MAAP kit

Ozzie NL

I am working on a potential business opportunity to bring MAAP kit to SA. In all likelihood this would through a direct model with client ordering kit of the website with order fulfilment through couriers, alike Ciovita and Castelli (through Troisport) 

MAAP is top notch kit with matching pricing, i.e. on par with Assos (~R2.5k for jersey an R3.5k for bib).  As part of the research, I need to get a handle on sales potential and hence would appreciate input from the might hub on following:

- Would you be interested in the kit at stated price levels?

- Anyone has feel for annual sales volumes of Castelli and/or Assos in SA

Any other relevant thoughts would also be appreciated

Here in Vancouver, MAAP is the kit to be seen riding in. Assos and the Italian brands like La Passione and Castelli are ready available, but nowhere near as popular. Other popular brands are PNS and Rapha.

I justify the price of Assos based on its comfort and durability. I have no idea what makes MAAP so popular-everyone just says ‘it looks stylish’. I ride my bike to feel good, not to look good, so that’s just not enough reason for my to buy MAAP.

I think you need to find/understand what makes MAAP so popular elsewhere, and use that as the basis to market it.

Somewhat saturated market here in SA, even brands like Castelli aren’t really pushing that much volume see as a stand alone locally. The real money is in the custom side.

There’s a shop called Casquette stocking  MAAAP and Rapha in Rosebank, possibly worth chatting to them.

Would really research hard into the viability,  and accept that for any sustainable return there will need to be significant investment in marketing levels through the line. It’s not that well known in SA and a hard sell given the premium price point.

Really like the MAAP and pas normal stuff, sizing is REALLY on the small side though, something to be aware of. And given the price there really are a lot of other local and import options at comparable styles, materials and quality for better pricing. Ciovita, VanH, RH77, Enjoy, Privateer, Assos, GSG (Giseggi), Tactic, BioRacer, Morvelo are just some of the options available.

43 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Somewhat saturated market here in SA, even brands like Castelli aren’t really pushing that much volume see as a stand alone locally. The real money is in the custom side.

There’s a shop called Casquette stocking  MAAAP and Rapha in Rosebank, possibly worth chatting to them.

Would really research hard into the viability,  and accept that for any sustainable return there will need to be significant investment in marketing levels through the line. It’s not that well known in SA and a hard sell given the premium price point.

Really like the MAAP and pas normal stuff, sizing is REALLY on the small side though, something to be aware of. And given the price there really are a lot of other local and import options at comparable styles, materials and quality for better pricing. Ciovita, VanH, RH77, Enjoy, Privateer, Assos, GSG (Giseggi), Tactic, BioRacer, Morvelo are just some of the options available.

True.

Correct me if I'm wrong but some of ciovita's stuff is top notch quality for the price. So paying for anything else is really just paying for the brand or to be different, which IMO is a small subset of people.

Edited by NeverNotRolling

I've got a MAAP winter jersey that I bought on sale. It's a proper good piece of kit - comfy and punches above its weight in terms of warmth - but winter jerseys seem to allow a lot more differentiation in quality, warmth and opinions than summer jerseys. 

Would I buy MAAP from you: 100000% YES

Is the SA market flooded with new kit manufacturers: 10000000000% yes

While back Privateer use to import Maap.

Currently only get them when in EU/AU. Would be great to get access to Maap's products again in South Africa.

Myself and a number of my cycling buddies would be keen on the idea. Please do keep me posted on the progress😉

CIovita’s jerseys are top notch for the price. And there’s always sales on somewhere so you’re always getting them at discount. I personally don’t see the point in spending more than that on pretty equal quality unless its a status thing.

Bibs are very personal so not really sure tbh. Assos seems to always be the go to and they’re always on sale somewhere as well. CIovita bibs are decent as well.

Someone mentioned custom kit earlier and I think that’s spot on. With the increased danger on the roads these days most people belong to some sort of club or team or something where they wear specific kits.

IMHO if you're not already in importing of textiles and have an established stock/sales system, I wouldn't touch it.

Textiles are a pain, importing is a pain, the cycling industry is the worst and the current economic situation just doesn't look promising.

Unreliable shipping times, massively fluctuating rand value and the ever present SARS/textile relationship partnered with a very picky, demanding and difficult market (the cycling people), it's a recipe for cancer.

Niche brands don't tend to 'make money' or sustain themselves historically, be it frames, clothing, parts etc... The history shows that it's mostly futile

Jewbacca did not mention that importing a clothing item which has a size-break (XS/s/m/l/xl/xxl/xxl) etc, and then different COLOUR-ways has its own set of REAL logistical challenges - not saying don’t do it, just be aware!
good luck

Chris