TREK 9.7 Ex-e

Brettowski

im seriously considering this bike, by all accounts it ticks all the right boxes. But before I lay out my hard earned cash, id like to enquire if there is any feedback that can be shared with regards to this bike model? 

The good, the bad and the ugly is what im asking....

There's a couple of Facebook groups for the EX-E. Consider joining one of those, You will get a lot of info there.   

I got to ride the 9.7 at Wolwespruit. Only did a small loop, but I was very impressed with the EX-e. First off, it does not have the punch of a full powered e-bike. The assistance is much more subtle, but still very impressive. This is not a bike you buy to stick in turbo mode and soft pedal everywhere. You need to put in the effort to get the assistance back from it. I also was shown how to disengage the motor and pedaled it around for a bit with no assistance. It felt very much like a normal bike, no drag at all from the motor. Then there is the motor noise. There is none, it is completely silent. I also hit the green flow line a couple of times. The bike handled the jumps very well and did not feel unwieldy or heavy in the air. The suspension was way too firm for me, but it seemed o work very well. Best to try and get a test ride to see if it matches what your expectations are.

Edited by thebob

Today I got to take one for a test ride.... Well, this has now left me absolutely infatuated with this bike. I like the fact that its the most un-ebike e-bike around. My mate (who I hadn't told that I was demo-ing and ebike) didn't even notice that I was on an bike, other than how impressed he was that I could stick with him on the climbs. (he thought I was on "the juice"...) 

The motor was silent, the assistance from it is so programable that its mind blowing.... Im in love!

Oh, and my order also went into Trek today...wait about a month to take delivery.

• 1 month later...

bought the bike, ridden over 200km in a week on it. all I can say is wow! It feels like you are cheating.... its no normal e-bike, you have to manage the battery and assistance levels if you want to do any distance. So far I've managed to finish a 52km ride with 4% left in reserve. but that also means you ride a fair amount with no assistance.

I love it!

57 minutes ago, Brettowski said:

bought the bike, ridden over 200km in a week on it. all I can say is wow! It feels like you are cheating.... its no normal e-bike, you have to manage the battery and assistance levels if you want to do any distance. So far I've managed to finish a 52km ride with 4% left in reserve. but that also means you ride a fair amount with no assistance.

I love it!

If you dont mind me asking, what do you weigh? And that 52km, what elevation gain was there? And did you play around with the assist levels on the ride, or did you just leave it in eco for the entire ride?

Edited by Chadvdw67

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 1:38 PM, Brettowski said:

I love it!

😂

On 1/6/2023 at 1:53 PM, Chadvdw67 said:

If you dont mind me asking, what do you weigh? And that 52km, what elevation gain was there? And did you play around with the assist levels on the ride, or did you just leave it in eco for the entire ride?

Real pity he is not answering these questions....

And the mix of tar to trails ....

Edited by ChrisF

A mate of mine borrowed a demo 9.8 (I think it was that... It was the top spec though) and put it through its paces here in the south of Joey's. He's a serious Enduro rider and if anyone knows the masts out back here they'll know it's not for the faint hearted - up or down. 

He rode the routes 3 times, did 30km and 720m of climbing. If I recall the battery was at 30 odd % when he was finished, but he did hammer it in all modes to test it out. 

The Exe is a very incredible piece of equipment, and if an enduro rider gives it the green light for the extreme fun factor, then I'm sure its something to take note of. 

It certainly is on my list of goodies to have in the garage. I cannot think of a better way to increase the fun factor levels on a bicycle. I probably won't race it, but for the sheer thrill of getting to the top easier to enjoy the downs more, then sign me up! 

4 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Real pity he is not answering these questions....

And the mix of tar to trails ....

oooops sorry, not always on the forum. I weight 96kgs, am riding fit and manage assistance levels to maximise my distance. elevation gain was 684m. 

• 2 weeks later...

450km done, and loving every minute of it. So far, replaced the handle bar grips as stock grips are hard ops the hands. Find I work just as hard as I do on my analogue bike, just go a tad faster and tad bit further. 

On the single tracks, its an absolute pleasure....so much fun.

1 hour ago, Brawler said:

I think I should block this thread otherwise I'm going to see my self in financial trouble.

Well then, whatever you do, DO NOT go ride one...

By sheer luck, I had one on Saturday whilst in George. What an absolute jol!

The most non-e-bike e-bike out there! Lightweight enough to pedal with no assistance when the battery dies and not as comically powerful as other MTB e-bikes I've been on.  

Already decided this will be my next n+1...