Poor Poor form Meerendal Wine Estate

Richard84

42 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Nah, not me 🤣

Lucky I was on Muscles Giles good side. He was the only local I never had issues with. I had my best wave at Vic thanks to him. We were sitting at the rock boil up from the take off spot. He was just hanging, I asked if he was going. He looked, said Nah, I turned and paddled into the biggest and longest shack of my life. I got spat out by Green Doors after riding the foam ball from Rod Hossack's spot.

I was mates with Stuart, his nephew. We had many many sessions together and spent many Decembers together at their Herolds Bay beach house.

In my day Len, Rob Pollock, Stephen Hair, Rod Hossack, John Pfaff, Torty Cloete, Shaun Holmes, David Pfaff were the main manne.

Ja Leonard had a mean backhand off the top, and in his speedo in howling SW winter swell was a sight to behold! Was back there a few months ago, Sean was out...I didn't get too many waves...😔

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, capediver said:

Boet, nobody, and I mean nobody, beat their way to the takeoff when Leonard Giles was out.....

Unless...Leonard...is that you!? If it is, I'm sorry, really sorry, never again....😇

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Nah, not me 🤣

Lucky I was on Muscles Giles good side. He was the only local I never had issues with. I had my best wave at Vic thanks to him. We were sitting at the rock boil up from the take off spot. He was just hanging, I asked if he was going. He looked, said Nah, I turned and paddled into the biggest and longest shack of my life. I got spat out by Green Doors after riding the foam ball from Rod Hossack's spot.

I was mates with Stuart, his nephew. We had many many sessions together and spent many Decembers together at their Herolds Bay beach house.

In my day Len, Rob Pollock, Stephen Hair, Rod Hossack, John Pfaff, Torty Cloete, Shaun Holmes, David Pfaff were the main manne.

I could never understand why Lenny Giles would try so hard to be intimidating about a break that’s slow and swak compared to Supers or Kalk Bay or Cave Rock or even the lefty wedges at King’s Beach, his aggression attempts were entertaining.  We had a few fun days at Vic Bay though with Andrew Carter, David Stolk, Tim Stocks and a young Sean Holmes.

FWIW Tim Stocks was late for his heat and remains the only person to contest a SA Champs semi-final in just his onderbroek and contest vest, as documented by Zig Zag's account and photo. 🤣

Edited by justinafrika

13 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

I could never understand why Lenny Giles would try so hard to be intimidating about a break that’s slow and swak compared to Supers or Kalk Bay or Cave Rock or even the lefty wedges at King’s Beach, his aggression attempts were entertaining.  We had a few fun days at Vic Bay though with Andrew Carter, David Stolk, Tim Stocks and a young Sean Holmes.

FWIW Tim Stocks was late for his heat and remains the only person to contest an SA Champs semi-final in just his onderbroek, as documented by Zig Zag's account and photo. 🤣

Agree, it is never really clean but gets OK some days, I popped in to get wet on a road trip recently...

9 hours ago, capediver said:

Agree, it is never really clean but gets OK some days, I popped in to get wet on a road trip recently...

great video!!!!👌

11 hours ago, capediver said:

Nice. Suddenly I get flooded with decades of memories. I started out at Vic Bay when the cars could still park up against the beach, before the days of that paved road. Sharing the stoke with some good folks.

Len was usually first seen by his lip destroying backhand which he then followed up with his trademark black Speedo. 

14 hours ago, capediver said:

Ja Leonard had a mean backhand off the top, and in his speedo in howling SW winter swell was a sight to behold! Was back there a few months ago, Sean was out...I didn't get too many waves...😔

Shaun is actually very chilled, but you always know when he's out. 

13 hours ago, capediver said:

Always look out for and thoroughly enjoy your excellent movies, whether shot in the middle east or anywhere really.  Mostdef going to include your St Francis route on a ride.  Thanks again.

On 10/8/2022 at 10:12 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

@tygerbergmtb

Are you even going to respond to this? Why should this trail be supported by the club if this is how they go about business? Why should part of our yearly fees go towards funding this farm and their rubbish attitude towards cyclists? Why should your member base put up with it? It's time to reconsider your loyalty. Is it towards the landowners, or your members you're so quick to want to hand out PK's to?

Hi All

While we may not share the same views on hospitality as the land owner, it is his property and we (including our members) will abide by his rules. We can put it to our members at a special vote if we keep Meerendal on our trail network so if you feel that this should be done, please send requests to have it at the November 10 SGM for 2023 club fees (info@tygerbergmtb.co.za).

However, you need to give consideration to the fact that for people new to the sport, it is one of the only trail networks providing green graded trails. For many, it is the closest trail and there is safe parking. This may not be to your liking, but we have over 7000 members and none of us can claim to hold a view point which encompasses every mountain biker. 

So in short, before we go about bashing anybody, please try to include some more "we" and "our" into our conversations and remember that it is a huge juggling act for predominantly volunteers, to cater for the needs and wants of an extremely diverse group of mountain bikers as well as the owners of the land our trails are built on.

1 hour ago, justinafrika said:

Always look out for and thoroughly enjoy your excellent movies, whether shot in the middle east or anywhere really.  Mostdef going to include your St Francis route on a ride.  Thanks again.

Thanks, if you interested in a more adventurous route at Seal's, DM me!!!

16 minutes ago, tygerbergmtb said:

.However, you need to give consideration to the fact that for people new to the sport, it is one of the only trail networks providing green graded trails. For many, it is the closest trail and there is safe parking.

Don't underestimate the importance of this.

My wife and I were at Meerendal this weekend and enjoyed it. She is a very cautious occasional rider and Meerendal is one of the only trails she feels comfortable on. Hoogekraal? Interspersed with techy bits which she needs to walk. Bloemendal? She hates it, because it compresses as much tech as possible into a short distance. Great for us shredders, but unpleasant for someone who rides for meandering scenery. Jonkers? Way too tech. Tokai? Straight up, straight down if you exclude the ST which she's too scared to ride because it's so busy and someone on a Strava run is going to chase up behind her.

We need diversity in trails - as in most areas of life - to make the world a better place. Just because you and I love sending gaps and shredding through rock gardens doesn't mean everyone does. Not everyone rides to "progress" either, some just want to enjoy the scenery and a bit of meander. Let's not forget that.

I think TBMTBC should exclude Meerendal from the membership network

That does not mean people will not be able to ride it, just that Meerendal then has to do their own maintenace and people get to pay the day fee.

For me, it seems Meerendal does not want cyclist there so why should TBMTBC spend engergy there, when they can look at building something simular somewhere else?

27 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

Don't underestimate the importance of this.

My wife and I were at Meerendal this weekend and enjoyed it. She is a very cautious occasional rider and Meerendal is one of the only trails she feels comfortable on. Hoogekraal? Interspersed with techy bits which she needs to walk. Bloemendal? She hates it, because it compresses as much tech as possible into a short distance. Great for us shredders, but unpleasant for someone who rides for meandering scenery. Jonkers? Way too tech. Tokai? Straight up, straight down if you exclude the ST which she's too scared to ride because it's so busy and someone on a Strava run is going to chase up behind her.

We need diversity in trails - as in most areas of life - to make the world a better place. Just because you and I love sending gaps and shredding through rock gardens doesn't mean everyone does. Not everyone rides to "progress" either, some just want to enjoy the scenery and a bit of meander. Let's not forget that.

Very pertinent post.

In fact I am now looking for the likes of the Koeberg road network for a newbie rider, 12 months after a back operation.

Unless I can find something better, we may just circle that start block at Meerendal .....  suggestions WELCOME :)

Is it normal for Meerendal to be closed on Mondays?

I got there this morning and while riding down, the guard sees me and literally closes the gate immediately. I was then told the trails are closed every Monday. I don’t see this stated anywhere on the tygerbergmtb website.

7 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Is it normal for Meerendal to be closed on Mondays?

I got there this morning and while riding down, the guard sees me and literally closes the gate immediately. I was then told the trails are closed every Monday. I don’t see this stated anywhere on the tygerbergmtb website.

Yes.  Been like that for about 3 or 4 years already.