusty , muddy or even just a wet ride on a road bike . I know some LBS offer this at a slightly higher price and i see a lot of bikes going in on a Monday for this . Way back in the 60's my mate and  i started bicycle repairs for the area we lived in . We made enough money weekly to pay for movies , cooldrinks and the odd packet of fish and chips and also kept me in tubbies ( tubular tyres ) and any other spare i needed for my RIH racing bike . So i would say if you have a fair amount of cyclist around you and your work ethic is good go for . Its easier to market yourself as a  business nowadays than it was back then . Now im really giving away my age .

@FirstV8thanks for the reply my brother. Agreed and I've seen bike shops charge a lot for a wash and lube. I would love to implement services as well just that the capital is not there for all the tools and stock of spares. Modern day bikes have a lot of variety and a lot of tools needed. I am slowly collecting tools so with time it will happen! Always remember you are only as old as you feel ; )

23 minutes ago, KGmtb said:

@FirstV8thanks for the reply my brother. Agreed and I've seen bike shops charge a lot for a wash and lube. I would love to implement services as well just that the capital is not there for all the tools and stock of spares. Modern day bikes have a lot of variety and a lot of tools needed. I am slowly collecting tools so with time it will happen! Always remember you are only as old as you feel ; )

Yeah bike tools are crazy expensive.

With all the industry standards, there are hundreds of tools to purchase and you will need to have stock of parts on hand if stuff need to be replaced. 

Bike shops are capital heavy and also extremely work heavy. You have to give it 110% if you want it so succeed and obtain a loyal customer base. That means going the extra mile and always making sure the client is happy etc.

Do it. I see how busy the bike washes are at the local trails. I also see that pressure washer doing double duty on the bikes to rush them out. Not all bikes come put clean either. 

Funniest part is clean bikes are then loaded onto racks and driven back home on a dirt road. 

Monday wash is a much better idea. 

11 hours ago, KGmtb said:

Every bike wash you do is one step closer to buying the tools you need to do proper servicing and making more money.

Go and do it! you can actually charge a bit more. I often come across people who don't wash a bike or consider a lite spray down as a wash.

I use to offer a similar service at my home town while I was in high school. I had the lawyers and doctors asking me to collect on a weekly basis, simply because they are very time restricted. all they want is the very little spare time they have is to ride a bike that is clean and works with no problems.

The most important thing you must do is make sure you are doing a wash better than if the person had to do it them selves. In other words the chain, cassette must be spotless and the frame and tires must be polished and dirt free. 

Maybe even get a chain wear indicator and help keep your customer up to date on how his chain is doing.

Last thing is that you must be able to safely transport the bike as well as secure storage if the bike is left with you for a few days.

Edited by Jimmy 2.0

I'd charge slightly more than that since you are collecting and dropping off. As above, make sure you have some sort of insurance in place should a mishap and theft happen whilst the bikes are in your possession.

Also an idea, have a per wash price, but also have a slightly cheaper price if they pay upfront for the entire month. 

Great idea - I would make use of such a service.

Your price seems good and I would charge a bit more for gear/brake sets.

Ideally you would position yourself close to the trails so riders can make use of this straight after a ride. (Maybe joint venture with a coffee shop nearby?) I would leave it or do it myself if it can't happen directly after my ride - might as well then just go to LBS and have them do something else too. Love taking a clean bike home after a big day out.

It would be great for this service to be offered by someone skilled for the job. Like every padstal now offering bespoke bean to cup coffee with a completely untrained "barista", too often places (even some LBSs) offering bike washes have everything they need but an unskilled person doing the washes. With the price of bikes I want someone to do it properly. A guy standing there with a pressure washer full blast 1mm away from the fork seals and then lubing it up like a Brazers Bonanza. Can't deal.

This is just me though - other people would possibly bring in their bikes on a Monday like someone mentioned.

FYI - in response to Steady Spin:

https://hubtiger.com/pricing/

On 9/28/2022 at 8:56 AM, Jimmy 2.0 said:

Go and do it! you can actually charge a bit more. I often come across people who don't wash a bike or consider a lite spray down as a wash.

I use to offer a similar service at my home town while I was in high school. I had the lawyers and doctors asking me to collect on a weekly basis, simply because they are very time restricted. all they want is the very little spare time they have is to ride a bike that is clean and works with no problems.

The most important thing you must do is make sure you are doing a wash better than if the person had to do it them selves. In other words the chain, cassette must be spotless and the frame and tires must be polished and dirt free. 

Maybe even get a chain wear indicator and help keep your customer up to date on how his chain is doing.

Last thing is that you must be able to safely transport the bike as well as secure storage if the bike is left with you for a few days.

Great points here Jimmy. You sometimes hear the blokes on a group ride complaining that their bike needs a wash. I do have a chain wear indicator and that will most certainly be implemented . Would also do a M check on the bike to keep the clients informed about any possible maintenance they would need shortly.

I myself am extremely ocd about my bikes and with time i have made a nice routine to wash my bikes and leave them spotless. I have a big variety of cleaning supplies,sponges, brushes and stuff that i know work on the bikes. Lets just say i would challenge anyone to a bike wash competition.🤣 

Also a great point about the safety of the bikes. I have a bike rack but would refrain from using it ( just imagine transporting a clients mont old s works epic and having it nicked off the rack) i have a fairly large suv that can fit 2 bikes and would prefer to keep them inside the car ,its just so much more safer. Crime these days is just so unpredictable.

On 9/28/2022 at 11:32 AM, Wheelie87 said:

Great idea - I would make use of such a service.

Your price seems good and I would charge a bit more for gear/brake sets.

Ideally you would position yourself close to the trails so riders can make use of this straight after a ride. (Maybe joint venture with a coffee shop nearby?) I would leave it or do it myself if it can't happen directly after my ride - might as well then just go to LBS and have them do something else too. Love taking a clean bike home after a big day out.

It would be great for this service to be offered by someone skilled for the job. Like every padstal now offering bespoke bean to cup coffee with a completely untrained "barista", too often places (even some LBSs) offering bike washes have everything they need but an unskilled person doing the washes. With the price of bikes I want someone to do it properly. A guy standing there with a pressure washer full blast 1mm away from the fork seals and then lubing it up like a Brazers Bonanza. Can't deal.

This is just me though - other people would possibly bring in their bikes on a Monday like someone mentioned.

FYI - in response to Steady Spin:

https://hubtiger.com/pricing/

Thanks for the reply my friend!

We do have a coffee shop nearby that i know riders go to after their day out, also a great idea. And i agree I've seen to many people washing bikes after races that hose down the bikes with a pressure washer like its a machine gun in WW2. But that is because they want a fast solution to make more money. I support only one standard and that is the highest standard that could possibly be maintained. 

On 9/28/2022 at 9:33 AM, ouzo said:

I'd charge slightly more than that since you are collecting and dropping off. As above, make sure you have some sort of insurance in place should a mishap and theft happen whilst the bikes are in your possession.

Also an idea, have a per wash price, but also have a slightly cheaper price if they pay upfront for the entire month. 

Thanks for the feedback.

I was thinking about a package deal where you would pay a set amount that gives you a set amount of washes at a lower rate than purchasing a individual wash.