Bicycle wash as a service?

KNmtb

My 2c - go for it, but leave the drop off and pick up unless you have a van. You open yourself up to liability there with theft, crashes, etc. 

Other than that, brilliant idea. Maybe buy some silicone sprays, protection sprays, cheap lubes, expensive ceramic lubes, etc and offer different packages of washes like a car wash does. 

When you get established also consider a snap scan or c/card payment option... I say this as I am the kind of person that very rarely has any cold hard cash on him, but would use these services to make payments.

5 hours ago, Grease_Monkey said:

My 2c - go for it, but leave the drop off and pick up unless you have a van. You open yourself up to liability there with theft, crashes, etc. 

Other than that, brilliant idea. Maybe buy some silicone sprays, protection sprays, cheap lubes, expensive ceramic lubes, etc and offer different packages of washes like a car wash does. 

^this

While collections and drop-offs are convenient, they are very expensive if they go wrong. As a first time business owner, you may not want the extra complication/stress of that and it will be much more efficient and simple for you if you have people bring it to you.

You probably already know, but drivetrain brushes, chain cleaners etc. are really useful and they will save you so much time when you need to clean tight to reach spots. Also get some good degreaser (like blixem) and use it in a well ventilated space - it is harsh stuff and is definitely not the best for your lungs.

Good luck with your business, and you can trust me when I say that a lot of riders are rad people and working on bikes is super rewarding and fun.

8 hours ago, Hairy said:

When you get established also consider a snap scan or c/card payment option... I say this as I am the kind of person that very rarely has any cold hard cash on him, but would use these services to make payments.

100% i already have a mobile device that allows tap and swipe, cash and eft will also be an option.

Thanks for the feedback bud.

3 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

^this

While collections and drop-offs are convenient, they are very expensive if they go wrong. As a first time business owner, you may not want the extra complication/stress of that and it will be much more efficient and simple for you if you have people bring it to you.

You probably already know, but drivetrain brushes, chain cleaners etc. are really useful and they will save you so much time when you need to clean tight to reach spots. Also get some good degreaser (like blixem) and use it in a well ventilated space - it is harsh stuff and is definitely not the best for your lungs.

Good luck with your business, and you can trust me when I say that a lot of riders are rad people and working on bikes is super rewarding and fun.

Thanks for adding on ! Yes i have 3 brushes, i use one the cassette and chainring, softer one for the tires to get between the tire treads. And a 3rd soft one that helps get between the parraleograms on the draileur and pulley wheels. Brushes are definitely a essential in my opinion. 

And yes it is a big risk. I have a suc that can accomodate 1 bike inside  and not as exposed. I mentioned to one other hubber how crime is such a set back. Like that Mello velo that got robbed the other day. Criminals have realised the bikes are just as valuable as a cheap car. And to be honest getting a bike off some bike racks can easily be done with blunt force. 

Sorry to rain on the parade. Maybe it's just me but my road bike seldom needs more than a wipe down with a damp cloth while my MTB gets washed after every ride which isn't more than a light spray from garden hose with hose rinse of chain links and after it's drip dried I run the chain through a dry cloth squeezing in my hands with lube done night before a ride. I find washing my bike somewhat therapeutic plus I get to check any issues and I know I'm 100% not overwashing bearings or the chain. That's just me but I have a family member who could easily afford even daily bike washes who also prefers to wash his and the Missus bike.

Yes, do it! 😀

If you’re in my area I will be calling you often. I suspect you will have more business than you can handle. 

I think its a great idea, but I agree with a lot of people to leave the pickup and dropoff idea. But I personally think you can charge a bit more.

Goodluck 😎

On 9/27/2022 at 9:25 PM, MTBRIDER1234 said:

With all the industry standards, there are hundreds of tools to purchase

Nuts right, when I was looking for a BB tool one single manufacturer was making 13 different BB tools.

All of the best! For interest, what turnaround time are you aiming for? I found that sometimes life gets in the way of a side business, which could affect how quickly you can attend to the bikes. 

Great idea, I may not support it personally as I am a dirty person but support the concept. Two comments, maybe not made yet; you could need WD40 or similar just to spray the chain after washing (compressed air blow through is best before this) just to stop rusting which is obvious on the outside. Then, note to potential ebike customers that you will cover up all ebike water sensitive areas (might cost you in condoms unless you can find the free government issue ones lol - small zip loc ok).

Best of luck.

13 hours ago, W@nted said:

All of the best! For interest, what turnaround time are you aiming for? I found that sometimes life gets in the way of a side business, which could affect how quickly you can attend to the bikes. 

Nah ... sleep is over rated ... there are lots of hours to work between 10pm and 6am

I never Wash My Bikes,

After riding I just wipe them with a damp Shammy and then lube the chain with the Squirt.

When it's Dirty I remove the cassette from the wheel and soak it in parafin.

They are not squeaky clean but they look alright.

On 10/2/2022 at 12:12 AM, KGmtb said:

Thanks for adding on ! Yes i have 3 brushes, i use one the cassette and chainring, softer one for the tires to get between the tire treads. And a 3rd soft one that helps get between the parraleograms on the draileur and pulley wheels. Brushes are definitely a essential in my opinion. 

And yes it is a big risk. I have a suc that can accomodate 1 bike inside  and not as exposed. I mentioned to one other hubber how crime is such a set back. Like that Mello velo that got robbed the other day. Criminals have realised the bikes are just as valuable as a cheap car. And to be honest getting a bike off some bike racks can easily be done with blunt force. 

No problem, glad that I added some value.

Bikes are much easier than a car or pretty much anything of similar value to steal and sell.

Once stripped, good luck getting all the parts back and proving they are yours.

I have even heard of thieves cutting through bike frames just for the groupset alone. A full XX1 drivetrain is worth a lotta cash. Sometimes even more, if not the same as the complete bike.

Also, bike racks aren't all that secure, with a good power saw you could literally cut through those tubes in seconds and be gone with a bike worth more than a car. If you haven't already, you guys should seriously consider insuring your bike, I know that I certainly could not afford to replace mine if it was stolen, as most of my money went into it haha